GW molting question

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
So Remington has been losing feathers for the last 2 1/2 months, how long does a molt usually take? Initially he dropped large feathers, then small ones/downy looking ones, now medium sized ones and an occasional large one...i thought we would be basically done by now...or do they just lose them gradually all year?

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
They loose them gradually all year long. In the wild they need to always have enough feathers to be able to fly. If they lost too many at once they couldn't fly. My GW seems to go though times where he drops more feathers than other times. On the other hand my CAG never ever looks like he's lost a single feather nor do I ever see any new ones growing in.

OP
triordan

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
so how do you know they are going through a molt?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
If it is a molt you should feel and see the pin feathers growing back to replace the one that fell out. A new feather is encased in a keratin substance that eventually hardens and dries up. We can help the process along some on the birds head at that dry stage but they take care of the rest of the body. Many times there are blood feathers hidden in the wings for protection. Usually one on each side at a time.

OP
triordan

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
i do see pin feathers on his head

Most Reactions

Latest posts