Frustrated...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
...with the Green Dino..I think I do ok with feeding him. He always has a bowl of Roudybush Senior Maintenance pellets handy,he also has his bowl of Bird Street Bistro. I add fresh cauliflower and Broccoli heads with a couple baby carrots,sometimes diced peppers,a chilli pepper..a couple grapes or orange slice or banana,whatever is on hand.
I've gotten snow peas,kale,sweet tater,brussel sprouts,just about everything I can think of,only to find them on his basement floor or on the "grass" in his front yard. When I tell him people in other countrys would love to be munching on this stuff he looks at me like I'm an alien and waddles off:eek: only to find him hours later dumpster diving on his basement floor like I've never fed him.

BB is the complete opposite. He'll try anything once. Loves his bistro makes MMMMMmmmmm sounds as he scarfs down.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hmm, sounds a bit odd! Julio, just eats the 'great stuff' and than goes after whatever he can find because he is an Amazon and loves food!

As part of the joy of being an Amazon is finding new and crazed ways of driving us Humans nuts! Frustrated by an Amazon, lifestyle 101!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
...with the Green Dino..I think I do ok with feeding him. He always has a bowl of Roudybush Senior Maintenance pellets handy,he also has his bowl of Bird Street Bistro. I add fresh cauliflower and Broccoli heads with a couple baby carrots,sometimes diced peppers,a chilli pepper..a couple grapes or orange slice or banana,whatever is on hand.
I've gotten snow peas,kale,sweet tater,brussel sprouts,just about everything I can think of,only to find them on his basement floor or on the "grass" in his front yard. When I tell him people in other countrys would love to be munching on this stuff he looks at me like I'm an alien and waddles off:eek: only to find him hours later dumpster diving on his basement floor like I've never fed him.

BB is the complete opposite. He'll try anything once. Loves his bistro makes MMMMMmmmmm sounds as he scarfs down.

Jim

I can relate. Noodles is a picky thing...very fickle (love the dumpster diving on basement floor analogy btw)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Might be a personality thing, Jim? Some of mine graze respectfully from the bowl, others love to toss overboard and dumpster dive. I've seen all sorts of eating habits from same species!

Same with water.... some strictly drink, others make soup!!

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Jim, you're not alone. Nike won't eat any of the foods that you mentioned except for the fruit. I've given up trying.

As for the cooked foods, she will munch on Bird Street Bistro Veggie mix and a couple of other cooked seed/nut/pasta mixes but only for the few minutes that she eats breakfast, After that she doesn't go back to those bowls.

Most Reactions