Good Morning Sunshine! How Ya Doin?!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
As most of you know, I don't close cage doors.

So, last night, when I went to bed, Kiwi was asleep on her corner perch where I left her. All my other birds slept out on their playstands in their usual spots. I went down for a glass of water at somewhere around 5:00 a.m. and she was still in the same spot, sound asleep.

When I got up and went downstairs again at 8:00 a.m. Much to my surprise I was greeted with a full volume GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE! HOW YA' DOIN'?!

Kiwi had climbed out of her cage, and was ON TOP OF SALLY'S PLAYTOP. Sally was sitting at the other end of her playtop, with one foot in the air, just as calm as can be. Now, keep in mind that Lila would never be allowed anywhere NEAR Sally's cage, and would be chased off for even thinking about it.

So, my "flock leader" has apparently given Kiwi territorial rights... :D

More astounding though, she also allowed Tusk on her playstand at the other end of her cage. NO ONE is allowed to go on "her" playstand. Especially not that gray bird. So, it appears the territorial restrictions in this place have been eased up since Kiwi's arrival. This is a HUGE deal.

All of the smaller birds are fascinated by Kiwi.

The macaws, as usual, are using the new bird's arrival as an excuse to be picked up and held. (I'm over there supervising. So here comes the parade.) Some things don't change. Don't want conflict cuz I'm climbing all over the little bird's cage?! Then I guess you better pick me up...! I wanna be part of the party too!

Needless to say, this is working out WAY BETTER than I had ever hoped...

Right now, she's at the food bowl on the birdie coffee table. Quietly eating...

And Maggie just climbed down and is waddling back over here for the third time this morning... :D

This house has gotten a lot more lively and joyous this morning.

Last edited:

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I'm so glad things are working out! Kiwi is an exceptional parrot! I love that she got a great home with you and your flock.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Just got back from the laundrymat with Maggie, and of course, next in the routine is "bath day." She was a little nervous, but quickly did the amazon happy flappy thing, once I put her under the water. Then she went right back to her toys...

That whole "settlng in" process?!

No. We have an established routine around here. Welcome to the flock.

We skipped all the nonsense.

She's a "full speed ahead" bird anyway, because she is so young.

I took some pics this morning, but most everything was in a window, so they aren't all that great. She'll get her first taste of "outside tree time" this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll get some better pics this afternoon.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
A few new flock photos:

Kiwi enjoying a cashew on her door

Here she is sitting on my arm.

Also on the same arm/shoulder?!

So, yeah, this works out just fine.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You gonna pick me up or what?! I bet if I start chasing someone you'll pick me up...

Hey Karen, I bet Zoe never does anything like that, eh?! Sound/Look kinda familiar?!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My little old lady, Lila...

Tusk and Lila's cages are next to Kiwi's... they're already buddy birds. She gets along with all three of them. Tusk has been keeping an eye on her since she arrived.

:greenyellow:

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Maggie:

Today was laundry day, so like always, she came along and helped me do laundry:

We shared a breakfast Taco, and then she just hung out outside on her playstand, and played with her toys. Maggie is fully flighted. She is also 110% trustworthy.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Ooh I'm so happy for you..kiwi couldn't be with ANYONE better than you!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
What a fun and happy post! Loved seeing all the pictures. Everyone looks so happy.

So fun that Maggie goes to the laundromat with you!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Kiwi is stuffing her face at the moment... and she's pretty much eating everything I put in her bowl.

Tusk and Lila are hanging out on the corner of Tusk's cage nearest hers, just watching her eat.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Great pics! So glad it all worked out for everyone!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So, I've been taking turns picking up birds during the game...

I got to Kiwi's turn. She wasn't interested. She was too busy bouncing from toy to toy...

But I did beak wrestle with a very wound up amazon for a few minutes. Then she turned her head upside down for a few minutes for an extended head scratch. Then she want back to the toys, and playing with my fingers...

I can hear bells ringing downstairs as I type this. She's keeping herself busy.

Opposite of perch potato! She's a perpetual motion zon.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
You gonna pick me up or what?! I bet if I start chasing someone you'll pick me up...

Hey Karen, I bet Zoe never does anything like that, eh?! Sound/Look kinda familiar?!

Except Zoe flies/chases. Other than that it sounds just like her :)

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Davy Jones (FKA Buddy) Adopted 6/2015 @ 5 yo.
Blue and Gold Macaw Harley Quinn (FKA Harvey) Adopted 11/24/2015 @ 15 years old
sounds like you have a wonderful flock :)

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
We just got done with three hours in the tree.

Kiwi initially acted like she didn't know what to do, and then ten minutes or so into it, she was opening up. I let her explore the tree as high as a stepladder. (That's the introduction to tree training. She hasn't been trained to come down on her own yet, so, you just limit the extent to which she is allowed to climb. In case anyone was wondering.

Then I brought her down. She spent the last hour tucked under my chin. I didn't put her there. She went there on her own.

Did I mention she's exceptional?! :D

Not bad for a first day, eh?! I can tell you she's happy!!!

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Except Zoe flies/chases. Other than that it sounds just like her :)

Nah. Sweepea waddles around on the floor. She was slowly and deliberately climbing the smaller bird's cage specifically for the purpose of manipulating me into intervening and picking her up...

Then immediately up the arm to the shoulder, and pressed against my face, where she wanted to be all along...

Most Reactions

Latest posts