Hahns Macaws

CarmenSwayze

Jul 28, 2013
London
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hahns Macaw
Thank you so much for your advice. I'm sure we will get there - we've just got to get the Hahns to trust us first. He's already doing better even after 2 days. He's a little nippy but were patient! I have the conure with me 24/7 so don't want her to feel left out either!!

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Hi. I am new to the forum and introduced myself in a different thread. I am being owned by an 11 week old Hahns Macaw. A little girl. That I named Hahnna, intentionally spelled that way:( previously, I had a wonderful little girl named Boo, who is a U2, Umbrella Cockatoo. I hand fed Boo, out of an egg and had her 8 years. I suffered terribly from the powder she threw off, and finally made the heart wrenching decision to re home her. I did it because the past two years prior it was becoming impossible to hold her without a full blown asthma attack, and even though we gave her a room with plexi door and lots of toys, she was lonely for someone to hold her. With the help of a local bird club and two years os searching we found a nice family that suffered a tragic accident, through a gas leak and lost their three parrots. Anyway, I cried every night missing my Boo and we researched a lot and my husband surprised me by taking me to pick out a baby Hahns. Honestly, when I first say them, I was not sure, almost disappointed that they were so small. I know they are minis but in. Y own mind I had pictured a little bigger bird, not sure why since I read in black and white their size. Anyway, I spent a lot of time with the babies, and one in particular was really growing on me so I chose that little one. In my heart I had hoped it would DNA female, not sure why except I guess because my Boo was a little girl. Well, three days later we got the call and our baby was indeed a female. We have Hahnna now a coup,e of weeks and I am hand feeding her three times a day. I am really thrilled with her. She is so intelligent, has already learned to step up and say step up, and I potty trained her to poop over the toilet when she comes out of her cage. I am happy I gave it some time to get to know her, otherwise I would have missed out on a great little parrot. Like many have already said, they a small bird with the personality and intelligence of a big bird. I am looking forward to sharing my stories of Hanna and also about hearing fro. Others that also have a Hahns. I still miss my Boo deeply, but she has helped to heal the loneliness I had since Boo has left me. I just ordered the Aviator Harness, something I had always wanted for Boo, but by the time I found ut about them, Boo was already older and would have no part of it. Hanna is only 11 weeks so I figured if I started her now with it. It would become second nature. We have her on what was recommended, which is nuts, pellets, dried fruits and veggies. It is their own mix,but it has no seed. They recommended not feeding any seed. Just wondering what everyones take is on that? No seed or some seed. I have also been introducing a lot of fresh fruits and veggies along with pasta, sweet potatoes and whatever else I can think of and I cook up beans. We bought her a very large cage with lots of toys, which I will rotate regularly so she does not get bored, but we also repainted the room we used for Boo and hubby reinstalled a screen door, so when I am working she is not stuck in the cage. We got her from Bird Paradise out of Burlington NJ. The store is huge, and if you look they offer a 30 percent off coupon regularly which you can use on one item, such as toys, cages or food,but not on birds:(. They also have a large tent set up outside with super super bargains in case any of my Jersey friends are looking for a cool place with lots of things. Anyway, thank you all for having me n here and as soon as I can figure out how to post pictures, I will post some of my Hahnna. Elaine and Hahnna.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Buzz, it's a shame you don't have any nobles near you. They are a little bigger than hahns and supposedly also great little birds! But hey, hahns are very popular mini macaws! So don't be disappointed in her little size! She'll definitely make up for it with her personality! :D And it sounds like she's already a great fit, even with her petite size! :)

My mitred conure was 12 years old the first time he wore a harness! Age means nothing, but it's certainly easier with younger birds!

Seed is ok in small quantities (nuts are seeds!) but it's not good as a main part of the diet. It's lacking in a lot of nutrients. If you are hesitant on feeding seeds, well there's always sprouted seeds! Those are healthier than dry seeds anyway! ;) And you can also feed healthy grains and legumes! Larger beans are best avoided, or they need to be *fully* cooked, but legumes like adzuki, garbonzo, mung and lentils are fine fed sprouted or cooked!

I've heard Bird Paradise is a great store! I've also heard some bad things, but I don't know how those were handled, and I hope that those issues are in the past now.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Thanks Monica. I did read about the Nobles. They are very hard to find. It was also hard to find a Hahns in our area, the reason why we finally got our little one from a store rather then breeder. Very few breedersi. Our area that bred the Hahns and the one breeder we did find did not disease test, or DNA and I felt that they were brokered rather then his. Bird Paradise is a wonderful place for toys and food etc. not sure I would reccomend buying a bird from them. Not for any reason except in my own oppinion they have too many to possibly take proper care of. Atleast the type of care I feel they deserve. I cannot see how 250 birds can be hand fed, three times a day without rushing through, my reason for choosing to bring my baby home and feed myself. I do not believe in force weaning. The hand feeder herself said she did not have the time to feed them slow, so she had to do each one fast and showed me how to put the syringe almost down their throat. Very nice woman but definately over whelmed. I feed Hahna slowly and let her do the swallowing, p,us theynhad her on exactly 12cc and she seemed to want more so I give her what she will eat and just check the crop to make sure it is filled but not bulging. She eats well on her own and I think she is close to cutting out a feeding soon. They reccomended cutting the morning feeding which made no sense to me. Made more sense to cut her middle feeding out. Asfar as price and stock goes though. You will find anything you want there and I enjoy walking through. Not sure I agree with them allowing anyone including children to handle the babies. Today Hahnna seemed to be making some wheezing noises and a few sneezes as if something was glogged in hernose. Does not seem ill. And p,aying and eating fine but I called Dr. Doolan an avian vet out of North Star who we had for Boo. I am trying to get an appointment for tomorrow just to have him look her over Bird Paradise told me to bring her into themto orrow and they will check her, but even if she is ill I would not leave her there I would take her to Doolan. Anyway, I am hoping it is nothing, And yes you are right they are a lot of bird in a small package. I just to,d my hubby tonight that I could never imagine loving any like I did my Boo, but Hahnna has really stolen my heart and I am already very attached to her. Not sure how to post pictures bit as soon as I figure it out I will post some of her, her cage and her bird room.

Most Reactions

Latest posts