Funny Macaw stories

SevereMacaw

Feb 5, 2012
Parrots
Severe Macaw
I was talking to my Mother on the phone and my Severe Macaw sat on my lap saying "Hello! Hello! Hello!" :green1:

Jerakk

Feb 19, 2012
Parrots
Congo African Grey - Gabe
Sulfur Crested Cockatoo - Suki
Our Macaw that we ended up owning we named Fantail. The reason being that my step father had found him one day while he was in the navy. The had been a few thousand miles in the middle of no where when the poor bird showed up on the fantail of the ship (back end of the ship near the hanger deck) and it was completely exhausted and beat up. He wouldn't let anyone go near him with the exception of my stepfather. He was a great bird while we had him.. what was odd was that he did have a previous owner. You could tell by how well mannered he was around people.

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
Macaws have such wonderful sense of humor I am amazed there aren't hundreds of stories here. I can tell hundreds of funny stories just about our Catalina macaw, Sunny. Here are a couple. My husband took her along running errands one day and pulled through a McDonalds drive thru where he ordered ice tea at the speaker. When he pulled up to the pay window Sunny waddled off her perch between the seats, leaped on the steering wheel and leaning out the window yelled "French Fries" at the startled cashier. It made the cashiers day and Sunny did get her french fries. LOL We were at a horseshow when a very small girl came up with her parents. "Look, Sweetheart. Do you know what that is?" they asked. She looked intently for a moment and replied "Quack, quack" "No" they replied that is a tweet, tweet like we talked about. Remember?" She stared again and said firmly "Quack, quack". They corrected her again and then Sunny decided to end the argument. She leaned down to the little girl and in a conspiratory tone said "Quack, quack." That little girl went away knowing that Mom and Dad weren't always right because she heard it from the horses or in this case parrots mouth.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
Macaws have such wonderful sense of humor I am amazed there aren't hundreds of stories here. I can tell hundreds of funny stories just about our Catalina macaw, Sunny. Here are a couple. My husband took her along running errands one day and pulled through a McDonalds drive thru where he ordered ice tea at the speaker. When he pulled up to the pay window Sunny waddled off her perch between the seats, leaped on the steering wheel and leaning out the window yelled "French Fries" at the startled cashier. It made the cashiers day and Sunny did get her french fries. LOL We were at a horseshow when a very small girl came up with her parents. "Look, Sweetheart. Do you know what that is?" they asked. She looked intently for a moment and replied "Quack, quack" "No" they replied that is a tweet, tweet like we talked about. Remember?" She stared again and said firmly "Quack, quack". They corrected her again and then Sunny decided to end the argument. She leaned down to the little girl and in a conspiratory tone said "Quack, quack." That little girl went away knowing that Mom and Dad weren't always right because she heard it from the horses or in this case parrots mouth.

haha, these stories make me laugh!! :D

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Not mine, but stumbled across it.

I burst into laughter when the macaw started singing at 1.10

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z36V0xveDV4]MANGO MACAW SINGS AND DANCES TO DISNEY RIDE THEME MUSIC - YouTube[/ame]

A singing voice that only a parent can love :D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I've got a story to share: My Niko is going to be 3 in October, and he's picking up words and phrases left and right. One evening during cuddle time he suddenly insisted he wanted "Yum Yum". Yes, he begs for food that way :) In any case, I had nothing on me to offer to him, and told him, "I don't have any." Again, this time a bit louder and more persistent he says "YUM YUM!" "Niko, I'm sorry I don't have anything here," I replied. He looked at me and then said: "Let's go get it." I nearly fell out of my chair, as I certainly didn't expect THAT response. But I did get up and rewarded him with a treat and Niko has since replied in the same way many times. :)

Last edited:

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SA1ev.png

Saw this online a while ago. The owner was so lucky to get it back!

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
I have a McDonalds story as well. When I first started taking my Scarlet Clifford out in public they did let me inside McDonalds with him on my shoulder (not any more for health reasons) Standing in a long line and waiting Clifford pipes up with a phrase he has learned in the past "Ca'Mon...Let's GO" The cashier gave a really startled look and did then hurry while all the people in line laughed!

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Birds & Sleep

I first had the experience described below a couple of years after acquiring Zaffer. It was amusing as well as endearing for me. I wrote about it back in 2007.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night I fell asleep on the couch with my Hy, Zaffer. As I've mentioned before on a few lists, Zaf loves it when this happens because he can use me as his bed mattress. When he's stretched out asleep across my chest, rather than turning his head backwards and placing the end of his beak under his wing, he either lays one of his cheeks on one of my pectoral muscles like a pillow, or props his head up on the tip of his beak and somehow keeps it perfectly balanced while he sleeps.

Well, early this morning I awakened just after 4 AM (on the couch) to find Zaf completely asleep on my chest with his head balanced on the tip of his beak. I began to try and think of a way to get him to one of his perches without bothering him too much... he was truly out cold. I ended up opting to leave him alone so he could continue his slumber.

Now here comes the amusingly conclusive part. After 10 minutes more or so of sleep, Zaf slowly draped both of his wings outward and downward (the tips briefly came to rest on me) and went into a dream state. He begin mimicking a very subtle flying motion... his wings started (ever so slightly) moving up and down and up and down. They were only moving about an eighth to a quarter of an inch with each flap, but it lasted for several minutes.

I think most of us have seen the legs of dogs and/or cats mimic walking or running motions while lying on their sides or on their backs when in dreamland. I'm now convinced that birds dream about flying. And why wouldn't they? Okay, I suppose that's a no brainer when you think about it.

For some reason this experience really made my day :04:

Last edited:

Gator

Dec 29, 2012
Tennessee Mountains
Parrots
2 B & G's, African Grey, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sun Conure, Parakeet, Budgie, Cockatiel.
Last year, I was very ill and unable to get out of bed for any length of time. Gator, my B&G stayed with me at all times. He became so protective of me, every time one of my home-health nurses came to see me, he would have to be caged. If my husband did not cage him, he would charge them. One day, my nurse came and my husband was not home. I had no way of caging Gator so I thought I could just cuddle him while she was there...this actually worked out better than I hoped. When the nurse went to take my blood pressure, Gator bowed up and yelled "my momma, No!" From that day forward, as long as the nurse acknowledged his "momma", he never again charged anyone again.

Jan 4, 2013
I live in Northwest Ohio.
Parrots
Coby is a Green Wing Macaw. He is seven years old. :0)
My Coby has never been one to try to fly but he climbs around very well. He has been known to crawl down off his perch and go walking around the house searching for me if I happen to not be in the same room as him (or just because he feels like it :0) LOL). One day he was on his perch in the living room and I was in the kitchen doing the dishes (the living room and kitchen are open and only separated by an island). Anyway, I was wearing a long skirt that day and all of the sudden I felt something pulling on my skirt. I looked down and there was Coby on the floor yanking on my skirt. It was the cutest thing.

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Now that I am retired I take my Scarlet Clifford with me everywhere. He has been inside the Phillips Highway Wal-Mart at least 30 times this year. Today I was there and a little boy asked me if I was a pirate. The cashier said to me "You know you have become a real celebrity around here."

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
Now that I am retired I take my Scarlet Clifford with me everywhere. He has been inside the Phillips Highway Wal-Mart at least 30 times this year. Today I was there and a little boy asked me if I was a pirate. The cashier said to me "You know you have become a real celebrity around here."
you can take parrots in wal-mart?? :eek:

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
you can take parrots in wal-mart?? :eek:

Last summer I was talking with the manager at Wal-Mart and he said it is company policy never to refuse anyone entry into Wal-mart with any kind of animal. I ran away with that one as now I NEVER go into Wal-Mart without Clifford on my shoulder and have been it other Wal-Marts in our city and no one has ever questioned it

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
Lucy my B&G is 8 months now. She makes us laugh, and as she gets older she gets funnier. She always looks like she is bored, and tortured when she is in her cage (mind you she is in a huge double Macaw cage loaded with toys & perches by herself). I keep my birds in my living room/dining room because we have an open floor plan, and that's where my family is the majority of the time so they're with us. I felt bad for her. I was wondering if she didn't know really how to play or what. Our breeder babied her, and only sold her to us cause he knew she would be spoiled. He didn't want her going to anyone because of her crooked beak even though it is not a health issue. So I put the birds up so I could cook because I don't want one coming in the kitchen while I cook, and getting injured. I start cooking dinner, and hear this loud racket coming from the other room where the birds are. I walked around the corner. The tiels are just chilling, and Lucy is standing there looking bored & depressed. I go back in the kitchen, and hear the racket again. Walk back in the room the Tiels are eating and chewing on their toys while Lucy is standing on a different perch looking bored, and depressed. Yet again I go back into the kitchen, and I start to hear the noise again. So I slowly peak my head around the corner. There is Lucy hanging upside down by one toe from the top of her cage attacking a couple of toys. I move back into the kitchen, and then begin to make noise as I walk out. Come in the other room there she is standing on a perch looking bored, and depressed. I kept peaking around the corner watching her then would make noise when I came back in the room. This went on most of the time I was cooking. Finally I came around the corner quietly so she didn't hear me. She saw me, and just froze as she was hanging there. I know she was thinking "You don't see me. You don't see me having fun in here." lol. Now she runs around, and plays in her cage all the time.

I have a bunch of stories, but won't share them all at once.

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
I got this crazy idea last week to try to get my B&G macaw Frankie to learn the Andy Griffith theme song. I know, probably below what a macaw can do, but I thought it might be fun. Anyway, I put on the show and I'm whistling to her along with the show, and she keeps trying to whistle back, but can't seem to make the right sound. After a few tries, I take a break and just let the show play through. Frankie then starts inching her way towards the TV. I set her down on the front of the stand near the TV, and she seems totally mesmerized by the show, turning her head and watching intently. Then, somebody cracks a joke or does something funny on the show and the cheesy 60s laugh track comes on. Frankie starts laughing right along with it. Even though I didn't succeed on the whistling thing the first time, she found some new entertainment, and learned how to laugh!

emmett518

May 15, 2013
My girlfriend and I spend Saturday morning sleeping a bit later than normal (which for us, is 8 AM instead of 6). We usually spend those two hours chatting about a variety of things, while holding each others' hands.

One morning, we're chatting, and enjoying close time, and I feel her massaging my toes. After a bit, it feels so good, I tell her that her toe technique is wonderful.

She looks at me with a strange look, and informs me that she hasn't touched my feet at all. Looking down, Dita, my B&G has walked off of his perch, climbed up the bed clothes, snuggled under the covers and is playing with my toes, all the while giving me looks to ask why we haven't fed him yet.

:blue1:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
My girlfriend and I spend Saturday morning sleeping a bit later than normal (which for us, is 8 AM instead of 6). We usually spend those two hours chatting about a variety of things, while holding each others' hands.

One morning, we're chatting, and enjoying close time, and I feel her massaging my toes. After a bit, it feels so good, I tell her that her toe technique is wonderful.

She looks at me with a strange look, and informs me that she hasn't touched my feet at all. Looking down, Dita, my B&G has walked off of his perch, climbed up the bed clothes, snuggled under the covers and is playing with my toes, all the while giving me looks to ask why we haven't fed him yet.

:blue1:

Now that Dita knows how to get your attention, be careful not to get him upset...upset parrot beaks don't tickle on tender piggy-wiggies.....

Most Reactions