Funny green cheek behavior question

EugeneKiselev

Jul 25, 2022
Jersey City, NJ
Parrots
Kivi is a green cheeked conure, born Feb 28, 2021
Hello everyone,
I've been reading the forum (very appreciate the help parrots' parents get here!) for a while but had to register to ask a question about our 1.5 year green cheeked conure Kivi behavior.
When she hears a laud noise (like a vacuum or when one of us is singing :)) she fluffs and start a sort of funny walking from side to side. I made a short video

please low the volume as the video is loud!

I was hoping that maybe somebody knows what this means ?

Thank you

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums, and thanks for stepping out of the shadows and officially becoming a member of our flock!

I'm not sure about the specifics as to why your GCC may be reacting to the vacuum cleaner that way, but mine, when I had him (God rest his precious little soul) used to almost always throw himself into his birdie bath whenever I did the vacuuming - and it was just the sweetest thing ever! Maybe you could try placing a shallow dish of water near Kivi and see how she reacts? She is a gorgeous baby too, btw :love:

OP
EugeneKiselev

EugeneKiselev

Jul 25, 2022
Jersey City, NJ
Parrots
Welcome to the forums, and thanks for stepping out of the shadows and officially becoming a member of our flock!

I'm not sure about the specifics as to why your GCC may be reacting to the vacuum cleaner that way, but mine, when I had him (God rest his precious little soul) used to almost always throw himself into his birdie bath whenever I did the vacuuming - and it was just the sweetest thing ever! Maybe you could try placing a shallow dish of water near Kivi and see how she reacts? She is a gorgeous baby too, btw :love:
Thank you :rainbow1:
She does that not only when we are vacuuming. Even if one of us is dancing around or singing she starts doing that. I thought every green cheek does it but it looks like for now this is something unique about our birdie.
This explains why I couldn't find anything about this in the web.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
She's posturing! My Gcc does that when he gets really excited or in the morning when I take off his cover. It's so cute when they do it! It's definitely an excited dance! I have heard on occasion it can by territorial but based on what causes her to do it, I would say it isn't. I've also seen some Gcc do this when they are 'dancing' Hope this helps! 😊

OP
EugeneKiselev

EugeneKiselev

Jul 25, 2022
Jersey City, NJ
Parrots
She's posturing! My Gcc does that when he gets really excited or in the morning when I take off his cover. It's so cute when they do it! It's definitely an excited dance! I have heard on occasion it can by territorial but based on what causes her to do it, I would say it isn't. I've also seen some Gcc do this when they are 'dancing' Hope this helps! 😊
This helps of course ! So we're not the only ones with this dancing :) good to know! Thank you

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Zero is is right more or less..... Not a dance but a "I'm a green cheek and I'm still in charge posturing....."

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Or, “look what a big tough bird I am! Fear my beak and my relentless squawk!”

Willow does a version of this. I think all birds must do this sometimes to show how tough and scary they are.

Most Reactions

Latest posts