Jun 7, 2012
Media
Scranton PA
Parrots
Darwin- Male Ekkie
Charlie- Cinnamon GCC
Twiggy- Cockatiel
RIP Paco, Jack, and Echo </3
Well it was inevitable. Today Elsa got into so much trouble that I decided that it would be best if we clipped her wings. First she fly away from me upstairs and came in the kitchen and landed on my moms friend's head. She was running around panicking as the poor bird climbed down her glasses. Then later we had her out in the living room and she dive bombed the cat and wouldn't leave her alone. She is out of control with her flight and I felt that it's just a matter of time until she gets hurt somehow. So I clipped her wings. I feel really bad but it's for the best right now. She has learned very well how to fly so hopefully next time she's up for a trim she might have learned a little about where she should be and what's safe and we can let her fly again. I just hope the wing clipping doesn't change her personality. I still want her to be adventurous, just not out of control. Thanks for the support you guys.

You did it for safety reasons. I feel clipping is a personal choice since we are the only ones that know our birds the best. This will also give you a chance to do some training with Elsa. I am sure she will stay an adventurous little girl.

Safety reasons is a reason why a lot of owners clip in the first place. It is a personal choice so don't worry about what others would say. He could have fly into hot pan, provoke the cat to turn around to attack, etc. Although not a easy choice to make but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Your story made me laugh, but it is no laughing matter I know. I'm glad Elsa didn't get hurt today. No it won't change her personality. It honestly might make it easier to get her trained. Safety is a pretty common reason for clipping, among other valid reasons owners may feel it's necessary in a particular situation, but I don't think anyone really just clips 'for the heck of it'. So don't worry what others think about it. You have support from many of us ;)
Many birds can still fly pretty well clipped, so don't underestimate her now, she could still be mobile enough to get into trouble :)

I feel for you; I recently had to do this as well. There are lots of things that can go wrong even for the most attentive of bird owners and you're just minimising the risk as best as you can. :)

She certainly did get herself into a lot of trouble! And don't beat yourself up over clipping. Most birds who can already fly aren't actually 'relieved' of their ability to fly entirely, they just can't go as high/far. Even if she is actually unable to fly, that won't necessarily 'change' her or even be negative thing, she will just have a different experience:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back