Half Moon Conure and Black -Capped Conure

Demeter

Mar 9, 2023
Hi conure conneiseurs!
Skip these next two paragraphs for the TL;DR šŸ˜‰

I adopted my Quaker a year ago and she's now about 20 months old. I think we are both ready for another bird! She's on the small side at about 85-90 grams (she was 65!).
She's a bit needy - when I try to leave her room she will fly after me, insistent on coming with. I had to teach her to forage and am still working on encouraging her independent play beyond just eating and talking to herself when she's alone in her room. This is heart breaking but I may not be remote/home every day much longer and I can't be with her 24/7 (unless I switch careers and become a pirate).

She seems outgoing and social and I think she would like more of a flock - I don't know much but she apparently had another bird in her room at her first home. Also, I am super attached to her and it may be good to spread that around a bit.

TLDR: Here are my conure questions:

- birds are absolutely individuals, but was wanted to get impressions and general temperament and traits of ..
1. The Half Moon Conure and
2. the Black Capped Conure.
They're both so cute.

I was thinking of getting the largest so likely a male bird so They will be closer in size.
- how do the personalities of the males and females differ? (Ive heard female Amazons and male budgies tend to be more easy going, Is there a personality difference with Male vs Female conures?)

- do birds tend to prefer opposite or same sex friends of other species?

- are the black capped bigger than the half moons? Are either smaller than green cheeks?

- I plan to have 3 birds total eventually - would it be better to get a 3rd (possibly an English Budgie) closer together in time to increase the likelihood of all getting along?

Or course they will have their own big cages and will be supervised if out together - I'm paranoid of someone losing a toe šŸ˜„

Thanks in advance for sharing any tidbits of your experience and wisdom!!

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi conure conneiseurs!
Skip these next two paragraphs for the TL;DR šŸ˜‰

I adopted my Quaker a year ago and she's now about 20 months old. I think we are both ready for another bird! She's on the small side at about 85-90 grams (she was 65!).
She's a bit needy - when I try to leave her room she will fly after me, insistent on coming with. I had to teach her to forage and am still working on encouraging her independent play beyond just eating and talking to herself when she's alone in her room. This is heart breaking but I may not be remote/home every day much longer and I can't be with her 24/7 (unless I switch careers and become a pirate).

She seems outgoing and social and I think she would like more of a flock - I don't know much but she apparently had another bird in her room at her first home. Also, I am super attached to her and it may be good to spread that around a bit.

TLDR: Here are my conure questions:

- birds are absolutely individuals, but was wanted to get impressions and general temperament and traits of ..
1. The Half Moon Conure and
2. the Black Capped Conure.
They're both so cute.

I was thinking of getting the largest so likely a male bird so They will be closer in size.
- how do the personalities of the males and females differ? (Ive heard female Amazons and male budgies tend to be more easy going, Is there a personality difference with Male vs Female conures?)

- do birds tend to prefer opposite or same sex friends of other species?

- are the black capped bigger than the half moons? Are either smaller than green cheeks?

- I plan to have 3 birds total eventually - would it be better to get a 3rd (possibly an English Budgie) closer together in time to increase the likelihood of all getting along?

Or course they will have their own big cages and will be supervised if out together - I'm paranoid of someone losing a toe šŸ˜„

Thanks in advance for sharing any tidbits of your experience and wisdom!!
Hello!! Welcome to the conure community!!! To be honest, I havenā€™t kept any of these specific species, but from my experience with green cheeks, I think I can help you out. So, for temperament, conures tend to be very outgoing, playful, cuddly, and brave (meaning they arenā€™t scared of new things most of the time) BUT they are alsoā€¦loud, nippy, and can be a bit bipolar. Their bites really hurt and they can go from sweeties to demons in a matter of seconds. I think birds would like the same sex as a friend so that they wouldnā€™t mate. Mates tend to be aggressive with each other and the female bird can have health issues from egg laying. Those are the only questions I feel confident answering but good luck!!!

OP
Demeter

Demeter

Mar 9, 2023

Hello!! Welcome to the conure community!!! To be honest, I havenā€™t kept any of these specific species, but from my experience with green cheeks, I think I can help you out. So, for temperament, conures tend to be very outgoing, playful, cuddly, and brave (meaning they arenā€™t scared of new things most of the time) BUT they are alsoā€¦loud, nippy, and can be a bit bipolar. Their bites really hurt and they can go from sweeties to demons in a matter of seconds. I think birds would like the same sex as a friend so that they wouldnā€™t mate. Mates tend to be aggressive with each other and the female bird can have health issues from egg laying. Those are the only questions I feel confident answering but good luck!!!
I do worry about my Quaker girl getting broody and trying to lay eggs!
So far so good. She's unpredictable and frequently nips although once broke the skin when she saw my hand and the laptop mouse "together". She's a wonderful bird though.
You noted
.I think birds would like the same sex as a friend so that they wouldnā€™t mate.

Does it this mean she's more likely to get hormonal with a male of another species? That's definitely a concern then.. because 1. I don't want her laying eggs and risking becoming egg bound and 2. I don't want her to go wild and lose interest in humans...
maybe I should aim for a female of another species then?

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I do worry about my Quaker girl getting broody and trying to lay eggs!
So far so good. She's unpredictable and frequently nips although once broke the skin when she saw my hand and the laptop mouse "together". She's a wonderful bird though.
You noted
.I think birds would like the same sex as a friend so that they wouldnā€™t mate.

Does it this mean she's more likely to get hormonal with a male of another species? That's definitely a concern then.. because 1. I don't want her laying eggs and risking becoming egg bound and 2. I don't want her to go wild and lose interest in humans...
maybe I should aim for a female of another species then?
Different species donā€™t tend to try to mate so I doubt that sheā€™ll get more hormonal or lay eggs. Also, with Quakerā€™s and conures Iā€™ve found they love their humans just as much as theyā€™re bird companions. if you are bonded to each of the birds then youā€™ll be a part of their flock, so your quaker shouldnā€™t become wild.

Most Reactions