Harrison's Bird Foods High Potency Coarse use as a Treat for my Moses Eclcetus

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hello.
I presently use TOP's Parrot Food Pellets.
Moses loves them and they are very highly recommended and reasonably priced.
I tried Harrison's Bird Foods High Potency Coarse and he also loved Harrisons.
I decided to continue to use Tops and I was thinking that treats and rewards are sometimes not so good when training. I presently slice up raw almonds (and Moses Loves the almonds). But lets face it all nuts have a possible high fat content which is not good for parrots especially Eclectus Parrots.
What do you think about using 1 little piece of Harrisons as a Treat?
Also one more thing - My boy lost his best friend my 14 year old PTSD service dog Duchess. Moses everyday calls for Duchy. He will say "Where's my Duchy", "Duchy you want to go out".
Well Moses plays with Duchy's red ball daily and often feeds the red ball (yeah i know its instinct) and Hormonal ) Well what I am leading up to is that every evening when Moe goes to his sleeping cage we wash the red ball and I put it in a santizer that i used to use during covid. I santize it for 15 minutes often with some his other toys. I Think this is Good Idea:) Do you agree with Harrisons for treat and also santizing Moses toys (like the red ball)
thank you and God Bless

Attachments

• IMG_2024-01-09-08-00-14-271.jpg
    IMG_2024-01-09-08-00-14-271.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 7

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
sliced nuts as training treats is perfectly fine. As long as you arenā€™t feeding 10 nuts a day, youā€™re perfectly fine.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
sliced nuts as training treats is perfectly fine. As long as you arenā€™t feeding 10 nuts a day, youā€™re perfectly fine.
Hello, Thank your for your reply.
Most nuts are very high in fat. My avian vet advised to feed less than 1 almond a day. I ususally slice them very thin so i can get by with about 10 treats or slivers of almond. Lately I have been giving Moses one Harrisons pellet as a treat and he loves that:) I continue to give Moses Tops Pellets in his day cage and he goes an eats when he wants a pellet. He is still on fresh vegetables and fruits. usually 50% fresh vegetables, 25 % fruits and 25% Tops Pellets :)Thank you and God Bless

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Sorry to hear about your service dog. Last year about this time we lost our shih tzu. Nico (Ekkie) fed our shih tzu all of the time. He was cranky (nippy) the first week, or 2 after our shih tzu had passed away. I donā€™t know if he was tuned into my emotions, or if he felt emotions because our shih tzu was no longer laying by his cage waiting to be fed. It was a daily event. My Ekkie appears to be sensitive. Again, Iā€™m sorry for your loss.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Sorry to hear about your service dog. Last year about this time we lost our shih tzu. Nico (Ekkie) fed our shih tzu all of the time. He was cranky (nippy) the first week, or 2 after our shih tzu had passed away. I donā€™t know if he was tuned into my emotions, or if he felt emotions because our shih tzu was no longer laying by his cage waiting to be fed. It was a daily event. My Ekkie appears to be sensitive. Again, Iā€™m sorry for your loss.
Hello
Yes our Moses used to kiss Duchy when we said kiss, everyday Moses calls "Where's my Duchy" among other things, i cannot post the pic as they said dogs are not permitted on parrot forum as they are predators:( thank you and god Bless

Attachments

• Moses1.jpg
    Moses1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 7

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hello
Yes our Moses used to kiss Duchy when we said kiss, everyday Moses calls "Where's my Duchy" among other things, i cannot post the pic as they said dogs are not permitted on parrot forum as they are predators:( thank you and god Bless
I read the rules years ago. I myself forget them sometimes šŸ˜‚ The moderators on here are familiar with me. If they want something removed they know I donā€™t care, and they can go ahead. It wouldnā€™t be fun being a moderator because you canā€™t make everyone happy.

Moses is so beautiful šŸ¤© for whatever reason our Ekkies bonded with a dog. Iā€™m pretty sure Nico liked my shih tzu more than most people. My Ekkie unfortunately picked a favorite person, and tends to let others know that he would prefer them to not be in eye sight. We are working on it!

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
I read the rules years ago. I myself forget them sometimes šŸ˜‚ The moderators on here are familiar with me. If they want something removed they know I donā€™t care, and they can go ahead. It wouldnā€™t be fun being a moderator because you canā€™t make everyone happy.

Moses is so beautiful šŸ¤© for whatever reason our Ekkies bonded with a dog. Iā€™m pretty sure Nico liked my shih tzu more than most people. My Ekkie unfortunately picked a favorite person, and tends to let others know that he would prefer them to not be in eye sight. We are working on it!
Hello, thanks for your reply reading all these posts I see all the eckies are unique in their own way (thats a good thing) Moses takes to everyone and he does have his moods, sometimes he stays close to my wife (he calls momma when he wants her) then sometimes closer to me and then calls Daddy :) sometimes he just wishes to sit on his perch in the family room by himself as we watch TV :) he is the Best but now we have problem asto who can watch him when we plan to go on anniversary cruise from tampa this summer.... thanks again :) ps forgot to say Moses loves car rides in the wan we bought for Duchy before she passed away (my service dog:)

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_153017.jpg
    IMG_20210423_153017.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 6

Most Reactions

Latest posts