Garden sulfur HELP (time sensitive)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am looking for a bee-safe anti-fungal, veg-safe garden product that is also safe for aquatic life---so I got some "Lilly Miller Sulfur Dust" (thinking that might be an option). Apparently, there are mixed opinions are out there regarding the impact of DE on bees, and DE is a small portion of this 90% sulfur product---Lilly Miller reported that the unlisted ingredients (remaining 10% are as follows: "The remaining 10% consists of surfactant, diatomaceous earth, and silica. "

1. If I use this when flowers are not present, do I risk harming bees?

2. It says not to use when shade temperature exceeds 85 degrees or it can burn leaves, but how long does that hold after an application? Can anyone explain what that even means ("shade temperature")??? I mean, if it's a 100 F in the sun but 85 in the shade, can I use it if my plants are in the sun?!?! STUPID instructions lol!

3. It also says not to use after oil sprays for 30 days-- I sprayed Dawn last night and I think TECHNICALLY it is sourced from oil...so does that count as an oil spray??

I would like to apply it tonight or tomorrow, given the weather is not going to be above 85...but in the sun it could be warmer than 85 I guess (not sure I understand how all of that works)...I just don't want to kill aquatic life, bees OR MY PLANTS!
I am worried they have some sort of fungal issue going on and since I am not sure what it is (not likely powdery mildew...) I would rather go "scorched earth" than try more baking soda mixes (because I don't want it spreading spores and contaminating all of my soil and too much soda will jack with the salinity!!)

Heck-- I think it's a fungus, but it could be bacterial too. Any suggestions that won't kill off the ecosystem in my yard or make plants unsafe for humans are welcome...I know neem is an option, but it is banned in the UK (from what I understand) which makes me not want to use it.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I dint know, I use coffee grounds as I was told they help it did seem to help me

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Helps with fungus?

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
Is there any way you can describe or identify what is going on? Sometimes local universities have agricultural departments that can help. Diatomaceous earth hurts most insects. I used that before I knew as well.

Last edited:
OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I could try to call the extension-- on at least one plant, it is likely a virus-- on the others it could be bacterial, fungal or leaf burn (I did spray w/ dawn and baking soda, but if I mistook UV damage for something else, then it's very possible I made it worse lol!)

If DE gets wet, it stops working though, right?
So the long-term impact shouldn't go on for days....I wouldn't think...

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Any thoughts on what the heck that "shade temp" thing means???

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
As far as I'm aware DE doesn't stop working when wet? Livestock are given it in feed to get rid of parasites I believe and we used it for one of our dogs who could not get rid of worms despite three very expensive vet treatments. You have to be careful with this though because it has to be food grade DE.
I'm not sure about the shade temp, it doesn't make sense to me. I would not apply it on a warm sunny day at all. The plant infected by the virus I would remove before it infects others and throw away, don't compost it. I'm super cautious about applying anything to leaves during the day. If I apply anything I try to wait for a cloudy day or do it in the evening.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
As far as I'm aware DE doesn't stop working when wet? Livestock are given it in feed to get rid of parasites I believe and we used it for one of our dogs who could not get rid of worms despite three very expensive vet treatments. You have to be careful with this though because it has to be food grade DE.
I'm not sure about the shade temp, it doesn't make sense to me. I would not apply it on a warm sunny day at all. The plant infected by the virus I would remove before it infects others and throw away, don't compost it. I'm super cautious about applying anything to leaves during the day. If I apply anything I try to wait for a cloudy day or do it in the evening.

That was why I was hoping to apply it this evening---but may be too late...probably need to call the dang company ugh! Thank you though!!!

Last edited:

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Oh no!! Not the pumpkins!! Ugh. I'm sorry. And it's not powdery mildew? I use milk spray for that and I remove the worst effected leaves on my squash plants. I actually am going to start spraying tomorrow for it.
When you water, do it the early morning, not at night so the leaves have time to dry and make sure there is enough space for air circulation.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Oh no!! Not the pumpkins!! Ugh. I'm sorry. And it's not powdery mildew? I use milk spray for that and I remove the worst effected leaves on my squash plants. I actually am going to start spraying tomorrow for it.
When you water, do it the early morning, not at night so the leaves have time to dry and make sure there is enough space for air circulation.

Yeah- doing all of that-- do you pre-spray for the mildew w/milk and do you go half milk/half water? If so, what percent fat milk LOL!

I do sometimes water at like 6-7PM..but not dark until around 9...I knew that was late, but is it TOO late? Historically, I haven't watered after 5, but these guys need so much water that it is hard to keep up (even early in the game)

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
I am going to try to keep ahead this year. I noticed some white stuff so I'm going to start spraying right away. But other years I've started late. I removed the worst effected leaves and sprayed the rest down really well and I always still got squash.
I use full fat milk because that's just what I have, they say it doesn't matter. I do about 50/50. That's a bit stronger than most of the stuff I read online. I apply this one during the day because I don't want the leaves wet at night. You have to make them sopping wet and both sides fo the leaves if you can. If you're not sure about timing and potency maybe test on one plant initially?
As for watering, I just don't know with pumpkin and it probably depends on your soil too. I do a really, really deep water in the early morning or like you before 5 and it honestly lasts two days or more depending on the weather.

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Oh and I kept wanting to tell you how much I empathize with the whole digging out the bricks for your garden. Apparently there was a slate driveway in my yard that the previous owners dumped dirt over and so everytime we went to dig, we were digging up slabs of slate. That is some back breaking work!

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I am going to try to keep ahead this year. I noticed some white stuff so I'm going to start spraying right away. But other years I've started late. I removed the worst effected leaves and sprayed the rest down really well and I always still got squash.
I use full fat milk because that's just what I have, they say it doesn't matter. I do about 50/50. That's a bit stronger than most of the stuff I read online. I apply this one during the day because I don't want the leaves wet at night. You have to make them sopping wet and both sides fo the leaves if you can. If you're not sure about timing and potency maybe test on one plant initially?
As for watering, I just don't know with pumpkin and it probably depends on your soil too. I do a really, really deep water in the early morning or like you before 5 and it honestly lasts two days or more depending on the weather.

I could do deep watering I guess. I am up not later than 5:30 on any given day...I just worry my soil will get water-logged and encourage more fungus (if that is even what I have). Do you let the milk sit at room temp or anything? Does it attract animals???

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Oh and I kept wanting to tell you how much I empathize with the whole digging out the bricks for your garden. Apparently there was a slate driveway in my yard that the previous owners dumped dirt over and so everytime we went to dig, we were digging up slabs of slate. That is some back breaking work!

LOL -YES!!! I hate that people do that (and why would they cover up a slate driveway??? That sounds way better than 99% of alternatives!

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
I think the house was split into a twin so the driveway is on my side and the garage is on the neighbors side so it couldn't really be used anymore and it makes up most of the yard so I think that's why they covered it. We save the slate pieces though to use for whatever we can think of because they are pretty and useful.
I don't make the spray room temp. I just use milk and tap water and put it in a pump sprayer. I've never noticed it to attract animals or to have a smell which I guess some people complain of.
Believe it or not a deep water every few days is better than a light water every day as far as I know. It will help the roots grow deeper and if you only have to water every two or three days then the leaves aren't getting wet every day.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I also saved the bricks lol! Not that I couldn't get more if I wanted LOL (but would have to work for them).
Slate is cool--love that you saved it.
I would like an old-fashioned slate roof with the diamond and hexagon-shaped tiles.....sigh lol

Thanks for the gardening help! May try the milk! Although...still have to clarify on the sulfur (definitely couldn't use that after milk, due to oil content).

Last edited:

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
You're very welcome! I hope it gets figured out and you get lots of pumpkins this fall!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts