New member here for advise.

melissa87

Jan 6, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi everyone.

A little over a week ago we had an accident and my baby pineapple conure passed away. I am getting a new baby today and I am VERY nervous.

Firstly I am nervous about repeating any mistakes we made that led to the passing of my previous baby. I have learned alot and I was hoping I could turn here for tips on how to give my new baby the best quality life.

Her name is Pikachu and I got her from the same breeder as my previous baby. I have a few concerns about the breeder now. When I got there they wouldn't let me see the aviary or the parents, I just saw some cockatoos and their cages were so dirty. They were also in a room with normal lights and I don't think that's good they need sun for vitamin D don't they? They also said that the baby is between 3 and 4 weeks and she ( the gender of which they could tell by the head shape) was on 2 to 3 feedings a day.

I called my friend who took her in to foster immediately after this since she has raised many birds and I wasn't experienced at all. She was horrified because he was just a white fluff with no real feathers yet except for 4/5 red ones on the tail and green tips on the wings but other than that she was completely white. She said if this baby is between 3 and 4 weeks she needs at least 4 feeds and she also said that they should have given me some training on how to feed etc due to the risk of crop issues and choking. She is going to give me some in person training on feeding checking the crop things to look out for etc.

So my first question is how old do you guys think a baby conure that is just a fluff with no feathers is. Her eyes were open but really she was like snow white's fluffy cousin. At what age should I start doing what? I have a large cage and toys and food etc. But my friend said she is far from real food at the moment. I am already burdening my friend and don't want to ask her. I am fetching my baby in an hour she has since gotten many new colours and is hand feeding very well, asking for food and flapping her wings when eating.

TLDR.
1. How old is a baby pineapple conure that didn't get any colour yet but they eyes are open. 3 weeks +-?? I attached a picture.
2. When do I start introducing her to foods to get used to the taste of chop and pellets.
3. What other things should I be aware of cage size and sleeping arrangement while she is still small? Attached picture of cage we bought.

Attachments

• 20240106_145310.jpg
    20240106_145310.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240109_205312.jpg
    20240109_205312.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 12

Jsinmxsic

Apr 3, 2024
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
Hi everyone.

A little over a week ago we had an accident and my baby pineapple conure passed away. I am getting a new baby today and I am VERY nervous.

Firstly I am nervous about repeating any mistakes we made that led to the passing of my previous baby. I have learned alot and I was hoping I could turn here for tips on how to give my new baby the best quality life.

Her name is Pikachu and I got her from the same breeder as my previous baby. I have a few concerns about the breeder now. When I got there they wouldn't let me see the aviary or the parents, I just saw some cockatoos and their cages were so dirty. They were also in a room with normal lights and I don't think that's good they need sun for vitamin D don't they? They also said that the baby is between 3 and 4 weeks and she ( the gender of which they could tell by the head shape) was on 2 to 3 feedings a day.

I called my friend who took her in to foster immediately after this since she has raised many birds and I wasn't experienced at all. She was horrified because he was just a white fluff with no real feathers yet except for 4/5 red ones on the tail and green tips on the wings but other than that she was completely white. She said if this baby is between 3 and 4 weeks she needs at least 4 feeds and she also said that they should have given me some training on how to feed etc due to the risk of crop issues and choking. She is going to give me some in person training on feeding checking the crop things to look out for etc.

So my first question is how old do you guys think a baby conure that is just a fluff with no feathers is. Her eyes were open but really she was like snow white's fluffy cousin. At what age should I start doing what? I have a large cage and toys and food etc. But my friend said she is far from real food at the moment. I am already burdening my friend and don't want to ask her. I am fetching my baby in an hour she has since gotten many new colours and is hand feeding very well, asking for food and flapping her wings when eating.

TLDR.
1. How old is a baby pineapple conure that didn't get any colour yet but they eyes are open. 3 weeks +-?? I attached a picture.
2. When do I start introducing her to foods to get used to the taste of chop and pellets.
3. What other things should I be aware of cage size and sleeping arrangement while she is still small? Attached picture of cage we bought.
May I ask what the accident was that caused it im so sorry for your loss I just got a new pineapple conure and im trying to learn as much and don’t want to make any mistakes.

OP
melissa87

melissa87

Jan 6, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
May I ask what the accident was that caused it im so sorry for your loss I just got a new pineapple conure and im trying to learn as much and don’t want to make any mistakes.
Yes of course if it can help anyone. We fell asleep.with him in the bed and he crawled under my husband and passed away. It was horrible. Best is a no napping while baby is out of his cage.

Jsinmxsic

Apr 3, 2024
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
Yes of course if it can help anyone. We fell asleep.with him in the bed and he crawled under my husband and passed away. It was horrible. Best is a no napping while baby is out of his cage.
Aww I’m so sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing your experience and I hope your new baby warms your heart and helps your grief.

Most Reactions

Latest posts