Funny Macaw stories

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I don't have a macaw, but I have a macaw story!

Back in 1984, in New Mexico, when I happened into a bird store on a whim, and wound up taking the Rickeybird home with me, I met a macaw there. It was a lovely Blue and Gold female who was (I was told) very much in love with the Rickeybird. She was a real COUGAR because he was only 3 months old!!!! She screamed and flapped as I left with her "beau" (very sad; boy did *I* feel bad, but then again, I was in love, too!).

Haven't thought about that in ages until MonicaM posted a picture and story awhile back about a Patagonian Conure X Blue and Gold Macaw HYBRID!
https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=1329724@N20&m=pool&q=chaz

Makes me wonder if there's some sort of natural affinity between the two species...

:eek: How is that mix even possible?? I get how macaws can breed across the species, but there is a considerable size difference. I am seeing a very flat conure after that date :p

I know! It's a stretch, but... the Rickeybird is a good 20 inches long, and the macaw hen was small-ish, maybe 28 inches long as I recall. As for flat conure... well, the male Rickeybird would have been (ahem, choke, cough) on top, not getting flat!
I am laughing so hard right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Come on Gail, you must know a Macaw x Patty conure hybrid is impossible. Photoshop pic notwithstanding.

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
When I am in the kitchen cooking, my B&G usually sits on the edge of his cage and has a full view of the kitchen. When I go into the pantry and out of sight he usually yells "Where AAARRREEEE YYOOOUUUU?" (translated from Danish ;) )

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
One day I had poured boiling water from the kettle into a bowl in the sink. When I had put the kettle back and going back to the sink my B&G said "Careful!" (again translated from Danish)

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Did I eat the popcorn? What makes you think that? :52:
sillein-albums-tristan-picture17310-popcorn-thief.jpg

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Did I eat the popcorn? What makes you think that? :D

sillein-albums-destino-picture17310-popcorn-thief.jpg

The story behind the photo was:

I was standing in the kitchen and was making popcorn the old fashioned way. Tino was sitting on the edge of the kitchen sink. When I was done I poured the popcorn into two bowls, one for birds without salt and one for humans. I offered Tino a popcorn, but he wasn't interested. I then had to go into the living room to get somethin (don't remember what). When I returned I found Tino with his entire head buried in the bird popcorn bowl. When he realised I was there, he stopped and looked at me. (I don't want ONE, I want the ALL) :D

Charlie65

Feb 28, 2017
Sebastian my scarlet has a large vocabulary...I've recently learned I need to watch Netflix stand up somewhere else...the other day he was bothering the amazon and I told him to leave her alone she didn't want to play. After a few times he said, "Shut the F*** up!" I looked at him and asked what did you say, and he looked right at me and repeated it. I guess he thinks I'm a nagLOL I told him that wasn't nice but I don't think he cares. Since turning 18 he's been very ornery with words and more than usual pinching. I do have to say for a few days following out of the blue he said, "I love you mama" so he is a sweetie :)

deudyscout

Jun 15, 2017
Parrots
Ike-Blue and Gold Macaw
I have a Blue and Gold :blue1: Named Ike who is 11 I got him in August from a women who couldn't care for him anymore. A couple months after getting him i had his cage open in the living room and i was in the kitchen folding laundry and all the sudden i heard a very loud scream "MOM" and i turned around and he had walked in the kitchen and was right behind me. Now at this point i was still petrified cause he still really didn't like me and he grabbed my pant leg and i just froze. He then proceeded to climb up my jeans and my shirt too my shoulder. I was still frozen and he sat there for about 10 seconds then he decided he would bite my ear...very hard and my first reaction was to say ow and he then also said ow. I tried to ignore it and i said "why did you" and he decided he didn't want me talking so he bit my mouth so i slowly walked back into the living room and he climbed back onto his cage.

it is June of the following year and I have now learned so much about him.

AnnLorraine

Jan 31, 2016
Hawley PA
Parrots
2 Blue and Gold Macaws
I got my first Macaw Dolly two years ago she was a rescue around 8 years although she trusted me right away at three months I I thought she would never step up or come to me. Even reading everything I could on training and knowing not to growl when they bite she was on her cage door she almost got me good although not bleeding it hurt so I lost it and waggled my finger at her growling " don't you ever do that again" etc etc her response as I was still ranting was fluffing her feather up and then loudly told me to shut up. I have never laughed so much I did shut up she taught me well these days we are a match made in heaven she is so affectionate and loving but I still have to remind her I am boss often. She has never told me to shut up again but then I have never been so animated and angry with her since

Cthebird

Sep 19, 2017
East coast of USA
Parrots
I now have a young Hahn's macaw. I used to have a Pacific Parrotlet that lived until almost 15. Before that I had a budgie.
My Hahn's macaw (mini macaw) loves to play on top of his cage, even though he also has a play gym right next to it. His cage is actually curved on the top (not flat), but despite that he likes to roll over on his back on top of it. His cage is also close to the wall in the back. He climbs up the back of the cage and rubs his back against the wall like a back massage.

For Christmas we gave him a few new toys, but he most loves the new toy with the big bell and colorful ropes with big beads on it. We put it next to his favorite perch. He wakes us up in the morning by ringing the bell over and over again. The bell makes a rather loud sound.

We have taught him to makes some animal sounds. He meows, says "woof", makes the ****-a-doodle-doo sound, and loves to laugh like us.

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Sunny the blue and gold macaw.
So the other day I dyed my hair. I thought for sure it was going to take a bit for Sunny to get used to it. I went from pale blonde to hot pink (like so bright it looks like I might be wearing a wig...haha), and the first thing she does when she sees me is pull her head back and pin her eyes. She made a little noise and then immediately started flirting with me, showing me her wings and snaking her head over and over. When I started talking to her, she got even more enamored, and pinned her eyes the whole time! It was so cute that I couldn't stop laughing. The next morning when I fed her and said good morning, she went through the whole routine again, and stayed on my arm for a good portion of the day. She's such a weirdo! Definitely the best compliment on my hair so far, and it came from a parrot.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Sunny (oh my, there are a lot of those around it seems ;) it's a big family ) was on the floor for the first time since she moved in.
I had no idea what to expect- and there is only one way to find out.

So....when she made a bee-line for my toes I just assumed she wanted up and away from the new and probably scary floor by climbing up.
I did not expect a beak around my big toe, a headshake and a beakfull of regurgitated peanutbutter!

and *that* is how you find out your macaw thinks your feet are extremely sexy?

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Sunny (oh my, there are a lot of those around it seems ;) it's a big family ) was on the floor for the first time since she moved in.
I had no idea what to expect- and there is only one way to find out.

So....when she made a bee-line for my toes I just assumed she wanted up and away from the new and probably scary floor by climbing up.
I did not expect a beak around my big toe, a headshake and a beakfull of regurgitated peanutbutter!

and *that* is how you find out your macaw thinks your feet are extremely sexy?

Now THAT was funny and expected:D

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
A 3 year old drinking on the job is not funny!

discoduck-albums-rudy-brandywine-picture20017-tip-back.jpg

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Never let your parrot watch Nat. Geo. unsupervised!

You know Sunny absolutely *loves* to dunk her entire beak up to the ceres in my morning-tea?
I thought I had her beat by drinking it from a large sturdy beerglass (half-full) instead.

No such luck: now she just grabs (a part of) a tissue, dunks it in and sits there looking excedingly smug while rolling it around in her beak and squishing the absorbed tea everywhere ... (and then goes back for seconds/ thirds)

Either she is bloody clever or she saw that documentary with the problemsolving crows (where they dunk small stones in water to get at a tasty morsel they otherwise could not reach).

(Hmmmm, she has been watching a lot of C.S.I. as well ...should I start to worry? )

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
and it's getting worse...
no assassination attempts (sofar anyway)- but today I had been rather busy from the early hours on so in the afternoon the heat got to me and I ended up on the couch doing some unplanned catnapping.

Not sure if it is a regular event for you veterans, but as a macaw-newbie waking up because somebody is trying to stick a tongue in your nose ... :eek:

(I *did* check the cages before I snoozed of, but somehow overlooked she was quietly sitting on top instead of inside ... )

Anyway- she celebrated my return to the land of the concious people (who block their noses ) bij reaching over and pulling a hair out of my eyebrow (making sure I would not accidentlaly doze off again).

Normally I do not let her near my face at all-
so she had a blast exploring?
(It's not that pretty a face, but I like it in its usual unholey state.)

Doscar

Aug 18, 2021
Kentucky
Parrots
Oscar a 14-year-old blue gold macaw.
Coco a 22-year-old Congo African grey.
Oscar was a rescue I am his 3rd home and hopefully last.
Coco is from an older couple, I'm his 2nd home.
About a year ago I had to have shoulder surgery and was off work for a few months. This is when Oscar (my B&G macaw) figured out where and what my bed was. I had a hard time getting to sleep so I took every chance I could squeeze in a nap during the day. He thought I was ignoring him so I would open his cage and he would normally just go hang out in the bathroom closet, I don't know why but he loves it in there. One day I woke up with him in the chair next to my bed saying Hello, hello, hello, and just laughing his but off. Now just about every time he is out of his cage and can't find me, he goes for that chair to check the bed.
IMG_0539.JPG

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Pancho, my Harlequin Macaw, pooped and it landed on my flip-flop. I put Pancho on my shoulder and took the flip-flop to the sink to wash it off. As I was washing it, Pancho says "Hahahaha, I love you." You can't tell me these birds don't know what they're saying. Or that they aren't smart a**es too! 😂

Most Reactions

Latest posts