Guess I'll stop lurking :)

thursnov

Nov 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Parrots
Buddy - yellow nape amazon
I've been reading this forum for months, but I guess I should stop lurking and become a member. :) I am not new to birds (familiar with finches, lovebrds, cockatiels, conures, and I've worked closely with a grey and cockatoo for many years) but I am new to being owned by a parrot. I have wanted a parrot of my own (instead of loving on everyone else's :)) for years, but wanted to make sure I was ready for a life commitment to a feathered friend. I wanted to wait until I had my own house and make knew what I was getting myself into. It also took me a long time to decide which large parrot was the one for me. After much research and debate, I decided on amazons. My first meeting with my future feathered friend is tonight!

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself, as I'm sure I will have many questions along the way, and stories to tell. I'm a huge animal lover, work closely in animal rescue, and I'm also a state and federally licensed wildlife rehabber. I work closely with passerines/songbirds, mammals, raptors, and all types of wildlife on a daily basis, but I'm most excited about working with my future amazon baby. :green2:

Brittany

Congrats on your amazon and welcome to the forum ! You'll find that being " owned " by a bird is very amusing ( mostly to the bird lol )

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to take us some pictures. See you in the amazon section.

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome guys. :) The first meeting tonight went well - he immediately took to me and kept inching closer and closer to me on the edge of his perch. He kept lifting his foot up in the air towards me, so I offered him my hand and he stepped right up. How exiting! He was being shy and didn't talk for me, but he kept whispering things and moving his mouth like he wanted to say something. I'm sure I'll hear plenty once he warms up. ;) He's a 5 year old yellow nape and I'll be his 3rd (and hopefully last) owner. DNA tested male but they don't have paperwork, not that it matters to me. Unfortunately his owner is a smoker and smokes in the same room with the bird all day and night, and feeds the bird nothing but junk food. I'm looking forward to getting him into a smoke-free environment and hopefully onto a better diet, though I've heard it's very hard to break their love of junk food. I meet him one more time tomorrow and if all goes well, he'll come home with me.

Welcome to the forum. Wow, you have a very interesting job!

You sound like you are off to a very good start with your new boy. It will take time to get him on a new diet, but maybe his love for junk food will make it easier to get him to eat nutritious cooked breads & other prepared foods.

My green cheek conjure was a seed junky in her previous home for 4 1/2 yrs. and now she eats all kinds of veggies, some fruit & cooked foods. They are remarkable creatures and your baby already knows you love him.

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Amazons ! Zons are amazing birds with loads of personality, Im sure you will have a great time discovering each other. Congrats and good luck .

What a nice welcome - thanks guys! I think the hours today are going by extra slow... I don't pick him up until this evening. :) I can't wait to get him out of the smokey environment and start transition him to a better diet and start the bonding process. I love him already.

welcome. that's very exciting news. it is wonderful you are going to make such a warm, healthy and loving home for your new zon.

looking forward to photos.

How exciting! I can't believe that person smokes in the same room with the bird. I can't stand it when people smoke indoors. It sounds like you know what you're getting into, and will give him a great home!

Welcome and thank you for bringing him into a responsible and clean home life. I think you two will do just fine and I'm sure he wants out of that smoking environment and to be healthy so that he can live a long and happy life with you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back