Gas stoves leak methane, even when turned off

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
This article is from The NY Times, and they have a paywall limit of five free articles a month, but you can usually read them by opening the link in an incognito tab. The gist is that gas lines are pressured, and small amounts of gas often leak from the fittings. There are many couplings and fittings between the supply lines and the appliances. Any of these can develop small leaks over time. I have a gas cooktop and I always turn the vent on low when using it. The article says that gas ovens can be the worst, because they maintain temperature by shutting off and on. I post this as a reminder to have good ventilation near any gas appliance if you have birds. I wonder if this might be a contributing factor so some of the unexplained deaths we have had this past year? More people stuck at home, and cooking?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/27/...e-emissions.html?referringSource=articleShare

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Understanding that Natural Gas piping within a home or apartment can leak as a result of not being tight-enough. Normal design of that style of pipe thread for pipe and fittings have a tapered thread-cut that compresses as it is tightened. As a result leaks are uncommon. Leaks in valves are far more common as they may not always be fully turned-off and as a result, represent a greater danger. It is important to remember that Natural Gas is heavier than air and tends to collect along the floor. As a result, Parrots that are walkers could be seen as being at more risk. Small leaks tend to be overwhelmed by the volume of air in a room and displaced in the volume.

Cooking and good ventilation are an excellent pair and you are so correct, they should alway work together to assure a safe home.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With a bit of digging, I found that the story had combined the effects of the burning flame and line leaks. I have not found the founding study(s) as there seems to be a mix of a couple of studies.

I am not sure where all of the electricity will be coming from as the goal of the Study(s) seem to be to push away from the use of natural gas to electric for cooking.

Most Reactions

Latest posts