Have Elderly Green Cheek

laffnvegas

Dec 5, 2016
Las Vegas
Parrots
Female Lessor Sulfur Crested Cockatoo age 24 and Female Green Cheeked Conure age 26
Hi I am new to your forum, been a parrot owner for years. We have a 24 yr old Lessor Sulfur Crested Cockatoo and a 26 yr old Green Cheek female Conure. We have had both since they were newly hatched but I just feel really bad for our GCC named Baby, I can tell she is suffering from old age. She has trouble standing on a perch and prefers just hanging on to the side of her cage near one of her toys. She eats and is drinking water but when she gets on one of her branches to poop she often falls off. I feel so bad for her. Her favorite treat is peanuts and she goes and grabs it but has trouble holding it to eat it and standing on one foot. This has been going on for several months now but seems to be worse in the last few weeks. It is sad to see her getting old but thinking that this is a pretty long life for a GCC.:(

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I love those Fids! Take a look at some flat perches, easy to make! I really feel for you both!

Yup, as stated by my good friend above!

Also, check out the Amazon Forum and look at the highlighed Threads at the top of the Forum. In the Thread: I Love Amazons .... on page 3 is a Post Titled: Getting to the Foot of The Problem. Also see the additional Posts that follow it for a couple of pictures that present what a Parrot's foot should look like on a properly sized perch.

Also, Web Search: Disabled Birds and Disabled Parrots for addition ideas that other owners are doing to help their Parrots!

Keep coming back, lots of members here that can provide more information!

OP
laffnvegas

laffnvegas

Dec 5, 2016
Las Vegas
Parrots
Female Lessor Sulfur Crested Cockatoo age 24 and Female Green Cheeked Conure age 26
Is this basically normal how they act when they become old? I have heard mixed ages of the life span for a Green Cheek?? Many places state 20 yrs but I think I saw here up to 30. What is there average age they live to?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome! Would love to see phots of your babies!

Your post makes em reflect on a time a number of months ago when my male ekkie came home from an extended stay with the vet. He was completely out of sorts and could not stay perched. I had to keep him at night in a travel cage next to my bed so if he sell it would only be a couple inches rather than 3 feet (he is in a 6 foot tall cage).

I wonder what his cage set up is like. If you haven't already considered it, it might be worth it to consider a more elongated and shorter cage. A cage in which much not much actual perching is necessary. Maybe treat home more like a ground dwelling bird rather than a tree top bird.

OP
laffnvegas

laffnvegas

Dec 5, 2016
Las Vegas
Parrots
Baby's cage is about 30 inches high so not extremely high. I do also place food on the bottom of the cage. She does good at climbing all over it is just the perching especially when she is using only one foot.

Attachments

• 100_0002.jpg
    100_0002.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 284
  • 100_0008.jpg
    100_0008.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 550
  • DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 267

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
Aww my Aunt has a Green cheek that is about the same age as yours 25 years old. She is slowing down. she does not like to fly as much. She also is still as Fresh as she was when she was young. She is not falling off the perch. That would worry me. Every bird ages differently.

When was the last time she saw an Avain Vet?

Yes 26 years old is a good elderly age for a Green Cheek. Good job keeping her happy and healthy for so long.

Last edited:

Nicky76

Apr 17, 2016
UK
Parrots
Archie the Patagonian Conure and Chilli and Doris the Kakarikis ❤️
We've got an old boy with arthritis- we made him a bungalow to make life easier for him [emoji3]
88135274010eff15db3edd0dded47e9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Published bird lifespans are all across the spectrum, and IMHO very dependent on the specific situation. Environment, diet, genetics, access to vet care, etc are all determinants.

Has Baby had an avian vet checkup recently? What you describe may be the aging process, but parrots are notoriously adept at hiding maladies. Hopefully nothing is awry, and you will be able to help Baby accommodate!

Most Reactions