Harissons for budgies?

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Hello. I was at my vet in Czech today.... One my female budgies Cicinka has some health problems for a long time, she had an atypical siluette on the x ray 9 months ago... it dissapeared... but she is still often such sleepy and apathic during a day... it is like her normal behaviour. She is an albino budgie.... her poops contains more urine, I would say.... often. Reason? We do not know. She could have some hormonal problems or can be a constanst carrier of chlamydiosis. Now I will heal it not by avian medicine, but by human medicine against chlamydiosis. But mainly her daughter Erwinka.

Erwinka has yellow urine which shows on some liver problem. She had chlamydiosis recently, but those atypical poops occured again also after ( maybe ) 35 days of chlamydiosis treatment... She is such strange when looking at her, like her liver would cause the changes in her behavior. Maybe she has some mild hepatitis.
I was recommended try to give her ( them ) harissons pellets for small birds... It is popular in USA, but I live in Europe and have enough seeds here. I do not buy organic veggies and herbs.... Does anybody has an experience with harisson pellets AT BUDGIES? Can it charge the kidneys, or is it totally ok? Thank you.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Thank you. It is available here, maybe also ROudybush, but I wonder mainly if the small birds have kidney problems when eating that.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
My birds eat pellets... along with their seeds and veggies. My budgies especially are not fond of pellets in general. However I have observed them eating the Harrisons. (My conure loves Harrisons.) I am happy with their ingredients and think they are a good pellet.

I have read somewhere that for budgies it Might not be Always the default-best to go to a pellet-only diet, and that budgies do need to have an option for seeds (and veggies of course).

As far as kidney problems I don't know but I would trust Harrison's more than most of the others. (Well except goldenfeast and TOPS - but those both have ingredients that **I** am allergic to inhaling.) I think their reputation is that they are a healthy pellet and so I think they have a little more reputation on the line, so would want to be careful of what they do. That is just my opinion, of course.

Anyways, Harrison's is the pellet I give my birdies.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We are an Amazon household. Much bigger and a bit different dietary requirement. But, near all, likely all, Parrots need fresh foods as part of their diet, with dark green to the full balance of a Veggies based chop as the majority of their diet. The dry segment should be a combinations of healthy seeds, commonly found in their natural range, including some grains, and nuts. Fruits as seasonally available. We add Pellets as a supplement with their volume based on the findings of a full spectrum blood test.

We are a combination of Harissons and Tops. Both are zero color additives and low to no sugar or salt.

A well balanced diet will help balance the liver issues you are experiencing, but Pellets will not reduce 'by themselves' the liver issues.

Prayers that your budgies health will improve in the new year.

FYI: When changing a diet, remember too do so in stages! Back-up if you note your Parrot is not eating. Never create a situation in which the Parrot is starving itself! The goal is to transition to a healthier diet.

And, Welcome to Parrotforum!

Last edited:
OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Fiddlejen, despite I did not understand most of your reply, thanks.... I could also get Roudybush here, but I mean generally if the pellets do not contain more sodium and calcium which could be hard for kidneys. One my budgie has low white blood cells, aneamia, worsen kidney rate, probably she is a chronic carrier of chlamydiosis, and her daughter has an acute hepatitis, also low white blood cells. and I was recommend to supply the vitamins by pellets, but some people do not prefer them.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Sail Boat, thanks very much. In the upper reply on Fiddlejen, I described the problems of my budgies... Hepatitis, her mother kidneys worsen, but could be repared... I am giving the human medicine on chlamydia now, because the avian did not help much.... I did not realise I should chop those veggies... I think I am not able to get most of the veggies in organic form. Please, can you advise me which kinds of veggies should I look at? Chicory, cucumber, carrots, rucola? I would not find a dandelion here now in winter. It grows mainly near the streets, also chickweeds not here now... thanks.

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
Sometimes budgies (and birds in general) will respond better to things that look like toys than new foods. They just don’t know that the new thing in their dish is edible. I have had more success getting the veggies into our birds by hanging them in the cage rather than chopping them. The first day or so they might be ignored, but once the birds get curious they quickly decide what “color” they like the taste of best. Carrots, peppers, sweet potatoes, broccoli...all can be cut into thin slices, poke a hole in them, and hang in the cage nicely with a bit of kitchen string, or you can purchase and use skewers that are made for this exact purpose. Remove the veggies after a couple of hours, and start with fresh food the next day, or at the next feeding time. The different colors make it look like a toy, and the list of choices is endless. Obviously avoid the toxic foods, like avocados. I also like to stab fresh greens (romaine, kale, chard, fresh spinach) onto the end of perches or hang from the top of the cage. Usually the greens are gone within 20 minutes for my budgies. The bonus of making veggies look like toys is the birds have fun and get some good nutrition in. Plus this gets them used to the new flavors and textures of fresh food, which you can eventually convert to chop but don’t rush that process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Sometimes budgies (and birds in general) will respond better to things that look like toys than new foods. They just don’t know that the new thing in their dish is edible. I have had more success getting the veggies into our birds by hanging them in the cage rather than chopping them. The first day or so they might be ignored, but once the birds get curious they quickly decide what “color” they like the taste of best. Carrots, peppers, sweet potatoes, broccoli...all can be cut into thin slices, poke a hole in them, and hang in the cage nicely with a bit of kitchen string, or you can purchase and use skewers that are made for this exact purpose. Remove the veggies after a couple of hours, and start with fresh food the next day, or at the next feeding time. The different colors make it look like a toy, and the list of choices is endless. Obviously avoid the toxic foods, like avocados. I also like to stab fresh greens (romaine, kale, chard, fresh spinach) onto the end of perches or hang from the top of the cage. Usually the greens are gone within 20 minutes for my budgies. The bonus of making veggies look like toys is the birds have fun and get some good nutrition in. Plus this gets them used to the new flavors and textures of fresh food, which you can eventually convert to chop but don’t rush that process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant advice hun :)

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
thanks for the advice. Well, I usually give just good quality seeds, grass seeds, carrots, some greens if available, or soaked millets with vitamine powder on that.... or could sprinkle brewings yeasts on the seeds, but what everything to give in order to have well balanced diet, I do not know.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
The addition of any supplements even if essential needs careful administering to not over supplement the bird which can be as bad as too little. Mostly in my experience people use fresh foods with pellets or fresh foods with supplements.

Most Reactions

Latest posts