Green Cheek hates to be put away

Momoniica

Apr 15, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure : Dinky
I have a 6 month old fully winged. It’s always been a struggle to put him away- I would only take him out after work since he would fly from corner to corner until I could grab him. He will go in his cage to sleep on his own though.

I recently started letting him out in the morning while I get ready. I’ve had to grab him a couple of times- he flys around but sometimes he just lets me grab him. He will yell when I do though- not because I’m hurting him since he’s done it before my hand actually touches him
If I ask him to step up he might do it but will fly a second after. Doesn’t matter if I have treats. He does love being pet and cuddling. I have to convince him I’m not putting him away now though, he can be giving me kisses and fly as soon as he sees my hand. He will let me pet him if I’m laying down or on the couch. If I’m walking around he only lands on my head and won’t trust me to have my hand near him.
I have to put him away though. He does have toys in his cage. How do I get him to trust me again and go inside on his own?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I have a 6 month old fully winged. It’s always been a struggle to put him away- I would only take him out after work since he would fly from corner to corner until I could grab him. He will go in his cage to sleep on his own though.

I recently started letting him out in the morning while I get ready. I’ve had to grab him a couple of times- he flys around but sometimes he just lets me grab him. He will yell when I do though- not because I’m hurting him since he’s done it before my hand actually touches him
If I ask him to step up he might do it but will fly a second after. Doesn’t matter if I have treats. He does love being pet and cuddling. I have to convince him I’m not putting him away now though, he can be giving me kisses and fly as soon as he sees my hand. He will let me pet him if I’m laying down or on the couch. If I’m walking around he only lands on my head and won’t trust me to have my hand near him.
I have to put him away though. He does have toys in his cage. How do I get him to trust me again and go inside on his own?
First thing, stop grabbing him or your trust will be very hard to repair.

Have you heard of target training?
Here’s some YouTube channels that have excellent target training advice:

Also, does he have plenty of toys and fun things to do in his cage? Give him a reason to want to go back in the cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts