Getting Shy Quaker to talk?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have had Willow the blue Quaker in my home for 16 months now. He’s about eight years old. He talked a little bit-said a few words- once shortly after I picked him up and brought him to my home. Then he didn’t say much at all besides Quaker scolding for a year. A few words once or twice. He was pettable when he came to live here but not super snuggly.

16 months later, with usually a few scratching and cuddling sessions a day, Willow is a very loving boy. he wants to
be held in my hand like a baseball and pecks me if I stop petting him before he’s ready. I’ve been a bit sad, though, because my last Quaker, Lucy, used to talk all the time at home and it was so easy to know what she wanted. It’s harder to know what Willow wants or likes because he doesn’t tell me!

Just in the past two weeks, Willow has started to talk a little in his cage in the morning. Yesterday he was waiting for me to get up, heard me moving in bed in the other room, and said “night night” and then “thank you”. A couple days before, he told me I was a “good bird” when I refilled his water bottle and gave it back to him.

I have been trying to use several phrases consistently at appropriate times, like “thank you” after I give him a treat or food and “good night” or “ go night night” when I put him in his cage and turn out the lights. He has gotten potty trained pretty well by me saying “potty” right when he goes onto paper, so he figured out what “go potty” meant. I tell him what a smart good bird he is.
Is there a way I can get Willow to talk a lot like Lucy did? That was so much fun and she said such correct things. It seems like he’s suddenly getting more talkative but is there a way I can get it to take off? Lucy picked up so many phrases and I know Willow is a smart little guy, too. I talk to him and he looks at me and moves his beak like he wonders if that’s what I want. I am not sure what to do then I tell him he is a good bird but I’m not as excited. It would be fun if I could get him to understand that I want him to repeat my words, not just move his beak. What a goofy bird! Should I treat him every time he makes a talking sound?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
not all birds talk!
my brother has 3 quaks and only one of them talk
the others didnt utter a word
so dont excpect that all quaks talk!
my sun conure would always learn words she found exciting
whenever i uncovered the cage i would say "hi PB (pretty bird)"
she picked it up a couple of weeks later!
and the peek-a-boos, oh the peek-a-boos..
i would go behind anything and say " peek-a-boo"
she really enjoys that!
moral of the story is birds will pick up words they enjoy!
and not all birds talk

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
As above, not all are going to , or have a big vocabulary.
I had one your Lucy, and my current 3 are like Willow. Or actually say less than Willow.

Their body language and behavior should let you know what they like or dont like .

How wonderful that you guys snuggle, that's the best!!
Feel free to add some pictures

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Like mentioned before not all birds talk, but if you do hear him trying immediately give him a treat and praise him. You could first start teaching him to click his tongue, that's what I taught my quaker first; he already knew a lot of words but that's one of his fav noises to make or wolf whistling

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Like mentioned before not all birds talk, but if you do hear him trying immediately give him a treat and praise him. You could first start teaching him to click his tongue, that's what I taught my quaker first; he already knew a lot of words but that's one of his fav noises to make or wolf whistling
I know that not all Quakers talk. But Willow has said several different words and one time only for each. it seems he prefers to talk in his cage, and the only thing he has repeated is the kissy noise when I ask him for a kiss.
it seems like Willow can say the words but he doesn’t feel like talking or isn’t confident in talking. I know it was a big change for him to come live with me but he seems very happy and affectionate now. He was a friendly bird when I bought him 16 months ago, but now he purrs a lot and presses up to my hand or beaks me if I stop petting.
maybe I should give him a tiny treat whenever he makes a ‘people’ noise, or act very very excited. i love him without talking, but it is so much easier to get the bird what it wants or needs if it can tell you (like “want drink” or “go night night” or “goodbye”). And it’s a lot of fun!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its fun. :)
Things change, my green cheek at five just decided to start talking her vocabulary went from 3 words to 10 plus phrases, and she created some if her own making like happy birthday girl! Which I have zero idea of where she learned that.
I think excited repeat of anything said, and treats will help, saying things thst have a beat or rhyme or rhythm seems to be good.
Of course I still want more pictures of your cutie!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I had Willow on my shoulder when I got the mail from the apartment complex lobby today. There were several people talking in an adjacent room. Willow sat on my shoulder and made weird noises.

I think my apartment may be too quiet for him to talk much there, seeing as how he had plenty to say while in the lobby and lounge. Maybe I will have to be more social if Willow is going to talk, or even have the radio or tv on for him. I don’t watch tv and haven’t been listening to the radio recently.

i will find a pic of Willow.

Last edited:

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I had Willow on my shoulder when I got the mail from the apartment complex lobby today. There were several people talking in an adjacent room. Willow sat on my shoulder and made weird noises.

I think my apartment may be too quiet for him to talk much there, seeing as how he had plenty to say while in the lobby and lounge. Maybe I will have to be more social if Willow is going to talk, or even have the radio or tv on for him. I don’t watch tv and haven’t been listening to the radio recently.

i will find a pic of Willow. View attachment 33110
i think that could be a good idea

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
i think that could be a good idea
Stupid covid is not helping Willow or me to get out and hear people talking! But as I work with Willow to get him to step up from his cage door instead of picking him up with a towel, he is seeming more confident and talking a little. He has said several words but is not a chatterbox like Lucy was.

I have been having sinus troubles and been sick-ish lately. So Willow and Jasper haven’t gotten out time every day. But there’s not much I can do about that. Right now he’s on his basket handle on my lap crunching his beak. He has been a bit grumpy but so am I. I’m sure he will go back to being a petting monster once he sees me up and about more.

Most Reactions