Hello you lovely people

CuppyCake

Dec 11, 2022
United States
Parrots
None yet
I don't actually have a bird, but I've been wanting one for probably 15 or so years. I hope that's ok. Having a job that required moving every few years and being away a lot made me put that dream on hold ... until now.
I'm officially settled down in my forever home and still dreaming of having a bird. I have read books, watched countless videos and still I'm hesitant about what bird I would be right for and vice versa. African Greys have always been the ones to make my heart flutter, but when I'm honest with myself I'm unsure if I could handle one.

Sooo.. here I am, hoping to read a lot and learn from all of you and get a better understanding of .. all of it.
I hope it's ok for me to be here. Much love to all.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome and as a good friend of mine would say: Be Welcomed!

It is more than okay for you to be here, it is in fact one of the best ways to understand what being owned by a Parrot is all about!!

Take a long look around your area and you will likely find a Parrot Rescue or two. I strongly recommend that you provide them your 'free service' and learn what is truly involved in being owned by a Parrot. You will start at the bottom and with time work up the ladder, too 'seeing' what matters.

Do not fall in love with the first big Mac's that wants your attention, as they can be lovers and draw in the new and unwary only to break their hearts when the next newbie comes into the shop.

After you have been there a few weeks, you will begin noting Parrots that 'want' to be around you and others that don't want anything to do with you!! Reality, Parrots are much better at choosing us than we are at choose them.

At about the six week point, you will have determined if Parrots are for you and likely have found at least one that is very interested in You!

Grey's are highly intelligent and require someone that will interact with them at that level. Expect them to study you before approving of you, so it maybe a few weeks before one starts expressing an interest in you.

Big Mac's that will stay interested in you over time, yes!!

Enjoy the process!! Being Owned By a Parrot is a Wonderful Thing!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Such great advice from 'Boats, a good friend and one of the most experienced members here on Parrot Forums. Studying about parrots is all well and good, however nothing takes the place of actual 1 on 1 experience. Leave yourself open to include all parrot and you will be surprised !

Most Reactions

Latest posts