Have you ever lost a free-flighted bird?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
IT WAS THAT GUY AND HIS STUPID LADDER!!! SWINGING THE STUPID LADDER AROUND AND NEARLY HITTING HER TWICE CAUSED HER TO PANIC.

SHE FLEW TOO FAR AWAY FOR ME TO FOLLOW ON FOOT. SHE LANDED IN SOMEONE'S YARD, AND THEY TOOK HER...

When I was reading your thread on Maggie, I had so much anger towards ladder guy :mad:

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
I must admit for a long time after Mark posted the loss of Maggie, I didn't free fly with any of mine unless being indoor. I would not presume to ever be as skilled as Mark and Maggie, so who am I to risk my birds health by being foolish.

YOU KNOW, NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS DID I EVER IMAGINE I WOULD LOSE MAGGIE... SHE WAS SO WELL TRAINED, AND LITERALLY WENT OUT WITH ME ALL THE FREAKING TIME, FULLY FLIGHTED. NEVER ONCE, IN 17 YEARS DID SHE EVER FLY OFF ON ME...

IT WAS THAT GUY AND HIS STUPID LADDER!!! SWINGING THE STUPID LADDER AROUND AND NEARLY HITTING HER TWICE CAUSED HER TO PANIC.

SHE FLEW TOO FAR AWAY FOR ME TO FOLLOW ON FOOT. SHE LANDED IN SOMEONE'S YARD, AND THEY TOOK HER...

I'm still bitter about that. That bird was my constant companion for 17 years. Losing her damn near killed me!!

Mark, I am SO sorry if you read this as I said you were foolish. I mean I am not as trained as you and if you could loose Maggie, free flying mine seems foolish in comparison.

T

takito

I have lost a couple, the bottom line is :
And at the end of the day, any free flight parrot owner has to understand there is always a risk of loss, no matter how bonded and exceptional the bird is.
This would apply to other birds as well, not just parrots.
Even with modern technology and a GPS tracking device, the tracking device does not stop a
"predator", or prevent a accident , like getting hit by a semi, while flying across a highway .
One of my conures is very good about coming back, but then one day when he flew , he went
over to the neighbours yard, usually he all ways circled and would come back either to me or land
on top of his cage, but one time he went over the fairly high fence, and did not come back,..since the fence is very high and not the kind of fence one can just climb over, I immediately went into the house, through the back door, and out the front door, to go over to the neighbours, the drive way is open, and I was going to enter their back yard via the drive way,
I had just barely got out the front door, and I heard "Pedro" screaming, and he came flying out the driveway, headed straight for the highway, and not very much altitude,...there was traffic on the highway,..and right on his tail , snapping at him was this horrible "pit pull", I yelled at the dog, and started running toward then,..Pedro sort of "crash landed", on the ground, before he reached
the high way, the dog snapped at him, but Pedro bit the dog, and also I threw a rock at the dog,
it ran away,... fortunately Pedro was UN-harmed, but very scared ,and pretty much out of breath
so to speak,...and me, almost with a hart attack,...any way Pedro, jumped onto my hand, and then shoulder, went down my neck and hid under my shirt, clinging to me,...
If I had been just a few seconds slower, in getting out the front door, poor Pedro would either have been dog food, or run over when he crossed the highway,...
Any more now, when we go outside, Pedro does not fly any where , he stays right on my shoulder, and clings to my shirt,...he really does not even like to go outside now, in fact usually
if he is on my shoulder, and I head for the door, he jumps off , and flies back to the other side of the room,...
In any event the "room" is large enough , all the conrues can fly around quite well, in their room,
and safely,... the same with the "love birds",...
Another parrot,(Kiko) bigger then the conrues, actually I am not sure what kind he was, but any way,
he was real good about not flying away very far, etc,....but one day he did and never came back,
I don't really know what happened.
Then there was the "Zanate", this was a "wild bird", grackle, common to this area, he had fallen
out of his nest when he was little, and I fed him with a dropper, cared for him, when he was able to fly he all ways followed me every where, and also during the day would fly off with the other birds, but in the evening would come home, and come to the door, for his evening meal, ......in the mornings, he would come down from his tree, for breakfast, when he heard me whistle,... one morning, he did not show up,... the cats did, and they both had that "guilty" look... I hate cats now,......they are a horrible animal.
Anyway, I did find the remains,...it was the cats that killed him,... I was very sad indeed,..it is
a very strong bonding that occurs when one raises a baby bird, feeding it by hand etc,...they get to be like a child, and then you see them grow up , etc.... I was really sad about "El chanate",...
chanate4-tmb.JPG

any way,... guess for now that is all.

Most Reactions