Hello everyone!

Etheldreda

Mar 23, 2021
Texas
Hello all!

I'm a wife and mother to three kids, and have always had a place in my heart for animals of all kinds. I grew up with multiple pets in the home and that has continued with my own family. Currently we have a dog and leopard gecko, and my daughter owns a betta fish which she is lovingly caring for.

When I was young, I had the privilege of picking out a parakeet as my birthday gift from the local pet store. He was an absolute angel, and he grew up with me. I have never forgotten how much fun it was to own a bird, and as my kids have gotten older I have been considering purchasing one again - with a lot of encouragement from my husband, who thinks they're pretty darn cool too.

We seem to be learning towards a cockatiel, and I have all of the supplies ready to go - now for the hard part, actually locating one that is healthy and happy! Wish me luck, because we're hitting up yet another pet store today (which also doubles as a rescue, so I will definitely be checking to see if they have any "rescue cockatiels" as well) and we'll see if we can meet a new feathered friend.

I have been reading and researching quite a bit over the last couple of weeks so I'm feeling pretty confident, but if anyone has any further advice on what to look for and what to expect from a new cockatiel it would be much appreciated.

I also wanted to thank you all because I have been lurking these forums and learning quite a bit along the way, so know that your shared knowledge is much appreciated.

Have a great day everyone!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrotforum!

As you may have come across in your research, there is great advantage to allowing the Parrot to choose as they are much better at it than the Human want to select based on, which one is prettier.

In addition, we are seeing longer life for those Parrots that get to visit their Avian Medical Professional at least once every 12 to 15 months. As well as starting with a New Parrot Examination shortly after coming into one's home.

I hope that your search today is successful!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard, thanks for the lovely intro! Researching is best antidote to errors and impulse purchase, so glad you found the forums helpful.

Good luck today with your visit! If multiple candidates are available, might find one "chooses" you. That can bode very well for establishing trust and bonding.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome how exciting!! I agree with Sailboat, pick the one who step up for you.

There is Craigslist, abd while caution should be taken, sometimes just a regular person decided to have a clutch, and you might a very well socialized one that way. I found a hobby breeder of quakers on Craigslist , and got my first quaker that way. He was awesome, was raised as part of the family.

If you have been lurking. Yiu probably heard me say how important to have a digital kitchen scale set to grams and weigh your burd weekly. It can be a life saver.

This article i share because it covers so much , diet, cage placement, how birds like rituals. On the observation section, it does not mean just leave you bird in the cage and observe , dome burds want and need to come out the first day!! And you definitely want a flock call or whistle that is the same that you all use. When yiu are out if sight your birds will call to touch base, yiu use your flock call to answer back.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:
OP
E

Etheldreda

Mar 23, 2021
Texas
Thank you so much you guys! I appreciate the tips! Yes, I am definitely on the hunt for one that will "choose me" if at all possible, so far I haven't had much luck. It seems between COVID and the crazy weather we've had here in Texas, there's a shortage on birds of all sorts, but especially the more common companion birds like parakeets and cockatiels.

I am meeting a couple of babies tomorrow through Craigslist (thanks Laurasea!) so wish me luck Part II. I will have to practice my patience as the little ones need a while before they'll be weaned and ready to come home, but I am actually kind of happy with that as it will allow me to be quite sure everything is in place and ready for the little guy.

Laurasea, I have a kitchen scale already - I don't know how I lived without one before I had it haha! I am going to read that article right now, looks like there's a lot of great info there.

SailBoat, absolutely! Thankfully I am in a big city and have a good choice of vets that I can take the little guy to when the time comes.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Awesome! I had to wait for my bwby to grow up too@ I got to know the breeder really well abd she shared video of babies. I had her hold all the males as I wanted a male. Then I let him choose me. He jumped right in my arm. Went happily to travel cage abd ate abd played with toys. He never looked back!

I hope everything goes as smoothly for you!!!!
Trust your instincts

This is quick behavior article. Also worth a read
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Last edited:

Most Reactions