Good travel cage for GCC to get sunshine

Snowbird

Jun 13, 2018
California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi! I recently got a GCC, Raffi. He is a growing boy at about 9.5 weeks. I’m hoping someone can provide me with a good size carrier cage to take my GCC out for sunlight for about 30 minutes a week (per my avian vet’s advice). I want it to be a decent size for this amount of time spent in the cage but not so big that it is going to be hard to move and store. All advice would be appreciated as I’m trying to get it as soon as possible. I’m looking online but am having trouble finding one I like and think is suitable. Thank you for your help.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You are in fact looking for a very different type of Cage as a Travel Cage is design for to and from the Avian Professional's client or for road trips.

A porch cage, or like term, is much like a traditional cage, only that it is sized for ease in and out of the home use or a sleep cage. In both cases you are looking for a cage that is very easy to clean. The cage should be large enough for a full wing stretch and much of what you have on the indoor cage.

Warning: If your area has raptors or four legged meat eaters, the cage has to be strong enough to with stand an attack from such creatures!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THere are knock down travel cages, they are like 18" x 18" x 24"(?). But if you go for one of these look for an aluminum one, the steel ones weigh a ton.

OP
S

Snowbird

Jun 13, 2018
California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you for the advice! I’ll look for one that’s aluminum. Much appreciated!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
here is one

https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Cages-ALUMINUM-PARROT-carriers/dp/B00BB7DWB0/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=aluminum+travel+cage&qid=1619047456&sr=8-2
ref=sr_1_2

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel

I actually highly recommend these lightweight travel carriers - I have 2 that I take my conures outside in. I also use these little plastic bowls and hang them on the inside of the door for snacks and water.

Prevue Pet Products BPV1181 2-Pack Universal Plastic Hanging Cups for Small Birds, Colors Vary
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LOEJQW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_8K32J69DKWMJF2XYATR0

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
If you go with a plastic knockdown type of cage, I highly advise tyewraps on all snap parts! A slight bump or twist and they can, and will fall apart!

Most Reactions