Got my parrot dna results back!!!

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
As the fur-mummy of a female cat happily called Zod for all the years she was with us (we re-named her from Porsche when we rescued her!!!) my vote goes for keeping it exactly the same! In fact I struggle to think of Zod as a male name. Technically anyway wasn't it a surname, General Zod, so it's effectively gender neutral!?

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I've decided....

Clark is Clark. Zod will be named....Zod.

I tried Kara....but clark got more of a reaction out of it and I'm not changing her (clark's) name so I'm gonna stay with zod. I even looked online it isn't listed as a boys name or a girls name even in babyname wikiwhatever site thing.

So by definition it has no gender preference so it's apt for an original girls name.

Also I have paperwork now with the vet and DNA center saying Zod, so....I'm over it.

Now I just have to get used to using female gender pronouns with them....that part is tough! Seriously, you have no idea..."good boy, shhh* I mean good girl"

:gcc: + :gcc:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
LOL Ik keep telling Japie "good girl" - you (all) know he is a he, well ... the first few weeks I didn't! And D. (before him) was definitely a girl, so I was preprogrammed.

He does not mind... a compliment is just that :)

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Oh and to EllenD no I didn't want to try to figure out how to rear babies....I'm not a breeder, "Dammit jim (kirk) I'm a lover not a doctor" {play on star trek trope}

I wanted a companion to my companion and another companion for myself, not figuring out an entire new skill set. In the end if in six months they both don't want to move out and I'm not stuck with a $600 dollar phone bill, (RvB joke) I guess I'm going to be fine.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sound like you're well on your way to being just another Crazy Bird Person to me!

When all else fails, Just Enjoy!
Love the Humor my friend.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
so long as I don't buy another bird...I'm golden....

Attachments

• 1b66dfac05d7fce7686137125f703cc7.jpg
    1b66dfac05d7fce7686137125f703cc7.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 49

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hahahahaha! I feel your pain! My cockatiel Suzie was a girl, or so swore the store for whence "she" came. Of course, after a bit of research I discovered that she was most certainly a "he". But he stayed Suzie, nonetheless. He handled it all in good grace, too!

Also, if it makes you feel any better, in the Krypton TV series (prequel to Superman, obviously, as it takes place on Krypton) General Zod is a woman. And a badass woman at that! She will eventually be grandmother to the General Zod who becomes Superman's nemesis.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
NOW I"M GOING TO CHECK THAT OUT! thank you Anansi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Anytime! The show is actually not bad. Has its flaws, but DEFINITELY has its moments as well.

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
and this is how I wound up with a lady Kermit... congratulations ! At least you won't have to worry about them breeding !

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
so long as I don't buy another bird...I'm golden....
Lol!!!
This is what happened to me!!! I had 2 GCC girls for ever! Then one girl passed so I got a quaker, then someone was getting rid of two budgies, then.... I came across a neglected pitiful Quaker and rescued her!!!! So all of a sudden birds everywhere!!! And I love it ;)

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I've decided....

Clark is Clark. Zod will be named....Zod.

I tried Kara....but clark got more of a reaction out of it and I'm not changing her (clark's) name so I'm gonna stay with zod. I even looked online it isn't listed as a boys name or a girls name even in babyname wikiwhatever site thing.

So by definition it has no gender preference so it's apt for an original girls name.

Also I have paperwork now with the vet and DNA center saying Zod, so....I'm over it.

Now I just have to get used to using female gender pronouns with them....that part is tough! Seriously, you have no idea..."good boy, shhh* I mean good girl"

:gcc: + :gcc:

Ah, ha ha...I totally get it. I still say ‘good boy’ to Tango and then correct myself and say ‘good girl’....then Tango looks at me like I’m nuts. I figure that Tango doesn’t know the difference anyway, sigh. Good to know that I’m not the only one who puts an expletive in between good boy and good girl LOL :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I like the name Zod :).

Really Scott? More birds are male? I never heard that, but that’s interesting. Definitely true here. Except I cheated on most of them for getting males on purpose ;).

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
More females die early than males (the whole egg-laying thing), so in the end you have more male birds.
(Its like our medieval times were women mainly died in childbirth and men in wars.)

Incubators may have something to do with it- though I do not see how! (It is not like birds are reptiles and gender gets determined by the temperature) -> I was trying to get a couple of roul-rouls (for my workplace) but crazily enough we (NL) have about 3/4 males to 1/4 females from the incubator-situation.
I found a guy that just let them nest (naturally) in aviaries...and he has more females! (With almost every species he breeds/ parrots as well)
And since roulroul-men are not exactly friendly to each other, we all want more females!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm late to the hen party! I'm so glad you had your babies DNA'd, knowing they are both females will help you to know what to watch for in case of egg binding.
I think Clark is still the perfect name, and I also love Zod. You now have your own Three's Company going on:)

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
LOL! The shirt, plus the birds makes this photo epic.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I think that's why they rushed in...and wanted a pic.

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Definitely a killer setup ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts