Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Porkchop- Yellow sided GCC
Ok so i see birds with the lighting on top of or behind the cage. I love the idea but i have never implemented it myself. My main concerns were that i have a play top cage and wont it burn them while they are out or be too bright when they are on the top cage perch inside, and also if i put the long light fixture beihind their cages on the wall, isnt that just annoying to be at eye level with all day (as the parrot).

I do get my birds (CAG, SI, and soon LSC2) out on a harness during the summer, but we do have harsh winters and the natural sunlight isn't an option.

Is the lighting 100% necessary as i do have them in a well lit room with a large picture window (but i have heard UV cant pass through glass) and if it is, does anyone have any links to lights/fixtures they have or recommend, maybe a pic pf your lighting set up with the brand you are using?

M birds are beautifully feathered as of right now, but i am always looking for was to improve their lives here!

thanks so much!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Full spectrum lighting is a waste of money! In order to simulate they need to be quite strong, thus expensive to order bulbs, strong blinding lights, expensive to run, etc. So any white florescent lighting work work.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Full spectrum lighting is a waste of money! In order to simulate they need to be quite strong, thus expensive to order bulbs, strong blinding lights, expensive to run, etc. So any white florescent lighting work work.
I've also read (and heard from my vet) he thinks it's a waste also. They say the bulbs are not "FULL spectrum" for long, as the bulbs are continually getting weaker and weaker... and you can't tell at what point the beneficial spectrum of light is gone. If that's true, then my concern here would be cost of wasting electricity, as electricity going all day long adds up. That might outweigh the benefit of getting the full spectrum only when bulbs are new :31:

Last edited:
OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
thank you all so much for your opinion, I have always seen people with their light and thought, geez i'm not doing bad, but not doing the best for my guys!

It did seem like it would be so bright and annoying to see from the cage and i had no idea the full spectrum went away so quickly!

Thanks so much jerseywendy and i apologize for not seeing that sticky, i am looking into it now!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No, please don't apologize!! It's all right. :)

FWIW, I use lights over my cages, but nothing fancy. I noticed my fids are more active when the lights are on, especially on a gloomy day. ;) (I use Power compact fluorescents, they hardly use any electricity at all)

OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
compact florescent, i will look into that. what really made me question it was the lighting the too had at the pet store that i fell in love with lsc2 at, but he was a 'monster" out of his cage. I was intrigued because the bird had 0 time out of his cage and from what i have learned, it was a bit overcrowded. He did have the uv lighting though and his feathers were in amazing condition considering his lack of care (the pet store was a bit dark). i would have thought a too in that circumstance typically would have began plucking or over preening....

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
You'll have less heat output if you use T5's, but if you live in the north, like Wendy, a little extra heat might be nice :)

I think my partner is using T12s on her finches with a cheap fixture from Home Depot.

Bourkes

Jan 14, 2014
Media
Albums
Ok, I read a lot about this and see that LED lighting is preferred and cheaper to run and longer lasting.
My issue with all these studies if that as far as I know all birds have three types of light receptors in their eyes.
They have the three we have and one type that responds to UV light.
Is it not safe to assume that birds notice a lack in UV under artificial lights?
I have read that some types of birds produce more males than females under artificial lighting.

I have heard of people using blacklights in addition to regular flourescent lights to provide UV without going to "full spectrum" lamps yet have seen no serious studies about this.
Has anyone used blacklights or have any thoughts about using them?
I have an outbuilding that I want to set up breeding pairs in and will be wanting a good solution for artificial lighting for them.
I am thinking of LED lights with a few blacklights to add some extra UV.

OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Ok, so it is necessary (or at least a boost) for breeding i am assuming, but when it comes to just having healthy and happy feather kids is the summer sun good enough? Along with the picture window during the winter?
I have had my eckie for about 5 yrs now without any negative affects. Then came our CAG and she was a 15 yr old re-home who plucked a bit. She is doing great now.
I think that since now i am getting a too "things are getting serious" if that makes sense, and i want the 100% best for everyone.

after hearing how hard toos are to keep, im looking at all of my options as far as what i am/am not doing for my fids.

with how annoying i would think the light would be at eye level for them i am really looking for some solid yes or no to whether its worth it or not.

black light was always fun though, i wonder how they perceive it?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I do use the avian lights on all my cages. We only have around 8 hours of daylight here in the winter, and a lot of the time it is cloudy or snowing so no sun. My window in one of my bird rooms is also very small. My lights are above the cages attached to the wall whenever possible so it isn't shining in sideways at them. I do have a few of the floor lamps as well.
I don't think we can give you a solid yes or no, as everyone's situation is different:)
I don't think that whether you use lights or not though reflects on you being a good parront. I think the fact that you are asking questions makes you a wonderful parront, though!
Good luck with whichever course you decide on!

OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
I'm wondering if it would be worth it here. The room is well enough lit that if they were on you would not be able to notice (unless it was shining directly in your eyes). Even in the winter when it is dark they get a decent amount of light from the window and end up coming from room to room with me.
So it is bright, i was concerned about them not getting the benefit from UV when its winter.
I think i will hold off for now, we have the "natural light" bulbs in all of our light fixtures and they seem to be feathered nicely.
Thanks so much!

Most Reactions

Latest posts