KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots
Bubbles- An aqua and white female fancy parakeet

Star- An aqua and yellow (probably) male fancy parakeet

Kiwi- RIP my sweet little green boi TwT
Sooo, my budgies were on a pellet diet since we bought them from the store, they are pellets well for the next 6 months, but then I noticed they were having trouble breaking down the pellets. Maybe they’d gone stale because of air in the bag or something…? This continued until I stopped giving them pellets. They loved their next 3 month seed and veggie diet. Until finally, I decided not to risk fatty liver disease and ordered pellets. The old brand probably wouldn’t work so I ordered a new brand, Pretty Bird… I’ve heard some negative and positive comments about them but since my budgies only accepted brightly colored pellets I chose them. The same thing. The pellets were hard and they were having trouble breaking them down. After lots of bites, Bubbles managed to eat two and seemed to really like them. I fed one to Kiwi and he fell in love. Literally. His pupils went tiny and he began obsessively licking and nibbling the pellet. He managed to break it down and eat it, but still with some trouble. I’m not sure whether I should break them down for them, I already know that my budgies hate soaked ones. I’m also not sure if this might be a beak problem. There’s no way the Pretty Bird pellets went stale right as soon as I got them…
A quick pic, I couldn’t get my budgies eating the pellets cuz as soon as they noticed the iPad, they jumped up to watch..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 97

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My little birds eat Tropican pellets, and they will also eat Zupreem.. In my opinion, fresh veggies are just as healthy as pellets as long as there is a variety, and if your guys are eating veggies that is awesome.
What size pellets are you using? My little guys eat the smallest size available.

SoberParrots

Aug 15, 2021
North Carolina
Parrots
lineolated parakeet, Bipper
Sooo, my budgies were on a pellet diet since we bought them from the store, they are pellets well for the next 6 months, but then I noticed they were having trouble breaking down the pellets. Maybe they’d gone stale because of air in the bag or something…? This continued until I stopped giving them pellets. They loved their next 3 month seed and veggie diet. Until finally, I decided not to risk fatty liver disease and ordered pellets. The old brand probably wouldn’t work so I ordered a new brand, Pretty Bird… I’ve heard some negative and positive comments about them but since my budgies only accepted brightly colored pellets I chose them. The same thing. The pellets were hard and they were having trouble breaking them down. After lots of bites, Bubbles managed to eat two and seemed to really like them. I fed one to Kiwi and he fell in love. Literally. His pupils went tiny and he began obsessively licking and nibbling the pellet. He managed to break it down and eat it, but still with some trouble. I’m not sure whether I should break them down for them, I already know that my budgies hate soaked ones. I’m also not sure if this might be a beak problem. There’s no way the Pretty Bird pellets went stale right as soon as I got them…
A quick pic, I couldn’t get my budgies eating the pellets cuz as soon as they noticed the iPad, they jumped up to watch..
The colors on your budgies are absolutely gorgeous! I recently got my bird on a pellet diet and he absolutely loves it. If they are having trouble chewing it again, maybe blend, chop or hydrate the pellets.

BirbTasty

Aug 16, 2021
Parrots
Hehe, bird go BRRRRR
The BirdTricks pellets are cold pressed so small birds can crumble them easily.
I agree with this. In captivity, many times the foods that birds would eat in the wild are not suitable to be in a daily diet (fruits, nuts, and seeds especially!). These foods, high in fats and sugars that would normally be burned off flying, tend to cause health problems when fed in excess amounts (obesity, fatty liver disease, hypervitaminosis, etc...) that are beginning to plague the parrot world.

However, these problems can be avoided if measures are taken to provide a natural daily feeding system, like BirdTricks. The cold pressed pellets break down easily for your birds, and I believe that with the all-natural ingredients, mixed with the cold-pressed nature of the pellets, your bird should be happier and healthier in no time.

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

My little birds eat Tropican pellets, and they will also eat Zupreem.. In my opinion, fresh veggies are just as healthy as pellets as long as there is a variety, and if your guys are eating veggies that is awesome.
What size pellets are you using? My little guys eat the smallest size available.
I got the normal size for budgies… They have to break them apart a few times to eat them. They eat lots of carrots, spinach, and broccoli too (all organic)

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

The colors on your budgies are absolutely gorgeous! I recently got my bird on a pellet diet and he absolutely loves it. If they are having trouble chewing it again, maybe blend, chop or hydrate the pellets.
Thanks! I guess my birds really missed pellets. I’ve tried soaking them but soaked pellets seem to scare my birds somehow… I think I’m going to try breaking them down a bit

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

I agree with this. In captivity, many times the foods that birds would eat in the wild are not suitable to be in a daily diet (fruits, nuts, and seeds especially!). These foods, high in fats and sugars that would normally be burned off flying, tend to cause health problems when fed in excess amounts (obesity, fatty liver disease, hypervitaminosis, etc...) that are beginning to plague the parrot world.

However, these problems can be avoided if measures are taken to provide a natural daily feeding system, like BirdTricks. The cold pressed pellets break down easily for your birds, and I believe that with the all-natural ingredients, mixed with the cold-pressed nature of the pellets, your bird should be happier and healthier in no time.
I think I’ll consider it, we were looking at organic pellets but I don’t think my budgies would eat them since they’re used to bright and colorful pellets

Most Reactions

Latest posts