Going on vacation

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi
i have arranged a short weekend vacation and can take Solo with me,

it’s not far to drive and I have a large travelling cage that fits in the car,, a dismantable Java tree and a hanging rope orb.
He is used to his travel cage as sometimes he sleeps in it or I will give him lunch in it

Id like to know everyone else’s experiences of taking their friends away with them and is there anything important to take/know.

thank you.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have several members that camp with their Parrot(s). We have traveled extensively with ours over the years including boating. Everything needs to be considered and have several work thoughts to assure the safety of your Parrot.

Bugs and Escape are your largest concerns as when things go bad, they can go bad really fast!! There are several products on the market that involve screens and magnets that combine to create a doorway. I have used them many times, but find that we needed to double the number of magnets, which one simply purchases two and remove the magnets from one and add to another.

It is kind of like taking young kids camping!! Be prepared!!

Keatz

Jan 5, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Oscar (eclectus)
Basil (Amazon)
I take my eclectus on holidays with me, if only because no one wants to look after him. He's been on many long car trips. He usually just sits on the top of my seat as I'm driving and is well behaved. He seems to enjoy looking the scenery.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
We took him away and he was an absolute gentleman. He didn’t bite or get angry until the last day when we were packing up. So he was just upset by us moving all his stuff.
The first night he was a little unsure, very clingy, desperate to not be in his portable cage and was stressing.. so we decided to let him out and he just came over immediately and fell asleep on us. The next day he was happy to be in his portable cage at and the 3rd night he took himself in, played for a bit with his toys, then went to sleep. we took a cafe fly zapper.
We found the Airbnb perfect for us, with dividing doors and hope to go there again next year. đź‘Ť
He travelled in the Car in a carrier on my lap so I could talk to him all the time and he even had a little nap and ate some cucumber.

Last edited:
OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Oh yes, I should say the portable cage is the Liberta XL transport carry parrot cage, very strong and very heavy at 7kg.
It does fold up flat, which is great for travelling boot/trunk space.. but that does mean that there is no outside access to feeding bowls. I would recommend this cage for heavy chewers as it very strong, but not if your bird is scared/flighty or lunges at doors. It was the largest bird safe folding cage I could find. Also once erected it is very heavy and cumbersome, really two people are needed to carry it or a set of wheels like a modified buggy/pushchair.
I have one bowl set up just inside the door So I can reach it without opening the door too much and the water is a tap nipple bird water drinker. Similar to the one for rabbits. I think it’s for quails and chickens. He sleeps in this cage at home sometimes and I get him to drink from the drinker too. Hope this helps anyone else thinking of going away.

Last edited:

Most Reactions