Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Hi I just joined this forum so I can learn from you and enrich my new friend Buddy's world. This past weekend I was welcomed Buddy into my home after both his owners passed away. Very sad situation, my cousin Rita passed in October, and last week her husband passed from a broken heart. Her son phoned me and asked if I wanted Buddy. The interesting thing is that for the last 6 months I had been looking at cockatoos, African Greys, and macaws, and in November had visited a cockatoo named Crockett trying to determine if this was what I wanted to do and if we'd be a good fit.

Well so far Buddy and I have been doing great. He's a Red Crowned Amazon (Mexican Red Head, Green Cheek, lots of nicknames), and a real ladies man. My husband is not sure of him and has never had a bird, I've had budgies and cockatiels so this is new but not completely. The third day here Buddy wanted out of his cage, sat on my shoulder and we've been bonding since. So here is what I hope to learn. He's been on a strict seed diet, he needs some grooming, so this week I cut way back on his seed and have been introducing fruits and veggies recommended like bell pepper, a couple of leafy greens (going very light on those), Apple, mango, carrot, air popped popcorn, and tonight I introduced a strawberry. He's trying them but he goes back to his seed, work in progress.

While he's lively, talks, whistles and mimics, he doesn't play. Any suggestions to peak his interest? He has a very roomy cage, he comes out and goes to the top but is not interested in balls, bells, not even shredding things )yet). Tonight I sprinkled water to see how he liked it. My budgie and cockatiel loved war more than I wanted them too. Buddy didn't like it. One thing, tomorrow I'm taking him to an avian vet for an initial check up, beak trim and any other wellness needs. I do not know how old he is other than he is between 10 - 20 years old. He has a breeder band so I'm hoping we can find his age.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. He a joy to have and I want him healthy and active. Thanks!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Welcome to you and Buddy :) I'm sorry to hear though, about how you came to acquire him. I think the Mexican Red Headed (as we call them here in SoCal) are gorgeous Amazons.
That's great that he has been trying the fresh foods already. They're commonly very stubborn after a long term seed diet. Maybe he'll be fairly easy to convert, for the fact that he's already trying things.

Don't worry about him playing yet. He's still settling in his new environment and getting to know you and everything around him. As he gets more used to it, you'll see his "real" personality start to emerge. If he didn't really have toys before, it might take time as you show him how to play with them. Eventually, foraging toys would be a great thing to keep him busy and entertained. Toys where he has to work at 'figuring out' how to get a seed or nut out of a toy.

We'd love to see pictures!!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Welcome to the forum. Buddy is lucky to have someone like you. Hope to see you around.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your family members! That's a sad way to begin life with a new parrot, but I bet you and Buddy will make a perfect team after the descriptions you've given us. I think you're doing all the right things and this will have a really positive impact on Buddy and his health. Once he's really settled in, you'll learn to read his body language and then begin to find the sorts of toys that appeal to him. I wish you both luck in your life together and hope you'll enjoy being part of our forum! :)

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
It took several months for my Amazons to play in front of me. I purchased them in November, and just recently they started gnawing on wooden blocks, carrying them around, and generally acknowledging other toys while I'm with them. Buddy has been through a lot in the last several months. He lost one member of his small flock, and now another is gone. To add to his stress, he has been moved to another home. While parrots are adaptable to new situations, they do miss the people who had them, and will look for certain behaviors from you.

This will be a learning experience for both of you. Even if you are an experienced bird owner, every parrot has its own set of ideas of how to interact with you. You will have a range of behaviors to deal with, and the best thing you can do is give him time. As he seems to settle in, start teaching him basic behaviors such as getting on the stick, your hand, and other simple tricks.

Be patient and soon Buddy will be your buddy!

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986