Funny Macaw stories

Aelle

May 15, 2013
I have a funny macaw story, though it wasn't my macaw.

Years ago, I took my dachshund into a pet store for some supplies. There was a beautiful blue-and-gold sitting on a perch near the front of the store, and everyone who walked by him kept trying to get him to say "hello". He ignored everyone until my mom walked up to him with the dog, and he looked straight at Rusty (my dachshund) and said, "Hello!"

Rusty jumped back, wide-eyed and as shocked as a little dachshund could possibly look. The entire time we were in the store, the macaw refused to talk to anyone except my dog!

Mommajack

Jun 11, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Rudy the Ruby Macaw
Rudy was shredding newspaper on the floor of his cage and after a bit climbed back up to his perch, dragging a trail of paper with him that had wrapped itself around his foot.

He looked at it, cocked his head, looked at me, looked at it again. He raised his foot to examine it more...put his foot down...raised it again...looked at me...put his foot down...

After doing this several times he reached down and delicately removed it with his beak. It fell to the floor of his cage, and he leaned over a bit and cocked his head again to see where it fell.

Then he jumped down to the paper and grabbed it up with his beak, drug it back to his perch, and tried to stick it on his foot again.

He's such a goof-ball.

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
While I was at my weekly bird-store visit, there was the beautiful blue and gold just staring at me...I walked over to her cage (still standing around a meter away from the cage) and she literally unlocks the latch and opens the cage door, and starts waddling over to me. The owner was shocked and was at a loss of words. I just stared at the bird at my feet in astonishment when it abruptly yells "what ya lookin at??"...the owner started cracking up...and i started to laugh... and the macaw just started to chime in bobbing her head and laughing... one of the coolest bird moments I ever had :)

csperkins3

Jun 20, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Ozzy - CAG (born April 2010)

Bubbles - B&G Macaw (born Jan. 2012)
We had only had our B&G for about a month when the neighbors and their visitors came over to visit Bubbles. We were all standing around and my hubby was telling them something about Bubbles and she turned and look at him and plain as day said "shut up" while he was in mid sentence, of course everyone busted up laughing as the timing couldn't have been better. My hubby's jaw dropped and the look on his face was just as priceless. I only wish I had been video taping. I had never heard her say that before but now she yells it regularly. The people we got her from must have said that to her a lot because we don't say those words. It sure was funny, though I hope she quits saying that soon. LOL

Kaylea

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Skyler-Blue n gold macaw
Hiya. A,all... Our 7 month old blue n gold macaw. Skyler has learned lots of things n words... She recently learned how to laugh... We have had her since she was 7 weeks old,...The other day she kept yelling ARAYNA. That's my 10 year old daughter... She thought we called her to come down stairs like we always do...so were sitting there laughing n told her it was skyler!.. she then yelled it again so she walks over n says What?? Skyler looks at her and says What?? Back to her Lol... Finely she says you want out? N opens her cage.. she climbs out up to top on the door looks down at my daughter n says sike!! N flush off top to my husband Lol she learned this cause my sons always playing with his boys.. this birds are very smart!!

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
How my morning went the other day.
I go and wake my oldest up, and come back to start working on the computer a bit more. At that point Phoenix begins to growl loudly like one of the dogs, and whisper "Hi" to where you can just barely hear it. Lucy growls back at him and goes back to her favorite spot to sleep. Now comes the fun part. Phoenix starts growling loud, and say "Hi" and "Hello" louder as Lucy starts yelling "Stop it" back to him which he responds "Quit it, bad dog" and he then starts laughing.

Sassysmom

Oct 3, 2013
Geez, There are so many. Where do I start? I guess one of my favorite stories is the day I was working on Sassy's big outdoor cage in my back yard. The area she was in was on the back porch and the one side closest to where I was working was made of plywood so she couldn't see me. But I was talking to her as I worked. Then I heard some chewing type sounds and without looking up I said, "what are you doing, trying to chew a hole in the wood so you can see what I'm doing out here"?
Then I turned my head to look up at where this noise was coming from and just about died laughing..... Sure enough there was a hole in the wood about the size of a dime and all you could see was one eyeball peering out at me.
Too frigging cute.
I love my Sassy girl. By the way I no longer keep her in any cage. She has a perch and a swing in the living room. (she came to me with a damaged wing and will never be flighted)
Which brings me to another funny thing she does. Sometimes at night I get up to use the restroom or something and my movement will wake her up and kind of frighten her for a second. I always tell her "it's ok baby"
So now whenever anything scares her or if she sences that I am frustrated or annoyed or if I scare her she tells me "It's okay baby" And she says it in the most endearing, quiet little voice. I love this beautiful bird. And I kind of think she likes me too (most of the time..........):p

Sassysmom

Oct 3, 2013
Beautiful sentiment. All birds deserve to be loved. (Except maybe pigeons) Then again I've never known any pigeons personally. lol!

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
Saturday warmed up quite remarkably to 81 after setting record cold the week before. I took Clifford (Scarlet) and Kayko (B&G) to Riverside Park to enjoy the beautiful day showing my birds to children. A 5 year old little girl walks up to me and says "Are You from the Zoo?"

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
I was at my nephew's christening this past weekend with my two kids and outside the reception hall there were three clipped macaws sitting on a set of perches/cages and (of course) all the kids at the party were gathered around admiring them (and me too :p).

A few of kids were offering them sunflower seeds but they had no interest in them (and had a big bowl full of food anyway). Everyone lost interest after a while and wandered off except for my daughter and me, who hung around for a bit just watching them quietly.

When we went to leave one of the macaws climbed down and followed my daughter on foot and asked her "Seed?". She gave him one and he ate it and ran back up onto his cage.

It was just so adorable. I'm a little in love now. Wonder if Zephyr would tolerate a giant friend :D

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
My husband was saying that as a boy he always wanted a "pirate parrot" but back then he wouldn't have known what a macaw was. Sunny was sitting quietly listening. When she heard that she sat straight up and said " What? Das true?". Lol. Little egotist.

randy

Jun 16, 2014
springfield Illinois
Parrots
1 via-verda ( hybrid )
My first bird was bought for my wife, I knew nothing about parrots of any kind. He was a blue & gold purchased at a local pet store. All the way home he kept saying ouch. I thought the ride was uncomfortable. I get him home and reach through the bars to pet him. He crushed my ring into my finger. I pulled back, saying you guessed it OUCH. Same bird aprox. 2 months later we are sitting on the couch watching TV, the bird in a cage behind the couch, comes a voice saying " like my sister? " then in another voice " yeah, her butt ". Needless to say we were speechless.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
It was just so adorable. I'm a little in love now. Wonder if Zephyr would tolerate a giant friend :D

Selestine, I wouldn't doubt it a bit. A few months ago we moved our U2's cage out of the bird room, thinking he would enjoy a bigger space, still in the family room and still next to his small and medium friends. He screamed until we returned him to his flock.

Greenclaws

Jul 1, 2014
Oh my gosh someone PLEASE post more funny stories! These are hilarious!! I read through all five pages in one sitting and forced my boyfriend to listen while I read different ones out to him. Haha!

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
He's trying to find that mismatched sock :D

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
When we finished supper tonight my husband said "I guess we are all finished" as he got up to clear the dishes "Waz bout dazert?" Sunny inquired. (We rarely eat dessert and she certainly doesn't) "Did you just ask for dessert?" I asked her. "Sooo smart" she responded. "Such a good girl." Lol. She is not modest and no, she didn't get any dessert.

Last edited:

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
We recently had some new neighbors move in two doors down, The mom and dad are in their thirties, mom's 18 year old sister, and they have with 3 boys ages 8 10 and 12, and a 6 year old girl. The whole family was on my front lawn the other evening looking at Maya, my blue and gold, and playing with my other parrots too. Maya LOVES talking to kids. She will open her wings, pin her eyes, and chatter non stop. Well, she was on he stand outside, and the oldest boy gets real close and says "Can i touch her?" and before i could reply Maya says "No! "No!" which made everyone laugh. One of the boys started getting all excited and started jumping up and down (The 8 yer old) and Maya quickly began telling him to "Stop it!!" to which the father said "Man i should let your bird do the parenting." We all started laughing (Maya joining in) and then she said "Want some nuts?" and climbed down her perch and waddled to the glass door trying to get inside..

Guess she didn't like the idea of all those kids moving in!

(Now she gets their attention when they ride their bikes down the street by screaming and yelling "HIIIIIII" in her high pitched voice.

Most Reactions

Latest posts