Gilligan has been feeling a little bit sexy...

Gnarly

Jul 6, 2012
So we've had Gilligan for a short period of time now, just under three weeks. For the most part he's been doing very well, he's really starting to trust and like my boyfriend so much more, and he's becoming very friendly with me. However, in the last day I've noticed he's becoming a bit too friendly with me & has started what seems to be a courting behavior. He will walk around with his wings dropped and his feathers fluffed and will flop his head all over the place and will regurgitate food. I took a video of this behavior, and will post it later tonight.
I understand this behavior is not ideal and have been putting him away and ignoring him when he acts like this. Is this what I should be doing? Can more experienced bird owners comment on this type of behavior? I don't want him to become aggressive towards my beau, as they just started getting along so well.

OP
G

Gnarly

Jul 6, 2012
He's stopped trying to court with me. But now he bites me. All the time. He will step on my finger, hang out for a little, and then reach down and squeeze hard - usually it seems like he's not tryin to do too much damage, but other times he draws blood. This is very discouraging and I'm not sure if I should ignore it, or put him away when he behaves like this.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
ahh what to do with a unrequited lover.... you need to let him know that it will not be tolerated as he bens like he's going to bite do the earthquake shake, if he bites put him on a perch or back into his cage and turn your back on him, scolding doesn't really work because he doesn't understand the words just the tone. But a stern "No!" or "Be Nice" can distract them keep it consistance and keep calm.

OP
G

Gnarly

Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I'll try putting him away when he bites. I hope he will act sweet towards me again, it's really sad to get bitten by my little buddy.

OP
G

Gnarly

Jul 6, 2012
I'm happy to report Gilligan's behavior has been changing for the better. He is no longer courting me, though he will sometimes bob his head and regurgitate. The biting has been significantly minimized and he's really warming up to my boyfriend. Its only been a short period of time but we are having good results with trying to be consistent with trying to express our expectations to him by using treats and scratches as rewards and ignoring unwanted behaviors.

Most Reactions

Latest posts