Galah cockatoo Feather issue

Riccardo

Mar 28, 2023
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
Hello, I got a Galah cockatoo 2 weeks ago. He was born on the 14th of May 2022 and is extremely cuddly and playful. However, when I saw him for the first time he had perfect feather. 2 months later we bought him and realised that he had a very weird plumage. The shop told us that he was molting. We also consulted the vet and he said the same thing and examined his feces. Everything was fine. He is just a bit light in weight.

His feathers are split and he lacks pink feathers on his chest and grey ones on his back. He just has his white fluff. He eats well, plays, sleeps, drinks and does everything fine, he just sneezes sometimes. What is wrong with his feathers?
20230328_224449.jpg

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
The tail and wing feather viewed in the picture look ratty but thats not abnormal for a baby that's still learning how to control themselves.

The feathers on the rump however look like down feathers which would not be normal for a molt. Can we get a picture of the whole bird?

OP
R

Riccardo

Mar 28, 2023
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
Screenshot_20230328_233750_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230328_233807_Gallery.jpg

The first one is just as we got him. The second one is after 1 week.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Yeah definitely not normal. That is not normal levels of feather loss for molting. I would have a pbfd test done first and foremost. But considering it's limited to the body and the head looks intact its probably not pbfd, better be safe than sorry though. I would have have a broad blood test done to look at the birds levels.

OP
R

Riccardo

Mar 28, 2023
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
Yes I will get him checked. Another reason could be that before we got him he might have been placed in the same cage as other birds and they might have injured him. He is really calm and seems like he wouldn't be able to defend himself very well.

OP
R

Riccardo

Mar 28, 2023
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
Yeah definitely not normal. That is not normal levels of feather loss for molting. I would have a pbfd test done first and foremost. But considering it's limited to the body and the head looks intact its probably not pbfd, better be safe than sorry though. I would have have a broad blood test done to look at the birds levels.
Thank you for your information.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
This doesn't look like he was picked on by other birds as then the head feathers would be affected too.

OP
R

Riccardo

Mar 28, 2023
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
His feathers appear to be split, this happens just on the tail and wings.
Screenshot_20230329_191012_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230329_191009_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230329_191007_Gallery.jpg

OP
R

Riccardo

Mar 28, 2023
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
This doesn't look like he was picked on by other birds as then the head feathers would be affected too.
Screenshot_20230329_195207_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230329_195204_Gallery.jpg

This is what worries me, he has some kind of hole above his tail. It has pink feathers around it and a yellow-looking one in the centre.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
View attachment 48792
View attachment 48793
This is what worries me, he has some kind of hole above his tail. It has pink feathers around it and a yellow-looking one in the centre.
The pictures aren't best quality but that MIGHT be the preengland. however if it is, it is abnormally red and probably irritated/inflamed. I would def find a different vet to look him over

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Your sweetie needs a full exam from a vet. The split feathers are damage.
The "hole" his tail could be his preen gland, as mentioned if it's looking abnormal it need to be checked out. Here's my galah showing his preen gland, right above his tail.
164B3C2D-036B-43B8-985F-A5865EF76C2B.jpeg.jpg

OP
R

Riccardo

Mar 28, 2023
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
Thank you very much! The pink colour around the gland I think are just feathers. Tomorrow I will check better and take him to the vet. Thank you again for your help.

OP
R

Riccardo

Mar 28, 2023
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
The "hole" his tail could be his preen gland, as mentioned if it's looking abnormal it need to be checked out. Here's my galah showing his preen gland, right above his tail.
View attachment 48796
Thank you very much! I will try to get better images tomorrow and check with a vet. My Galah always gets in that position bit whenever I take my phone out he just turns around so it's difficult to get a good picture😅

OP
R

Riccardo

Mar 28, 2023
Parrots
Galah Cockatoo
The "ole" his tail could be his preen gland, as mentioned if it's looking abnormal it need to be checked out. Here's my galah showing his preen gland, right above his tail.
View attachment 48796
Hello, my Galah has now fully recovered his back feathers and is also very close to fully recovering his chest feathers. My vet told me that it was an abnormal molt mixed with him not recieving enough attention in the shop. He is extremely cuddy and begs me to help him with his pin feathers on his head. Thank you for the information ans the kindness 🙂

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Hello, my Galah has now fully recovered his back feathers and is also very close to fully recovering his chest feathers. My vet told me that it was an abnormal molt mixed with him not recieving enough attention in the shop. He is extremely cuddy and begs me to help him with his pin feathers on his head. Thank you for the information ans the kindness 🙂
That's great to hear!

Most Reactions

Latest posts