Hello! Recently Adopted Blind Macaw

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Rain, deep respect for adopting a sightless macaw! Her sweet disposition bodes well for bonding and building trust over the next few weeks. She's a magnificent beauty!!

OP
M

Mom2Rain

Apr 27, 2022
Parrots
Greenwing Macaw
Welcome to you and Rain, deep respect for adopting a sightless macaw! Her sweet disposition bodes well for bonding and building trust over the next few weeks. She's a magnificent beauty!!
Hi Scott! Thank you for the warm welcome. There are definitely some challenges, but Rain is adjusting nicely. She has gotten to the point where she recognizes all of our voices as part of her 'new normal'. We have achieved 'head scratch' status with all members which is a huge difference from the first night. We are looking forward to seeing her full personality emerge as she becomes more comfortable with us. So far, so good. They are so vulnerable without sight, we have to be careful and go slow.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi Scott! Thank you for the warm welcome. There are definitely some challenges, but Rain is adjusting nicely. She has gotten to the point where she recognizes all of our voices as part of her 'new normal'. We have achieved 'head scratch' status with all members which is a huge difference from the first night. We are looking forward to seeing her full personality emerge as she becomes more comfortable with us. So far, so good. They are so vulnerable without sight, we have to be careful and go slow.
Good good!

You may find that Rain is upset by strange new voices in your home. My Magoo thought new voices were scary, especially men’s. Or, maybe she will be fine. Perhaps Magoo’s fear was due to bring mistreated, as someone must have hit him to damage his eyes and beak like that.

Does Rain walk around using her beak exactly like a cane? Magoo would put his beak out in front of him and swing it in a circle until he hit something interesting.

I’m cleaning my apartment (need to get some sleep tonight) but I want to scan in my old photos of Magoo, and my old photos of Lucy. Two such nice birds.

OP
M

Mom2Rain

Apr 27, 2022
Parrots
Greenwing Macaw
Good good!

You may find that Rain is upset by strange new voices in your home. My Magoo thought new voices were scary, especially men’s. Or, maybe she will be fine. Perhaps Magoo’s fear was due to bring mistreated, as someone must have hit him to damage his eyes and beak like that.

Does Rain walk around using her beak exactly like a cane? Magoo would put his beak out in front of him and swing it in a circle until he hit something interesting.

I’m cleaning my apartment (need to get some sleep tonight) but I want to scan in my old photos of Magoo, and my old photos of Lucy. Two such nice birds.
I would love to see the pictures of Mangoo. Who is Lucy? To answer your question, yes, Rain uses her beak to 'feel' things out before she takes a step into unfamiliar territory. She isn't fearful of new voices, but definitely curious. The only time she really makes any noise is when she calls out to a new voice she doesn't recognize. She calls out "HI!" and "HELLO RAIN!" when she is unsure. Usually she is quiet with some content noises when she eats one of her favorite nuts.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I want to wish you a late welcome, I'm so glad you joined us!
Rain is gorgeous, and it's obvious that her former family chose well. Your love is in every word of your post, and I'm so looking forward to reading about your journey with her.

OP
M

Mom2Rain

Apr 27, 2022
Parrots
Greenwing Macaw
I want to wish you a late welcome, I'm so glad you joined us!
Rain is gorgeous, and it's obvious that her former family chose well. Your love is in every word of your post, and I'm so looking forward to reading about your journey with her.
Thank you so much for your warm welcome. After two weeks, we have achieved a small level of trust as she will now step up to our arm for a short amount of time. Just happened today for the first time. It has to be on her terms.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would love to see the pictures of Mangoo. Who is Lucy? To answer your question, yes, Rain uses her beak to 'feel' things out before she takes a step into unfamiliar territory. She isn't fearful of new voices, but definitely curious. The only time she really makes any noise is when she calls out to a new voice she doesn't recognize. She calls out "HI!" and "HELLO RAIN!" when she is unsure. Usually she is quiet with some content noises when she eats one of her favorite nuts.
I will see if I can scan in some old photos of Magoo. Lucy was my very old green Quaker parakeet (she was blind on one side). Magoo was usually very quiet but Lucy was quite conversational in my apartment.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to you and Rain.
How did she loose her sight?

Thanks for taking her in and making her part of your family . And getting a health check!

Sounds like she is settling in wonderfully.

Most Reactions

Latest posts