GCC help!

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017
Hi everyone!
I got a green cheek conure around Christmas time because I fell in love with him and could not tell myself no.
Anyways, he is obsessed with fresh foods which is obviously a great thing because he will eat any fruit or vegetable that I put in his bowl.
Now, since I got him December 23 I haven’t even had him for a full month yet but, I was wandering if he could 1: over eat and get overweight and 2: if he really needs pellets.
Before you start shaking your head and getting upset that I even asked these questions please listen to what I have to say. He is CONSTANTLY eating. He will stop eating for a few hours here and there but for the most part, that is what he wants to do. I’m worried he will get overweight because when I got him he had his flight wings clipped. Also, since he is always filling himself up on vegetables and fruits he doesn’t eat that many pellets. I was wandering if I should reduce the amount I’m giving him? How much fresh food should a GCC get everyday? I never do any precise measurements but just to give you an idea, I put out 1 cube (from an average sized ice cube tray) of defrosted chop, I then typically add about half a tablespoon of both squash and sweet potato every morning. Then in the afternoon I put out the same and for dinner I always make something warm because they really enjoy it. I would really appreciate it if you would share your opinions on this!

LauraC

Aug 27, 2017
Southern California
Parrots
Fuji - Moustache Parakeet 6 yrs Old
I will let the experts weigh in (pun intended ��j .But, I know a bird can get overweight. My vet told me to cut back on the portions I was giving my Moustache Parakeet, Fuji. I do believe that a good pellet is important to their diet as well. I switched to Harrison at the suggestion of my vet who is Avian Certified. On the bag of pellet they tell you the measurements. He even suggested taking the fresh food bowl out after two hours and refrigerating it so no bacteria can grow.

To get your bird to eat some of the pellet maybe remove the fresh food for a few hours and just have the option of the pellets.

Until the flight feathers grow back, maybe you can do some step ups like a ladder to make him get a little exercise. You can also teach wings up and see if you can get your bird to flap his wings.

You might also want to take your bird in for a wellness exam to make sure there are no underlining issues that are causing him to eat so much. Make sure you find an Avian Certified vet.

Good luck.

OP
S

SimplyBirdLover

Nov 15, 2017
I will let the experts weigh in (pun intended ��j .But, I know a bird can get overweight. My vet told me to cut back on the portions I was giving my Moustache Parakeet, Fuji. I do believe that a good pellet is important to their diet as well. I switched to Harrison at the suggestion of my vet who is Avian Certified. On the bag of pellet they tell you the measurements. He even suggested taking the fresh food bowl out after two hours and refrigerating it so no bacteria can grow.

To get your bird to eat some of the pellet maybe remove the fresh food for a few hours and just have the option of the pellets.

Until the flight feathers grow back, maybe you can do some step ups like a ladder to make him get a little exercise. You can also teach wings up and see if you can get your bird to flap his wings.

You might also want to take your bird in for a wellness exam to make sure there are no underlining issues that are causing him to eat so much. Make sure you find an Avian Certified vet.

Good luck.
he has been to the vet! They said he is the proper weight (72 grams) and he is very healthy!

Most Reactions