Green Cheek Conure Suddenly Biting?

choccymilk

Dec 16, 2022
Hi,
About a month or two ago I moved my 14-week-old green cheek conure from an aviary with his two parents into an indoor flight cage.
He adapted to the change very well. I have let him out of the cage to play for at least 2 hours each day. He allows me to scratch the feathers on his head and liked to crawl under my hand to sleep.
2 days ago, he suddenly started biting me whenever I don't have a treat in my hand. This behavior seemed to come out of nowhere, I don't know what I could have done to cause this. These bites draw blood every time, I can't help but quickly push him away as gently as I can because they are very painful. I feel like his behavior gets worse every time I try to spend time with him, it is very upsetting.
Can anyone give some advice as to how I can stop him from biting?

Edit May 2023: DNA test came back and she is a girl haha. This issue stopped after 5 days, I believe she was having a tantrum because I had stopped letting her play with her favorite toy at the time: my laptop :cautious:. She is as friendly as ever now, thank you to the people who replied ❤️

Last edited:

Pio Pio

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
Kakariki
This sounds similar to the experience i am having with my Kakariki. I hope it has gotten better. Take care,

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi,
About a month or two ago I moved my 14-week-old green cheek conure from an aviary with his two parents into an indoor flight cage.
He adapted to the change very well. I have let him out of the cage to play for at least 2 hours each day. He allows me to scratch the feathers on his head and liked to crawl under my hand to sleep.
2 days ago, he suddenly started biting me whenever I don't have a treat in my hand. This behavior seemed to come out of nowhere, I don't know what I could have done to cause this. These bites draw blood every time, I can't help but quickly push him away as gently as I can because they are very painful. I feel like his behavior gets worse every time I try to spend time with him, it is very upsetting.
Can anyone give some advice as to how I can stop him from biting?

It may be time to start back at the beginning with him.
This is a wonderful thread with great advice on how to inspire them to trust:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I'd also recommend making sure you have a treat each time, and in time he should learn to do it without being bribed with a treat:)

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts