Gettin' nippy.....

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Sprite is starting to get nippy and pushy. He always wants to be in my hair or on my shoulder, and if he gets there and i try to get him off he'll bite me. What should I do??

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
I hope someone has a better answer but I would say don't react and put her away in the cage immediately. If she thinks the biting lets her stay on your head or wherever she wants to be, then it works for her, and she is rewarded for the behavior.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
it takes time, but i think quack has it right

nut is still in the process of being taught the correct manners!

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Owww!! He also has a habit if chewing on fingers!! I was holding him and he started chewing on my finger and I kept moving it so that he couldnt but he kept getting it!! Then he started biting!!

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
Lucy gets put on the floor or her beak grabbed with a stern NO. shes still a bit beaky, but thats the nature of the species. make sure you work on "step up" too :)

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
OMG guys im already missing my old sprite :( whenever i get him to step up he'll bite my fingers and it HURTS!!! Hes perfect at step up but if hes on my finger he'll bite SUPER hard!!!!! he was fine up until like 10 minutes ago!!! What do i do? :( I cant grab his beak cuz if i come close he'll bite!! he'll reach out to bite my if my finger comes near...where has my sweet little baby gone? :( I put him in his cage and covered it so that just the front is open.

sarahsaurus

May 29, 2011
Oklahoma
Parrots
Emmie - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, Percy - male Lutino Cockatiel, Jackie - Female Lutino Cockatiel, Humphreys - Whiteface Cockatiel
I had trouble with my Emmie when she first came home. When she would bite, I would tell her no. If she kept on, I put her back in her cage. Now she doesn't bite me, much. Just be patient and work with him. I'm sure he will come around. :)

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I hope someone has a better answer but I would say don't react and put her away in the cage immediately. If she thinks the biting lets her stay on your head or wherever she wants to be, then it works for her, and she is rewarded for the behavior.

You got it. But I would avoid putting her away in the cage, and put her down on the floor or in a different room instead. If put away in the cage when punished, she may develop an aversion to her cage (since she will learn to associate cage with punishment).

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots

You got it. But I would avoid putting her away in the cage, and put her down on the floor or in a different room instead. If put away in the cage when punished, she may develop an aversion to her cage (since she will learn to associate cage with punishment).
Good call - few things tune up a birds attitude better than sitting on the floor at your feet...prey animals :eek:

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
AHAHAH!!!! That is really cute. Do you think it would work if SHE wasn't the one to choose that it was time to go to the floor?

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
AHAHAH!!!! That is really cute. Do you think it would work if SHE wasn't the one to choose that it was time to go to the floor?

Well, in theory it works as negative punishment. Negative, because you're taking something that she enjoys away from her as form of punishment. She enjoys our company, so when she's naughty we place her down on the floor and walk away. The principle is the same whether you place her down on the floor or on the towel rack in the bathroom and then walk away.

OP
Atwee921

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
I have a theory of why hes nippy!!! I think its my nail polish!! When like 4 of my friends came over for a really quick visit, whenever he saw nail polish he would chew on their fingers. I think he might be freaked out by my nail polish because its bright pink!! Think thats why?

Most Reactions

Latest posts