Gilbert's Winter Travel

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
We have been a little stir crazy with all the snow storms like so many others.

Last weekend i packed the car with my stuff and pet stuff, the three dogs and Gilbert and snow or not, we went to my friend's house for the weekend. Seemed weird travelling with a parrot in a snow storm but he seems to always be up for an adventure.

I had been feeling sorry for him, being couped up so much, never getting out of the couple rooms he flies around. It has been relentlessly cold and snowy. The trip was just what he needed. He had SO MUCH fun. I just made sure the car was nice and warm and i ran from the house with his carrier wrapped in sweatshirts. He was a good boy in the car. :)

Anyone else feeling stir crazy and feeling iffy about taking your little feathered buddy along on a journey/visit, go for it! I think Gilbert was thanking me, without being able to speak those words.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
OH, Gilbert and i have been standing at the front door "bird watching" for our entertainment. (I am NOT a winter girl. Need to see some signs of life!!)

I particularly like some of the photos I took of them:
Robins in the snow | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
That is one of them but there are a few others if you click around. :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Lovely pics!

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Today was in the 50s and sunny here, so in spite of all the snow I took Gilbert out for a short while to be in the sun and fly. I also walked my dogs......I was downtown and a "stranger" said "where's the bird today?" LOL I guess I am the local "bird lady". People know me and I don't realize I have seen them before.
Gil was SO HAPPY again to be out and about. He saw the harness come out and went for it.
I so wish I could fly.....I watch him in awe and longing!!!
1962624_10152220445054707_1346739946_n.jpg

1017442_10152220699219707_43103737_n.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Gorgeous pictures! The ones with the robin in the snow are breathtaking:)
And Gilbert sure looks happy, up there in the sky.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
He looks so happy! Gilbert truly is magnificent to behold.

Sunny is so tired of being cooped up indoors. He's the "harness" bird (not Trixie). I sure hope he let's me put that harness on him whenever we go out again. Sometimes it feels like we never will go out again (winter blues).

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
I have struggled with a little winter blues this year more than usual. Spring is soon and will be very well-embraced!! (And yes Gil is so happy when outside. Truly "himself" when he gets out.)

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I viewed your Flckr photos. Beautiful. Gilbert looks so happy, healthy and gorgeous! You have a special touch for making magical photos.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
P.S. Great wardrobe for Gilbert. That hooded jacket is very cooooool at the same time as being very warm for him. Where did u find it?

Cyrinaluna

Feb 27, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Parrots
1 cinnimon GCC - Lizzy
Oh my goodness!!! Gilbert is gorgeous! I love the great wing shot with the sun right behind him! I may snag that as my computer wallpaper haha! Looks like something from a magazine.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
P.S. Great wardrobe for Gilbert. That hooded jacket is very cooooool at the same time as being very warm for him. Where did u find it?

That is from avian fashions--the place that makes the flight suits. I tried a flight suit (that's his santa outfit) but he truly does not enjoy wearing that. He is not thrilled with the hoodie either, but he tolerates it when we go out for a walk when it is chilly. It does look adorable. They used to have them only for bigger birds, but now they have a nice selection for the little guys too.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Wait...how do you keep Gilbert from flying away???

He has an aviator harness. That is one of the more popular ones i think, and i love it. He finds it easy to wear and doesn't fuss with it at all. He relates it to freedom and good times.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Oh my goodness!!! Gilbert is gorgeous! I love the great wing shot with the sun right behind him! I may snag that as my computer wallpaper haha! Looks like something from a magazine.

I love that pic too! It was an 'accident' too. I was snapping pics with him tethered to me and thought 'oh darn, i'm shooting into the sun' but then it came out cool. I made it my facebook cover pic too.

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
I always enjoy seeing your posts and pictures of Gilbert's adventures. He's one very lucky little guy to have you!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Beautiful photos! He looks so happy! You've inspired me to try and go back to Boomer's aviator harness training. He hates that thing so much that he attacks it.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Ps. What size is your aviator harness? I think the one I got is too small so it's almost choking him

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Ps. What size is your aviator harness? I think the one I got is too small so it's almost choking him

I think Gil has the XS. It is tight when I pull it back off his head but it goes on his head easy. I let it all the way out before "doing wings" as we say. I let it have as much excess as possible, 'do wings' and then tighten. ("do eyes', 'do wings'--you would be surprised I even have a graduate level education in English, LOL!! I talk bird a lot.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts