Got bitten..

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
3 year old indian ringneck
hey i wish u and ur birds a grea day! :)

I was giving my parrot, roy some apples and he seemed so excited to eat it he accidentally bit my thumb and it bled a little i put on 2 bandages and some ice and it stopped hurting should i visit a doctor or smth ? 93A564D6-7503-43E1-B010-BCE3DA02364E.jpeg

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Awww Roy really likes apples, then!

You should be ok without seeing a doctor :)

Parrots don't have saliva, so they don't have much in their mouths to cause infection in a bite wound.

I had a very deep bite from a large cockatoo last summer and it healed well by just keeping it clean and covered :)

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
Awww Roy really likes apples, then!

You should be ok without seeing a doctor :)

Parrots don't have saliva, so they don't have much in their mouths to cause infection in a bite wound.

I had a very deep bite from a large cockatoo last summer and it healed well by just keeping it clean and covered :)
Thanks for assuring me!

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
Bites happen! As covered above, as long as you keep it clean, it will quickly heal.
It's part of being owned by a Parrot!
You have likely learned an important point: After the first big bite of an Apple its better to let them position the final bite, some place other than you fingers.
Gotchu i already knew about the biting being apart of owning a parrot, although i used to own lovebirds and budgies for years. And honestly, over time i've gotten bitten multiple times but i never bled personally. Although, my dad was playing with my old lovebirds a couple years ago and he was bitten in the forehead, it bled heh

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
hey i wish u and ur birds a grea day! :)

I was giving my parrot, roy some apples and he seemed so excited to eat it he accidentally bit my thumb and it bled a little i put on 2 bandages and some ice and it stopped hurting should i visit a doctor or smth ? View attachment 47921
As with any wound, there is always a possibility of infection
If, after several days, you have redness, swelling and increased pain you should a doctor. Has your "friend" apologized yet?

OP
indianringnecks

indianringnecks

Nov 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia, Dammam
Parrots
As with any wound, there is always a possibility of infection
If, after several days, you have redness, swelling and increased pain you should a doctor. Has your "friend" apologized yet?
thanks for the information about infections I am fine it was a minor bite and caused little to no harm. Also yes he seemed very upset after he accidentally bit me i petted him to let him know its absolutely fine!

skunkmonkey

May 7, 2022
Parrots
Rio and Maui both Indian Ringneck
This will be just the first of many bites, I assure you. Even a mild tempered bird will accidentally bite you from time to time, and sometimes hard if they are being aggressive with a toy in your hard or something.

They don't have very dirty beaks, they like to stay clean, so I don't worry about it really. I just treat it like any other scrape or cut, and clean it well, and if needed bandage it.

Most Reactions