Help! AGS Rust Paint for chipped cage?

LunaG13

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
Luna- White Bellied Caique
Has anyone used this paint for their cages?

I just bought this new Borneo cage from Exotic Nutrition. It shipped in panels in 3 large boxes. I'm mostly happy with it, but some of the panels have very small areas of chipping powder coating or corners where it seems the powder coating did not totally finish/cover. I reached out to the company and they recommended using AGS rust paint to cover those areas. I asked if the paint was safe and they said it is similar to what they use in their powder coating and that it is pet safe.

I'm REALLY worried about safety. I just wanted a bigger cage for my caique to have lots of room to move and play and fly, but they are incredibly hard to find with small enough bar spacing. Short of buying a massive aviary or custom cage there are really not other options. The idea of taking this whole cage apart and finding a way to ship it back is overwhelming to even begin thinking about. I can ask them to replace the panels, but am worried I'll end up with a similar issue with what they send as replacements.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

unnamed5.jpegunnamed3.jpegunnamed.jpegunnamed2.jpegunnamed4.jpeg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You have a brand new, powder coated, cage and it shows signs of chipping and wear areas!! If you keep this cage, what will it look like in one year of use, how about five years or ten years? We have a now ten year old cage from Bird Cages 4 Less and it has zero chips and zero signs of wear.

Regardless of what paint they recommend for repair, the base power coat, out of the box, is failing! If it was me, I would return that cage and ask them for a replacement!

Being worried about the quality of the replace is worthy, but that implies that there is a general concern of quality in your mind. The wear /chipping implies process problems, i.e. improper prep and heat temperature not warm enough.

Your choose,

OP
LunaG13

LunaG13

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
Luna- White Bellied Caique
You have a brand new, powder coated, cage and it shows signs of chipping and wear areas!! If you keep this cage, what will it look like in one year of use, how about five years or ten years? We have a now ten year old cage from Bird Cages 4 Less and it has zero chips and zero signs of wear.

Regardless of what paint they recommend for repair, the base power coat, out of the box, is failing! If it was me, I would return that cage and ask them for a replacement!

Being worried about the quality of the replace is worthy, but that implies that there is a general concern of quality in your mind. The wear /chipping implies process problems, i.e. improper prep and heat temperature not warm enough.

Your choose,
Well put. Thank you. Any advice finding on a large cage (larger than 32x22x36) with less than 1” bar spacing?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Well put. Thank you. Any advice finding on a large cage (larger than 32x22x36) with less than 1” bar spacing?
Once again I'm probably going to get lots of hostile backlash but I have many cages with this identical "hammered" type coating and even when it arrives after shipping from the far east where are these economical cages are manufactured with tiny chips, etc, the coating has held up terrific after 8 years of continuous use by small parrots. The chips have not gotten larger or spread at all. I wouldn't touch it up with anything because nothing you can spray or brush on can adhere the way the baked on coating does and would probably flake off pretty quickly for your bird to possibly swallow. Any replacement panels you receive will likely have similar small areas of damage setting you up for an endless cycle of shipping and returns. Just my two cents, which is probably worth about that much.

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
Once again I'm probably going to get lots of hostile backlash but I have many cages with this identical "hammered" type coating and even when it arrives after shipping from the far east where are these economical cages are manufactured with tiny chips, etc, the coating has held up terrific after 8 years of continuous use by small parrots. The chips have not gotten larger or spread at all. I wouldn't touch it up with anything because nothing you can spray or brush on can adhere the way the baked on coating does and would probably flake off pretty quickly for your bird to possibly swallow. Any replacement panels you receive will likely have similar small areas of damage setting you up for an endless cycle of shipping and returns. Just my two cents, which is probably worth about that much.
I agree with DonnaBudgie!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I agree with DonnaBudgie!
Thank you! I KNOW it's disappointing to receive merchandise you paid your hard earned money for that arrives from God knows where in less than perfect condition especially when your beloved babies' welfare MAY be at stake, but this sort of damage is so typical and I've never seen it to be a problem.
On the other hand, I bought a big cage for my Goffins Cockatoo, Casper, 30 years and the white powder coating was nothing more than white enamel paint! Casper proceeded to run his beak up and down the bars joyfully removing all the paint he could reach over a one week period before the seller provided me with a replacement cage that had been properly powder coated, so I feel your pain when the defect is truly an issue!

Most Reactions

Latest posts