Harlequin macaw, need help

sidewayzs14

Jan 9, 2022
I have owned Rex for 20 years. He has been in great health. Few days ago his eating has slowed. Started getting dizzy and couldn't keep his balance and has been tired. Took him to the vet couple of days ago. Vet said he looked healthy, eyes beak body muscles feathers droppings. Next day got worse again. He is eating and drinking some. What could be going on.

Thanks in advance

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Take him to AN CERTIFIED AVIAN VET!!
This link might help you find one
Keep burd warm
Get her to eat anything at all
Baby bird formula or her favourite foods treats as long as she is eating!
Weigh her with a gram kitchen scale
The average weight for a harlequin is 2 to 3 1/2 pounds
If its lower then that by 10% something serious is going on!
Burds dont show signs of illness unti they are VERY ill

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Did your vet do anything else, blood work or xrays? If not, I’d demand something more than JUST a basic wellness exam which sounds like your vet did (essentially, the bare minimum).

also, is this vet an avian vet? If not you really should get your bird to a certified avian vet (or “avian and exotics” vet at minimum). They’re better positioned than a typical dog/cat vet to dela with parrot issues.

OP
S

sidewayzs14

Jan 9, 2022
Took him to an exotics vet. Weighed over 2 pounds. He has been sneezing some. He checked him thoroughly. We had acold snap that came through when this started. He seemed to think it was an environment issue. Also he has been on a seed and fruit diet most his life. He seems to think a diet change would also help. The balance issue is what I am worried about. When he gets tired he crawls to the bottom of the cage and rests.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Took him to an exotics vet. Weighed over 2 pounds. He has been sneezing some. He checked him thoroughly. We had acold snap that came through when this started. He seemed to think it was an environment issue. Also he has been on a seed and fruit diet most his life. He seems to think a diet change would also help. The balance issue is what I am worried about. When he gets tired he crawls to the bottom of the cage and rests.
Again a certified avian vet would more likely figure things out

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry your macaw is sick.
You mentioned the cold snap, was he kept outside?

I agree with you and the other members , this is cause for concern. And an avian vet is needed, with blood work abd gram stain minimum.

As stated above, get a digital kitchen scale, and track weight daily till resolved to see how ( hopefully treatment by new vet ) is going, and that the bird is not loosing weight.

Sick burds need extra warmth, it very helpful with healing, and to save them calories. Sweeter heater as found on Amazon is whst I use, tge smallest one and set back from cage. Its radiant heat and that's the best kind. By support warmth i mean 85f , so a supplement heat source is needed. I also turn my home heat up to 78.

Sick burds also burn 3 times their normal calories. So it is helpful to supplement with baby burd formula made thick like yogurt and served warm, never force. Many burds will take from syringe abd like. About 20ml at a time should be good for your size bird. If still eating on own then once or twice a day or support. An hour before bedtime helps them overnight.

Sometimes chronic zinc toxicity or heavy metal poison can present like this. Vet would have to do a blood test an x ray looking for metal in digestive system. And so many infections can all have the same symptoms. So only a veterinarian could help identify.

I've had seriously ill parrots, and quick veterinarian care, supporting warmth:, supplement feeding has saved them.

These are definitely serious act now symptoms.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh sideways, my deepest condolences on your loss, I'm so very sorry. It's never easy to lose a beloved family member like Rex, whether their time with us is long or short. Please focus on the good times you shared together and keep them in close in your heart, and I hope that in time his memory will bring you more smiles than it does tears.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, beautiful Rex, until we all meet again. 🙏

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am so sorry. After so many years together, you have suffered a great loss.
I just read a book about a little island off Scotland. They believed that a white “soul bird” came to get every person’s soul after they died to take them to heaven. Your Rex did not need another bird to come and get him. He went directly there, as a rainbow bird.
I will be thinking of you and Rex.

Last edited:

Most Reactions