hello im new

urigard

Dec 17, 2009
My name is ted and i am getting a quaker parrot and have read alot about it and am exited and also alittle weary because i hear they can be a bit of a nuscance but that is true with any inteligent animal i will post pictures of my bird as soon as i get it

BlueToast

Oct 18, 2009
Media
South Jersey
Parrots
Severe Macaw
I just learned that Quakers have frequent bm's like every 15 minutes or something crazy like that. Welcome to the board.

OP
U

urigard

Dec 17, 2009
that was most likely me asking a worst case senario cause i do not know the first thing about parrots and have been reading up on them on the internet and wanted to know if the stuff i herd was true or not. Just hoping noone bought my bird before i get my money.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Suggest you read the book Parrots for Dummies. It was the first parrot book I read and I sure learned quite a bit. They take much care and time/attention. If you are thinking that a parrot can be a "bit of a nuscance " you should do your reasearch first before the bird. One needs to be willing to put your heart and soul into caring for the bird.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Big decision to make.
Parrots for Dummies is a great book, try get it and read it.
A parrot requires lots of time and patience.
Read thru the posts, see what has been posted. Gives you an idea what having a parrot entails.
Make a wise decision !!!!
Take care

OP
U

urigard

Dec 17, 2009
thanks everyone i didnt mean to use the word nusance i just ment that they will get me up when they think i should be up and demand all of my attention

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
They demand at lot of attention and inter-action.
Basically it's like having a baby 24/7.
Mishka my AG wakes up at 4.AM every morning.
Little bit of playtime for both of us.
Then it's breakfast.
Through out the day, she wants someone to interact with, talking to her and giving her attention.
At night, chatterbox time.... she sits on my lap for an hour, we chat, play and interact.
Parrots need to be stimulated constantly.
A parrot loves routine, know what to expect, on a daily basis.
As SB mentioned you must be willing to put your heart and soul into caring for a bird.
No matter how intelligent a bird is, if he is not given proper care, loving and quality time, many problems might occur.
You probably want to teach the bird to talk, it takes hours and hours of constant talking to get a bird to talk.
What if the bird never talks. When purchasing a bird there is no guarantee they will talk.
A true bird lover will accept the bird unconditionally.
Keep us updated whatever your decision.
Great day

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts