Hello and Questions

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Hey I am new here. I have two 17 year old birds. One is a a female Sun Conure named Sunny who I have had since she was 13 months.

The other is a female Quaker parrot who I had since she was 11 weeks. The Quaker is obviously my first bird

My Quaker has had a tumor for 1 to 2 months that seems to. E growing very quickly. She is scheduled for surgery this Tuesday. If they cannot remove the tumor intact, they will amputate.

For anyone who has had a similar experience, please shr your experience. I never had a bird undergo any surgery.

What should I expect. I have never even seen a Quaker parrot with one wing before.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
So...
I've had a bird undergo surgery. It was for a broken leg; very different from your situation.
Expect cones, collars, stuff like that, and a lot of instructions from your vet on what to do and what not to do. Since a broken leg and a tumor are different things, I won't provide much more than that.
Good luck on the surgery, and I'm sorry this is happening ❀️

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to forum.
I'm sad to hear your quaker girl has a tumor. I hope for a smooth surgery and quick recovery.

You are a wonderful and clearly dedicated owner.

I haven't had to have surgery on any if mine.

But I know warmth is good for sick or injured birds. K&H seems a cage warmer panel. And Sweeter Heater sells a radiant heat panel ( very powerful so only small size needed and this one needs to be set back from cage) so maybe one if those would help.

Also takes extra calories to heal. So id have favorites on hand . Sickies ( post surgery babies) get what ever they want. Ofcourse within reason as to much sugary foods or fruits will cause issues. But don't limit their normal diet. You might pick up baby bird formula, incase not eating. To use as support feeding. But I imagine the vet will have her pain nmeds abd she will hopefully bounce back quickly.

Keep us updated. Will be thinking of your little one.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Thank you guys, my home office is a bit warmer than where they are now. I had to get a separate cage because she and the sun are housemates. They are pretty close. People ask me if they are a couple.

If I can’t special heater can I use blankets or towels to partly cover cage for warmth.

My biggest concern is wouldn’t care. Is she going to have bandages? How much pain will she be in? Will she hate me for this?

I am opting for surgery to contain this thing. I am also preparing myself for my first ever avian wing amputee.

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Hey I am new here. I have two 17 year old birds. One is a a female Sun Conure named Sunny who I have had since she was 13 months.

The other is a female Quaker parrot who I had since she was 11 weeks. The Quaker is obviously my first bird

My Quaker has had a tumor for 1 to 2 months that seems to. E growing very quickly. She is scheduled for surgery this Tuesday. If they cannot remove the tumor intact, they will amputate.

For anyone who has had a similar experience, please shr your experience. I never had a bird undergo any surgery.

What should I expect. I have never even seen a Quaker parrot with one wing before.
I’m so sorry you are in this situation. I am not too sure with surgery and what not but I hope everything goes well and your baby has a speedy recovery. ❀️

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Even making your home warmer can help.

You can cover the back of the Cage. But you don't want to cover all of the cage and make it dark .

I'm sure you must be full of worry and stress, we would be too. You are doing what's best for her.

Wild birds and eagles who have had amputation to save their life do fine. I've seen several eagles and an owl at the zoo who had wing removed because of being shot or accident. They seemed to be doing well and having a good life.

Maybe you can call and the vet or tech to call you back ( if needed) what to expect and how to prepare. I'd think they would be happy to talk you through everything.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your flock! I've had several parrots undergo surgery with generally excellent success. Key to outcome is best qualified avian vet, and aftercare. Ask every conceivable question and do not hesitate to seek second opinion if desired. Good luck to your Quaker, please keep us updated!!

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Thank you, everyone. I hope I am doing the right thing. I am just afraid of waiting too long since the tumor came about in a month or two. To me, that's pretty fast.

I don't know any that is the size of a Quaker who has had surgery. The only story I know of is a quaker parrot who had a tumor on the base of his tail. He had it removed and died 5 days later because cancer had spread.

Is my little buddy going to be in a lot of pain? I have had surgeries and so I know what it is like for me to have surgery but I am waaaaaaaaay bigger than she is.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thank you, everyone. I hope I am doing the right thing. I am just afraid of waiting too long since the tumor came about in a month or two. To me, that's pretty fast.

I don't know any that is the size of a Quaker who has had surgery. The only story I know of is a quaker parrot who had a tumor on the base of his tail. He had it removed and died 5 days later because cancer had spread.

Is my little buddy going to be in a lot of pain? I have had surgeries and so I know what it is like for me to have surgery but I am waaaaaaaaay bigger than she is.
Let’s hope he won’t be in a lot of pain. Vets know what they’re doing. But…I can’t guarantee he won’t be in pain. I’m so sorry ❀️

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I understand that a wing amputation can cause balance problems in the beginning.
lowering your perches to keep your bird safe may be a good idea.
keep foo and water dishes low also.

good luck.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Vet will often take tissue samples for lab scrutiny and identify whether growth benign or worrisome. Plenty of oral meds available as pain reliever. When you get to that point, let us know if your bird difficult to medicate. Plenty of great tips!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Keeping things low won’t be a problem.

This will sound really dumb but I hope that I won’t be super shocked at the site if her. Who knows what she will look like Afterwards. .
You can be shocked. She will have just had a large surgery and she won't look the same. However, it is important that you don't stop loving her with your whole heart as you did before. I hope your little girl gets better, and
Untitled14_20220118183116.png

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Intellectually I understand what you are damaging. I just hope that my emotions don’t get the best if he.

I didn’t fall in love with her because if her wings. I fell in love with that BIG personality and that adorable little face.
That's good! I didn't mean that you didn't love her of course, just be prepared for change and take it in stride.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I just hope she makes it through and they her quality of life will not diminish. I obviously know there is recovery. I just hope she won’t die a week later or something like that.

Do most small parrots make it through such a surgery. I am worried for her.

Aldi she has a sun Conure BFF. They are housed together. Obviously I have a separate cage for my Quaker to recover in but will their relationship be negatively affected. Will my sun know it’s her.

Sorry if I am asking dumb questions. As you can see I am not the brightest bulb in the Christmas tree. The sun and wisher enjoy sitting right next to each other and mutual preening. They do everything together a lot if the time. They love showers too. They are one month apart in age and are both female.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I just hope she makes it through and they her quality of life will not diminish. I obviously know there is recovery. I just hope she won’t die a week later or something like that.

Do most small parrots make it through such a surgery. I am worried for her.
I don't want to worry you....
Some do and some don't, I'd say more do than don't, but it's still so risky to put such a small animal under anestesia. However, if she did pass it would be painless, like passing in your sleep with no pain.
I think you need to just do the surgery and see how it goes. Usually burds with severe health issues are more likley to succumb to the negative affects of surgery, but stay hopeful! If the vet thinks it's the best option, do it.

Sending love from my burds to yours❀️❀️❀️

Most Reactions

Latest posts