Goffin - permit required??

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Hey everyone! Quick question, I just read that owning a Goffin Cockatoo requires a permit from CITES because it has recently been transferred to the Appendix I list - endangered nearing extension due to loss of habitat and trading.

Note: They were born in captivity. They are both currently being hand-fed (not weaned) and I purchased them from a reputable breeder/store specializing in exotic parrots.

Does anyone have experience with obtaining this permit?? Any information is appreciated.

Thank you…

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Since you provide no region of this Huge World it becomes near impossible to answer your question as CITES regulations are different around this World.

North America has been very slow regarding enforcing those segments that have been adopted there. With current governing bodies in North America it is possible that the existing CITES regulations have been enhanced. BUT, they have commonly set in place with a timeline before the regulation is fully enacted.

So, more information please and it helps if you define where you saw or heard the information.

OP
M

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Well Hello! I took for granted this forum focused on the USA… I live in the Southern USA.

Support Reference:

Attachments

• E08-Prop-26_Cacatua.PDF
    258.5 KB · Views: 76

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is no question that there is a majority of members that are North American Based and that the Site itself is based in North America. That said, Membership is International in Scope. As a result, it is not uncommon for the OP of a Thread to be from near anywhere in this World.

Parrot Magazine is a longtime source for credible information regarding Parrots. Sadly, they have had difficulties with cash flow and are now a EU based group that make available a monthly web based magazine. That are commonly reporting on EU activities.

The proposed change was authored in 2019 and adopted in the EU two years later. I will fully admit that I closely follow the Species Amazona, but not the other Parrot Species.

Possible another member is watching North American based CITES activities.

NOTE: North American, specifically the US has past several huge budgets that even months after approval information within those budgets is still surfacing. But to date, I have not seen or become aware of a permit required for ownership of Parrots.

OP
M

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
Thank you so much for your thoughts, they are greatly appreciated. Also, that is very interesting information about the magazine, which explains why it goes into EU classification.

I have went to the National government websites and can find permits to export/import/commercial breeding all day long but nothing about general ownership.

My state doesn’t have an endangered birds list act so I focused on National since I have heard varying comments as to whether I have to own a permit to even cross state lines.

My frustration brought me here. I may just ask my avian vet and go from there. But your replies have been greatly appreciated.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Without regard to State or National requirements, which vary widely regarding enforcement. I would recommend that when you talk to your Avian Medical Vet to pursue the documentation base as if you planned to travel internationally with your Parrot. This is based upon developing a past ownership documents, much like a CITES Hatch Certificate. Have your Parrot Microchipped. As part of your regular Vet Visits ask for a copy of each visit and add it you your developing document file for your Parrot.

If you elect to travel with your Parrot between States, please assure that you have with your Parrot a copy of your document set as that will act as your Statement Of Ownership! International travel will require a Health Certificate and that involves your Avian Medical Vet. It is detailed and commonly tailored to a specific Countries requirements. That needs to be started up to six months prior to flight date and as stated above, requirements vary with country you would be traveling to.

Cheers! See you around the Forum!

OP
M

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
That is really good advice and actually brings me peace of mind. Basically keep an up to date file with records and proof of ownership.

Yes, I have their vet appointment already scheduled which includes microchipping. Again, great and supportive advice and very appreciated.

Most Reactions

Latest posts