Garden Pets (Jumping Spiders)

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
Two cockatiels: Sharlett (Cinnamon Pied) and Data (White-Faced Pied)
My brother and I found some Jumping Spiders in our backyard and we basically call them our eight-legged friends.

Jumping Spiders are non-venomous and this group consists of a lot of species. They have been called the "kittens of the spider world" since they chase lazer pointers and are actually quite cute! They are also the most intelligent Spiders in the world. Like parrots, jumping Spiders are very curious and some of them will even hop onto your finger if you hold it out!

Here is our little group: Matilda, Spud, Bud, Jumpy, Tiny II, and Bree.

Matilda is the biggest and most likely a fully grown adult female, she is also the first we caught. (We let her go afterwards when she wished to go as we did with all other Spiders.) Spud is most likely a male who is still pretty young judging by his size. Bud seems a bit older and is also a male. Bree is about Matilda's size leading me to believe she is an adult female as well. Jumpy and Tiny II are babies since they are extremely small and thus, I cannot guess as to their sexes.

All of them are Tan Jumping Spiders and have very pretty markings!
(Fun fact: I used to be terrified of spiders.)

Side note: my brother is a kid but he knows not to mess with any other Spiders. I told him if the spider is in a web then leave the spider alone.

Last edited:
I am going to have to check out the laser pointer. We have jumping spiders around our house. I found a pretty large one dead in my closet last week, and two days ago a live one that was pretty large in the garage. He ran off behind the washer. I love that you named your group, do they have unique markings that you can tell the difference between them beside size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, it is hard to tell the difference besides size unless we take really good pictures with a camera. However, Spud has some pretty large front legs!

Do you know what type live in your house?

Not to argue semantics, but all spiders are venomous. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to digest their food. Their venom is mild and not dangerous to humans :)

Oh yeah! Haha, my apologies. You are correct! I should have specified! :)

Have you posted pictures of them on here? I would love to see your eight-legged cuties! And please, don't feel bad! I do that a lot with animal and history related topics! ^^

This is a very small sample. I don't take photos of them much at all.

G rosea macro shot.
2nw1zdg.jpg

P striata, bad cell phone shot.
w97jaq.jpg

Thanks for sharing your stories about your little "eight legged friends" :). I had to google Tan Jumping Spider, and it appears there are none in my area or the Western states.

Thank you for sharing, it's so cool that you are familiar enough with your spidey friends to give them names. Tan jumping spiders are very common here but I usually admire them from a distance. When I find a little traveler inside I use a coffee filter cone to return them to the great outdoors, I use the same method for house geckos that sometimes enter through the doggie door. Most of our local spiders are harmless, the brown recluse and black widow are two extreme exceptions but both are easily recognizable.

Quite true! Psychocircus91, your tarantulas are absolutely adorable!!

Ravensgryf, yeah, but there should be jumpers in your area of some variety. I had to Google the Spiders in my state in order to figure out these lil guys were tan jumpers!

Allee, all I can imagine is a gecko looking like the Geico mascot coming in through a doggie door.... Anyways, I try to move any inside ones outside just so they are out of harm's way! They are quite wonderful creatures!

Glad you are having fun with spiders! I admire them from a distance, a great distance in fact!! Preferably at least several feet, and with thick glass barriers for the most toxic!

I used to be terrified of Spiders so I understand how you guys feel!

But jumping Spiders are quite honestly fascinating in my opinion! :)

I used to be terrified of Spiders so I understand how you guys feel!

But jumping Spiders are quite honestly fascinating in my opinion! :)

At least spiders are an important part of the ecosystem. Far more valuable than ticks and mosquitos AFAIK!

I cannot agree with this more! If I could applaud through the internet I would!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back