Gday from Tasmania, Australia

Van.Diemen

Nov 28, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
G'day guys.

I've been a keen parrot enthusiast for the past 9 years without actually owning one. I own far to many books on them to mention and have been lucky enough to meet a fair few over the years.

Where I live there are wild Galahs living in the trees a stone throw away from my back fence, a huge colony of sulphur Crested Cockatoos that fly over my house once or twice a week and plenty of Rosellas that frequent my garden.

I spend a lot of my free time at a private 800acre property (owned by my partners family) on the east coast of Tasmania that is filled to the brim with a few types of Rosellas (Green Rosella, Eastern Rosella), swift parrots and a small group of Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoos as well a few cockies.

Some of my favourite types of birds include sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Gang Gang Cockatoos, the various Back Cockatoos, Conures and of course the large Macaws.

Anyway, I've signed up because next week we're getting our first bird, a large ten-year-old male Sulpher Crested Cockatoo who is being re homed with us as the current owners are getting a bit long in the tooth.

I figured I can ask for some advice if any problems arise and also share how things go with anyone who might be interested.

Cheers!

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
Welcome! I must say, I'm a bit envious of you being able to see all those birds on a daily basis! Be sure to post pics of your new arrival! We love pictures!

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Hi! Im a newbie too (also joined today) and from just across the ditch in New Zealand =D My partner and one of my good friends both own Toos, very cool birds. They have so much character. Good luck with your new boy =D

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Well hello Van :) and hello Freespin - welcome to the parrotforums, we're so glad to have you and Van congrats on your new soon-to-be-home baby :p

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Hi! I'm pretty new here too, and I've been to Tazmania!! You certainly do come from a beautiful part of the world! Please post photos of some of the wild birds you have around. I remember being truly amazed the way you all have gorgeous parrots just chilling out in the back yard. Welcome, and congratulations on your new baby.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
G'day Van.Diemen! I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to Tassie, but I do know it has lots and lots of beautiful scenery and wildlife. Hope I get there one day! I'm so glad you're adopting a Cocky - at only ten, he'll make a lovely family member for you and give you lots of joy as you get to know each other. Never hesitate to ask questions here if you have them: there are so many experienced people to help and encourage you. :)

OP
Van.Diemen

Van.Diemen

Nov 28, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm getting very impatient now that it seems to be going ahead. My partner and I are like children waiting for Christmas. I'll definitely post some photos once he arrives and a few snaps of the 'locals' if I have a camera handy.

He hasn't had as much contact with people of late as he should have, and although he was hand raised I'm expecting quite a long settling in period but with some luck and careful management things should go o.k. From all accounts he has a gentle, inquisitive personality and has been sharing his quarters with some cockatiels of late.

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
:O Awesome! Welcome to the forum! My husband was born in Tasmania.. and oh how I envied him for a few years.. I absolutely LOVE the cold and the wet.. lucky. -_- Instead I'm stuck with the lovely South Australian stinking hot summer days. *eye twitches* not fun for someone who despises heat..

I love red tailed black cockatoos. ^^ We get at LEAST 10 flocks of Galahs flying over our property every day, so I must agree it's pretty awesome. :) Except when all my other parrots decide to try and let their voices reach the galahs in the sky...

Again, welcome!!! *I'm also a sucker for Conures and Large Macaws :p * Can't wait to see photos of your soon-to-be-new-family-member!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
It's a good thing I don't live out there as I'd be in the poorhouse feeding all those wild parrots.:) can't wait to see pics of your new bird.

jde2

Jul 18, 2013
Cayman Islands
Parrots
(4 - Blue & Gold Macaws) Jay, Zazou, Sassy, Pedra
(2 - Scarlet Macaws) Tiki & Taco
(1 - Shamrock Macaw) Rasta
(2 - Cayman Amazons)
(2 - Quakers)
(1 - Yellow Nape Amazon) Papi
Australian Cockatoos!!:07:

OP
Van.Diemen

Van.Diemen

Nov 28, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
20544ld.jpg

Stay tuned!...

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
G'day Van Diemen, from a future Taswegian (we have a house in the NE), currently in WA though. Your bird looks beautiful!

OP
Van.Diemen

Van.Diemen

Nov 28, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
I was up the NE the other week near bay of fires for a bit of a recharge. Have a mate up that way at the moment on a bit of a dive/fish. Fingers crossed he drops of a feed on his way back through tomorrow!

Cheers everyone. Everyone at home is waiting in anticipation for Thursday. He went to the vet today for a check up and to get his nails done. They also gave him a vitamin shot, but I've been told he's on the heavy side so I'll have to watch what he eats extra carefully for a while.

Spent a few hours today cutting some nice thick eucalypt perches for the cage and up at the reserve collecting some un-cracked pine cones. I'm pretty lucky that my garden holds a lot of the things he'll like to have a chew on, banksias, gum nuts etc.

Righto, I'll hold off my posts until next week and fill you in with how it goes!

Cheers!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi Van and welcome! I am new here as well and have learned so much from these wonderful people:) I can't imagine seeing all those beautiful birds in the wild...must be amazing. Can't wait to see pics of your new friend!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Welcome to the forum!!! So jealous of all those wild parrots in your back yard!!!! Especially the black cockatoos!!!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new baby!

Most Reactions

Latest posts