Hello im a new member

Peaches1970

Feb 23, 2021
Media
Binghamton NY
Parrots
8 yr old blue fronted amazon
Hi Im Tracy and I own an 8yr old amazon named Peaches. Ive only have had her just over a week. She was and is a little skittish. But ive made some progress with her. She has settled in her new cage and comes out to visit on her perch outside her cage. Yesterday I was able to spend the day with her. I have a 1" wooden dowel about 3ft long left over from making perches for her. I was able to coax her to step up on it and took a journey around our home. She was talking and cooing on and off. Our journey lasted about 35 mins. And when I took her back to her perch, I told her what a good job she did and asked if I could rub her head. She bowed down and let me run head head almost a min. I was really excited about our progress. Today after I got home from work , I worked with her some more and took another walk. I took a little break and sat down on the couch with her on the wooden dowel and was talking to her. She bowed her head and wanted me to rub her head again. This time it laared alot longer and she was cooing. Our little trip lasted about half an hour. I'm so excited that shes coming around!!! šŸ˜ My goal is to get her to step up on my arm without trying to really bite me. I think someone in her last home was mean to her cause she very timid towards me putting my hand in her cage and also trying to get her to step up on my arm. She is becoming more trusting I can feed her treats by hand and if I dont have treats she tries to bite. I still have along road ahead of us. But im looking forward to developing a close bond with her. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

A great resource is over on our Amazon subforum, the 2 threads at the top, I Love Amazons, and Amazon Body Language. Read both, out loud to Peaches, 'zpns love being read to. They are GOLD for amazon owners.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!
And Welcome to Parrot Forum, the place that Amazons hangout.

As state above, read those two Threads at the top of the Amazon Subform and the extensive number of Threads within that Subforum.

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Sounds like youā€™re doing just fine!

Donā€™t stick your hand in the cage to step up. Offer your hand right at the entrance to the cage...forefinger and middle finger pressed together, other fingers tucked into palm...and ask nicely, ā€œStep up?ā€

Donā€™t be afraid if the beak goes for you. Thatā€™s their way of testing the reliability of the ā€œperchā€ youā€™re offering him. Doesnā€™t mean he wants to viciously bite, but regardless, itā€™s worth the chance. You should also notice that his eyes donā€™t pin and his tail feathers donā€™t flare, which indicate heā€™s getting into overly excited mode. And these indications donā€™t always mean aggression. It just means heā€™s excited.

Thereā€™s a point where you just want to take a chance to get him to step up. Keep talking sweetly to him, get ready for the bite, but as long as heā€™s coming to YOU and youā€™re not forcing yourself on him inside his cage, youā€™re halfway there.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Welcome Tracey and Peaches! This is a great place to learn and share things about your Amazon and many other birdies. I've had my BF for 31 years and I still won't try to get him to step up onto my hand when he is in his house,he'll just nail me! After all it IS his house lol. He comes out on his own within minutes anyway and once he is on his playpen I use his perch stick to get him to step up. Once away from his house he's up to anything.

BTW we love pictures here ;)

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, you are OUR KIND of folks! I'm so glad you found us.
Welcome!

9lhIlM0.jpg

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Welcome Tracy and Peaches. Kudos for taking on a re-home/rescue....we are here for you every step of the way. I see that you have already been given great advice above and links to informative threads. Ask lots of questions as needed....and, as aforementioned, we LOVE photos!

OP
Peaches1970

Peaches1970

Feb 23, 2021
Media
Binghamton NY
Parrots
Update on peaches. She's still doing good stepping up on the dowel to go walking around our home. She will put her head down for a head rub. Sometimes I think she's trying to trick me cause she will but her head down like she wants it rubbed and then if i try to , she whips her head up like she wants to bite. She also walks back and forth on the dowel and sometimes she acts like she's testing my hand to step up but then she tries to bite harder. When she does that I move the dowel to distract her, then she's ok for a few minutes. If she acts like she going to try again acting sneaky I just put her back on her perch. Still proud of the progress we've made in almost 2 weeks.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Asking for head scratches and changing her mind is the trick my CAG pulls on me.

Usually I am trying to pick her up and she uses a head scrach as a distraction and as a means to block my hand from approaching too closely to her feet.

OP
Peaches1970

Peaches1970

Feb 23, 2021
Media
Binghamton NY
Parrots

Update on peaches. The last few days I've gotten her the dowel then put it on the floor to get her use to stepping up on my arm. She's done good after about 5 times and having her stay on my arm before putting on our training perch. After 5 good runs she's had enough and starts biting. I really think she's never really been handled much. Today she was having fun dunking her head in her water dish taking some what of a bath. Lol she even tried to put her foot in there ( that's the first time she's done that since coming home). I do use a water bottle and mist her once a week so she kinda gets a bath.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What you are seeing is common with Parrots that are forced to use their water bowls because prior owners never provided alternatives. Once they start this, it's a life long thing for them. Not a problem only requires water changing.

FYI: When you see her doing this, add water for her! She will appreciate it!

OP
Peaches1970

Peaches1970

Feb 23, 2021
Media
Binghamton NY
Parrots
Im not sure she would allow me to add water to her dish when shes trying to tske a bath in it, shes still bitingat times. So Im thinking of trying to put a glass pie plate in her play area to see if she would try and take a bath there. Be bigger than her water dish.

Most Reactions

Latest posts