Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I've been thinking about this for awhile, having too many parrots. People are surprised when I say I have nine. I care for them all to my fullest capability, I love having a flock dynamic with the budgies, and when I don't want to play with Tom who's crazy energy is fun and wonderful but exhausting I can go to Tony who prefers to just sit with me and ask for a scritch every once in awhile. The cockatiels really want nothing to do with me, the budgies are about the same, sometimes Striga likes to check me out to see if I'll give him some millet.
Other times I think of how much more I could do for them if I only had one or two birds but I could never ever rehome any of them. I care for them all well, it doesn't overwhelm me but I do see the appeal in having only one. I could've provided a small paradise for one bird. They all have more than adequate food, toys, and love from me.
I just want people to know that I can.
I don't really know why I made this thread, this just bothers me sometimes and I wanted to say it to people who I know will understand, everyone else is like their just birds you know.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I have nine birds, I think it's perfect for me right now /thread.

There's always this though......

download.jpg

That's when you worry.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
i think 2 birds is a good amount but i also think 9 would be nice too yknow? i mean i would like more birds am i happy with 2 atm yeah i am in the future id like to have 7-9 birds i guess it kinda depends on the stage in your life ur in too? and the kind of person you are and how well u can handle the pressure of taking care of that many pets.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I had the Quaker and looking around I found a bunch of budgies a set of 4 then a set of 2 that really needed rehoming...adopted from their former owners.....the last two had their wings cut, but they have now grown back.

Then I finally found my two brothers...

They took a bit to get along with the originals but.....I don't even worry now. When I'm not there they are separated when I'm home... the cages are open and everyone is just awesome.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I also have 9 parrots.
My Cockatiels cause the most headaches.
2 (Angel & Popeye) and to a lesser degree Cheeky are always getting spooked. Have considered rehoming but I can’t. Angel and Popeye both hatched in this house and I watched them grow. Are ver friendly.
Bingo the yellow nape has been in the family since 1985.
He is not going anywhere.

Bella the CAG is a rescue that is completely bonded to my wife.

That leaves the Twins.
they are very noisy and I would not miss that at all but….
They play and play off each other,, I don’t know how to put it to words.
they are so much fun to watch that…
I once thought about getting a pair of Caiques but with the twins it’s unnecessary .

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
I can't imagine having more than 1 parrot considering I spend an hour in the morning everyday to clean my sun's cage / replace food / replace the water in the birdbaths. 9 is manageable only after I retire.

I wonder if having 2 birds will make them less lonely, compared to having only 1 bird when no one is at home. I don't wanna have 2 lonely birds though.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
I can't imagine having more than 1 parrot considering I spend an hour in the morning everyday to clean my sun's cage / replace food / replace the water in the birdbaths. 9 is manageable only after I retire.

I wonder if having 2 birds will make them less lonely, compared to having only 1 bird when no one is at home. I don't wanna have 2 lonely birds though.
ive only had budgies so far and i had a pair of mates the female died and Julius wouldent fly wouldent step up would just stare at the wall for hours tbh i dont think he would have survived alone i guess it depends on the bird too

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
ive only had budgies so far and i had a pair of mates the female died and Julius wouldent fly wouldent step up would just stare at the wall for hours tbh i dont think he would have survived alone i guess it depends on the bird too
I'm sorry for your loss. How long has the male budgie been doing that? Before I adopted my red sun, he had a mate and died too. He was living in the worst possible condition.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I'm sorry for your loss. How long has the male budgie been doing that? Before I adopted my red sun, he had a mate and died too. He was living in the worst possible condition.
he was like that for about 2 weeks before i went up to my parents and gave them a piece of my mind and told them i was gonna do right by my bird whether they liked it or not idk seeing him sad made me angry. So about a month later i adopted indi and now julius is happy to have another snuggle buddy n somebody to cause chaos with. and yeah he was in a tiny cage that is my 8 yr old self's fault now they have the biggest cage i could find though so i feel better.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I also have a lot of birds. 6 in total(well... 5 at the moment). People are also shocked that I have so many, especially since I'm a teen.

I still don't understand how some people are able to have 15+ pets(I'd be mentally and physically exhausted), but I mean, if you are able to take good care of them, and you have someone(or more than one person) to care for them if you suddenly pass away, then it's ok.

Edit: also, not all people are surprised in a bad, most are just fascinated by it since not a lot of people have so many.

Last edited:
OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I wanted to see other peoples opinions on having many birds. I have several snakes as well but they are sooooooo easy compared to the birds. Thanks for all the replies you guys made me feel better about it 😊

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I wanted to see other peoples opinions on having many birds. I have several snakes as well but they are sooooooo easy compared to the birds. Thanks for all the replies you guys made me feel better about it 😊
I think there are benefits to having a flock established. I volunteer at a sanctuary where they've worked really hard to put birds together that get along and it's so cool to see.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I think there are benefits to having a flock established. I volunteer at a sanctuary where they've worked really hard to put birds together that get along and it's so cool to see.
We have a bird rescue near where i live and they do something similar. They see to birds that seem to like each other and let them do there own thing and bond to eah other so there not so lonely if they spend a few months in the shelter :) its kinda cool to see.

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Green Bean -Male Eclectus adopted 8/27/17 (6 months old)
I've been thinking about this for awhile, having too many parrots. People are surprised when I say I have nine. I care for them all to my fullest capability, I love having a flock dynamic with the budgies, and when I don't want to play with Tom who's crazy energy is fun and wonderful but exhausting I can go to Tony who prefers to just sit with me and ask for a scritch every once in awhile. The cockatiels really want nothing to do with me, the budgies are about the same, sometimes Striga likes to check me out to see if I'll give him some millet.
Other times I think of how much more I could do for them if I only had one or two birds but I could never ever rehome any of them. I care for them all well, it doesn't overwhelm me but I do see the appeal in having only one. I could've provided a small paradise for one bird. They all have more than adequate food, toys, and love from me.
I don't really know why I made this thread, this just bothers me sometimes and I wanted to say it to people who I know will understand, everyone else is like their just birds you know.
You sound like a very special person who can give a comfortable, loving home to 9 birds. I have only one and he wears me out even though I love him more than anything. I have thought about getting a 2nd one, but I can't imagine living with twice the mess (he's the messiest roommate I've ever had!). I am so grateful to people like you who have the capacity to care for multiple birds.

Staatsbrat

Aug 14, 2020
It all depends on the birds. We (my husband and I) have four. We’re tapped for time since we do a lot of rotation work now bc they can’t all be out together. But in saying that, I will add that we have the financial capability to do more - if a bird(s) were ones that for whatever reason can’t/don’t want to be handled, we could do that and I wouldn’t feel bad. We’d have to move someplace with a different space arrangement, so it’s not really an option rn, but I can see where more would work without an issue. I should add that we both work from home. Our B&G and parrotlet are bonded to me and our cockatoo and Amazon are bonded to him.

Last edited:

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
I have a mixed flock of 11 birds. Parrots survive in the wild because there is always someone in the flock looking out for predators. So single birds are often nervous. If you have one companion bird and worry about it being lonely, consider adopting a pair of budgies that are in a rescue. That frees up the rescue's cage for other needy birds and gives those two a secure home . . . and gives your single bird some company - and some peace because all alone, he has to always be on alert. Just a thought.

Staatsbrat

Aug 14, 2020

It’s like having kids… you get into a rhythm lol

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I have a mixed flock of 11 birds. Parrots survive in the wild because there is always someone in the flock looking out for predators. So single birds are often nervous. If you have one companion bird and worry about it being lonely, consider adopting a pair of budgies that are in a rescue. That frees up the rescue's cage for other needy birds and gives those two a secure home . . . and gives your single bird some company - and some peace because all alone, he has to always be on alert. Just a thought.
Would a single bird get spooked and fly off more often than if you had multiple birds?

Will having multiple birds necessarily make them less lonely when I'm not at home? If I get 3 lonely birds together, it would be more time spent for more trouble?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I have 3 parrots. 2 smaller, and 1 larger. I’ve debated taking on another larger parrot. I just don’t know if I’d have the time. I also have 2 dogs. One’s a senior (he’s starting to get a lot of medical issues). One’s a vivacious puppy. Both are over 70 pounds. Some days I feel like I’d have the time to take on another recue. Other days I wonder how my head is still attached to my body as I’m so disconnected with how busy I am. I wonder how some of the people on this forum take on so much. I think they have super powers!

Most Reactions