Getting a dog to ignore a parrot

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Okay, I know dogs and parrots really aren't suppose to be able to get to each other like at all, but the dog I'm referring to is a service dog in training and I NEED to be able to have Lincoln out and not have her react. Does anyone have any tips on getting a dog accoustomed to a bird in a safe (or as safe as it can be) way? I don't want Lincoln to get hurt but I really need her to get use to him and not be constantly curious as to what the heck he is.

Need or want? Sounds more like youā€™re tired of isolation procedures and want more freedom.

Iā€™ll caveat this with Iā€™ve not done this before. But Iā€™d assume the basis of training is rewarding behavior that shows avoidance or indifference towards the bird.

Yes, I need it considering she is MY service dog to be. She needs to be able to be with me at all times and I need to give Lincoln what he needs too.

Ah i read too fast and didnā€™t cue into a service dog. My bad :(

Forgive my ignorance but itā€™s my general understanding that service dogs are typically trained by an organization so they should already be trained to avoid such distractions. Are you trying to train your own service dog?

This might actually be a better question for professional dog trainers. Perhaps locate a dog training forum online?

In some cases service dogs can be owner trained, especially if its something like a medical alert dog that needs be in tune with the handler's specific signs of that medical problem. (I.e a diabetic would have a certain "scent" that the dog can detect that could be different from someone with the same condition, so the dog needs to be in tune with that specific scent)
Of course I am working with a professional service dog trainer as I am just a teen with little to no dog-training experience but we don't have a scheduled appointment anytime soon.
I thought of asking here because you guys are more familiar with parrots than the trainer would be and I more need to know how close I can get the dog to Lincoln without harming him in any way. He's pretty fearless but I also don't want to spook him.

I have a pit bull and a lab mix and they completely ignore my 3 parrots. They are untrained savages. They will occasionally sniff the birds when they walk by, and will occasionally bark back at the Umbrella Cockatoo that barks at them, but they mostly just wait for the parrots to throw them treats.

Once, one of my parrots fell on the floor, I was in the bedroom and heard him squawking. I came running only to kind my pit standing over him, guarding him.

Hi, as a past dog trainer I would be happy to help. I have four dogs (two of which are very large and prey driven). To train for this situation you need to teach "leave it". There are a bazillion methods out there. I recommend not using treats since you'll want to be sure you can get this behavior when you don't have a treat. You start with something simple like a sock that your dog isn't interested in anyway. Put her on a collar and leash, kind of lead her near the sock and say say "leave it" and quickly lead her away, then "good girl" (These words are whatever you choose, just stay consistent.) The idea is when she looks at the sock say leave it and when she doesn't she's a good girl. Work this for a 2-3 mins a couple times a day. Can be during a walk, choose a random object or bring something with you. Build up the level of objects that will interest her (her toys, a treat, etc) and keep repeating. Once you feel she's got it move on to a high excitement target, like another dog or something you know she'll be very interested in. Once she's got it down 100% start all over off the collar and leash. Build up again (will be a much quicker process) to the high excitement target and as long as you have verbal control you're pretty safe.

Sorry this was so long!!

I hear you. But this isnā€™t about Lincoln. This is all about training canine avoidance. The parrot is incidental, since avoidance training can be applied to other objects (eg dogs who like to eat their poop can be taught to avoid poop piles).

Iā€™d stick with my original recommendation of locating an online dog training forum. Theyā€™ll be able to help with this training until you get with your professional trainer. I know what I would do, but I donā€™t know if itā€™s the right way or even the best way to do it.

She's already very familiar with "leave it" with objects that aren't living. But if something moves she won't listen. I guess I just need to work on the leave it more.

Though she still is fairly young (7 - 8 months) is it too much of me to expect her to completely ignore Lincoln yet? She's very smart and has taken to her training really well, but she still has the attention span of, well, a puppy.

Ah i read too fast and didnā€™t cue into a service dog. My bad :(

Forgive my ignorance but itā€™s my general understanding that service dogs are typically trained by an organization so they should already be trained to avoid such distractions. Are you trying to train your own service dog?

This might actually be a better question for professional dog trainers. Perhaps locate a dog training forum online?

So well stated Good Friend!!!

*** The need for a Service Dog and your having a Professional Service Dog Trainer is the real key to the success of this! ***

We have a wide cross-section of members here that have vast knowledge in Training Parrots! That Said! Assured Success is with your Professional Service Dog Trainer! Training of the Dog is your primary long term concern! Your Trainer will have the knowledge to set in place the long term tools you will use and the how to use them!

If your Trainer has specific questions regarding the Parrot. That is where we are best able to help you.

Contact your Professional Service Dog Trainer, ASAP!

Enjoy!

She's already very familiar with "leave it" with objects that aren't living. But if something moves she won't listen. I guess I just need to work on the leave it more.

Though she still is fairly young (7 - 8 months) is it too much of me to expect her to completely ignore Lincoln yet? She's very smart and has taken to her training really well, but she still has the attention span of, well, a puppy.
I don't know if you can expect her to ignore, but with more training you'll get where you need to be.

I think this is a situation where it will simply take time for your dog to get used to Lincoln's antics and behavior. Perhaps its the deep rooted prey-drive instincts making him so alert to Lincoln. Not sure if I saw what breed your service dog is, but for some dogs the instinct is still there even with training.

When we got Zuko, a Doberman puppy, he was constantly trying to chase the two cats/sniff their butts, lol, but with corrections 'knock it off!" it worked, along with the need for a n adjustment period. Eventually, with enough time, Zuko grew used to them and now is perfectly behaved around them. Hoping you can figure out a solution for this, as both are very important aspects of your life I'm sure!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back