Pineapple conure died of ataxia

JenA

May 26, 2022
Parrots
3 conures
Hello, I am the owner of 3 conures, all under 2 years old. We did have 4, but Christmas day our baby pineapple was found dead in her cage. The previous two weeks were a struggle for her; she all of a sudden could not walk, feed herself, it was like she was paralyzed on one side. She could not perch or sit on our shoulders. We could only just hold her in the palms of our hands. It was so sad, and we brought her to an avian vet who said she had a neurological issue, but did not say what. She gave us medication to give her for 5 days that would reduce brain swelling if that was happening, but it did no good. We just don't know how a healthy bird could change that dramatically overnight. To find her lifeless was shocking as I thought with the medicine she would get better. Christmas Eve she started flying erratically (she'd done this three times during the two weeks she was sick) and low to the ground, bumping into things. I think she was blind the last couple of days too. The whole thing is devastating and we miss her so much. We have no answers which is making things worse. Our other three birds are healthy and did not contract anything from her. Anyone have any experience like this? The grief over such a shocking illness and death is difficult.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello, I am the owner of 3 conures, all under 2 years old. We did have 4, but Christmas day our baby pineapple was found dead in her cage. The previous two weeks were a struggle for her; she all of a sudden could not walk, feed herself, it was like she was paralyzed on one side. She could not perch or sit on our shoulders. We could only just hold her in the palms of our hands. It was so sad, and we brought her to an avian vet who said she had a neurological issue, but did not say what. She gave us medication to give her for 5 days that would reduce brain swelling if that was happening, but it did no good. We just don't know how a healthy bird could change that dramatically overnight. To find her lifeless was shocking as I thought with the medicine she would get better. Christmas Eve she started flying erratically (she'd done this three times during the two weeks she was sick) and low to the ground, bumping into things. I think she was blind the last couple of days too. The whole thing is devastating and we miss her so much. We have no answers which is making things worse. Our other three birds are healthy and did not contract anything from her. Anyone have any experience like this? The grief over such a shocking illness and death is difficult.
While I have not had the experience of losing a beloved one to ataxia, I have gone through the roller-coaster of emotions brought on by having a sick bird long-term, taking her to the vet, having so much hope that the treatments prescribed would work and then having the whole thing come crashing down when I lost her anyway. That's what happened with my little Lilly the lorikeet, you can see her in my avatar. The grief can be debilitating and I can empathise completely with how you feel - I lost my Lilly two years ago and thinking about the way I lost her still makes me cry to this day and probably always will. Even if we know that we did everything we could to save them and that they wouldn't want us to hurt this way isn't enough to stop the tears. I'm so glad you are here among people who truly do understand how much this kind of loss hurts though, and I'm sending hugs, prayers, love and strength to you as you endure this, I'm so deeply sorry for your loss 💔

OP
J

JenA

May 26, 2022
Parrots
3 conures
While I have not had the experience of losing a beloved one to ataxia, I have gone through the roller-coaster of emotions brought on by having a sick bird long-term, taking her to the vet, having so much hope that the treatments prescribed would work and then having the whole thing come crashing down when I lost her anyway. That's what happened with my little Lilly the lorikeet, you can see her in my avatar. The grief can be debilitating and I can empathise completely with how you feel - I lost my Lilly two years ago and thinking about the way I lost her still makes me cry to this day and probably always will. Even if we know that we did everything we could to save them and that they wouldn't want us to hurt this way isn't enough to stop the tears. I'm so glad you are here among people who truly do understand how much this kind of loss hurts though, and I'm sending hugs, prayers, love and strength to you as you endure this, I'm so deeply sorry for your loss 💔
Thank you so much for your kind words. The grief of losing such a young bird is devastating. I am sorry for your loss as well. I lost another conure a few years ago too to a tragic accident that I still blame myself for. Knowing that others can relate helps.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You have my sympathies! Most of us on here have lost a treasured little one at some point, I know I have. Mine just ..... went. One day fine and next evening I found Maxie on the bottom of the cage. No warning, no signs. At least you had some inklings of an issue. ITs very heartbreaking. One must try to remember the good times with him, it does help and over time it will heal.

OP
J

JenA

May 26, 2022
Parrots
3 conures
You have my sympathies! Most of us on here have lost a treasured little one at some point, I know I have. Mine just ..... went. One day fine and next evening I found Maxie on the bottom of the cage. No warning, no signs. At least you had some inklings of an issue. ITs very heartbreaking. One must try to remember the good times with him, it does help and over time it will heal.
Thank you and I'm so sorry for your loss as well! Yes it is hard with not knowing what actually happened, there is no closure. I just put our 17 year old cat down and he was very close to me, but his passing was easier than my little bird passing because he lived his life and was happy and healthy. My little bird was only a year and a half so it just seems not fair. But thank you for your kind words.

ShirleyJean1966

Nov 11, 2023
Parrots
My Macaw of 30 years Scooter passed away unexpectedly this year. We miss her terribly. I would love to re-home an African Grey or Macaw. We have Lots of love and fun to offer.
So sorry for your loss of Pineapple! My Blue Gold Macaw Scooter at age 30 passed last August suddenly. We had no sign she was I'll in any way. We think she passed of a heart attack. It was fast and we miss her so much after having her 18 years. Birds are part of our families and like losing family. Best wishes with your remaining flock. God bless you!

OP
J

JenA

May 26, 2022
Parrots
3 conures
So sorry for your loss of Pineapple! My Blue Gold Macaw Scooter at age 30 passed last August suddenly. We had no sign she was I'll in any way. We think she passed of a heart attack. It was fast and we miss her so much after having her 18 years. Birds are part of our families and like losing family. Best wishes with your remaining flock. God bless you!
Thank you very much for your kind words, I am sorry for your loss as well. That is a long time to have such a companion.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
My condolences that's so sad to hear. It's always sad when we loose our feathered friends.
Not knowing why or how is a torment that is hard to accept. Why do some people get cancer why do others die young. Sometimes we have no answers.
Another hard thing to accept is that we usually can't do anything about it.
Remember her memory and remember that all life is precious

Last edited:
OP
J

JenA

May 26, 2022
Parrots
3 conures
My condolences that's so sad to hear. It's always sad when we loose our feathered friends.
Not knowing why or how is a torment that is hard to accept. Why do some people get cancer why do others die young. Sometimes we have no answers.
Another hard thing to accept is that we usually can't do anything about it.
Remember her memory and remember that life all is precious
Thank you very much for your kind words.

Most Reactions

Latest posts