Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I don't think I'll be adopting another bird anytime soon, because it won't replace Gertjie. Nothing will ever replace her. She was unique. Another bird will also be a lot of effort to care for, which at the moment is too much for me. I guess I have to care for the birds I already have.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Pipp, my heart is broken for you, and for Gertjie. I know how long you have been excited to get her, and I know what a wonderful love she was able to experience once she joined your flock.
She passed knowing she was loved, and so many birds never have that.
I'm just so sorry, my Friend, and am sending you hugs of comfort.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks so much for the overwhelming amount of support. I am still grieving the loss of Gertjie, but I will be ok, so don't worry too much.

I don't think the emotions have fully hit me yet, I am still a bit numb about her loss. I haven't been able to clean her cage yet because it hurts too much.

I have two small feathers from her. I wish I had more, but two is better than nothing.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Now that I think about it, she did have a few accidents with flying into the window. Nothing severe, she always recovered after a minute or two, but maybe she got severely injured?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Oh Pipp, I am so sorry to hear about Gertjie. I hope you aren’t blaming yourself. I agree with others who’ve posted and suggested this is likely something you couldn’t have controlled - genetic issues or health issues due to previous stressors. You’re a wonderful bird owner and Gertjie was fortunate to come to you, if only briefly.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Oh Pipp, I am so sorry to hear about Gertjie. I hope you aren’t blaming yourself. I agree with others who’ve posted and suggested this is likely something you couldn’t have controlled - genetic issues or health issues due to previous stressors. You’re a wonderful bird owner and Gertjie was fortunate to come to you, if only briefly.
I don't think it's my fault, but it is really confusing and depressing for me to not know what was wrong with her... I miss her. She was so sweet.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Sometimes they can’t figure anything out, even from a necropsy. It’s so hard not to know.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Sometimes they can’t figure anything out, even from a necropsy. It’s so hard not to know.
Yes, this is true; I had two parrots die from a natural gas leak and all the necropsy could say was that they had nothing else that should have killed them. Very sad and frustrating.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Oh how sorry I am for your loss, but she was lucky to have you as her owner and best friend even though she has been with you for a short peroid.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
20221122_124828.jpg

I'm busy drawing Gertjie. I am considering sending this to her previous owners when I'm done, as they loved her very dearly.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Wow, that drawing is very beautiful and realistic, oh how lucky was Gertjie.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I agree with May; that is a wonderful depiction of her. It shows her personality and expression very well! I’m sure her former family would appreciate it. I hope you can make one for yourself, too.

((Big wing hug for you)). From Willow and Heather

Most Reactions

Latest posts