Help Finding Cage

Vanessa.V

May 4, 2018
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Elly - sun conure
Oswin - budgie
I am making plans to bring home a Bronze Winged Pionus in the near future! Right now I am looking for a cage and found this Borneo cage by Exotic Nutrition that I love. It is meant for sugar gliders, but people in the reviews have used it for their parrots.

I really love that the doors open to give full access to the cage, making cleaning and rearranging toys/perches way easier. I also love that I could add an extension to it to make it larger.

The spacing on this particular cage is 1/2”. Do you think that bar spacing is too small for a pionus?

My sun conure is in a large cage with 3/4” spacing, and I was willing to maybe move her into the Borneo cage and have the pionus in her current cage if a 3/4” spacing would be better.

Alternatively, if anyone could recommend similar cages to this Borneo one that has a flat top and full height doors that would be awesome! I couldn’t find anything like it with larger bar spacing during my search.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I am making plans to bring home a Bronze Winged Pionus in the near future! Right now I am looking for a cage and found this Borneo cage by Exotic Nutrition that I love. It is meant for sugar gliders, but people in the reviews have used it for their parrots.

I really love that the doors open to give full access to the cage, making cleaning and rearranging toys/perches way easier. I also love that I could add an extension to it to make it larger.

The spacing on this particular cage is 1/2”. Do you think that bar spacing is too small for a pionus?

My sun conure is in a large cage with 3/4” spacing, and I was willing to maybe move her into the Borneo cage and have the pionus in her current cage if a 3/4” spacing would be better.

Alternatively, if anyone could recommend similar cages to this Borneo one that has a flat top and full height doors that would be awesome! I couldn’t find anything like it with larger bar spacing during my search.
I think the bar spacing is fine for a Pionus. My understanding is that bar spacing is mostly an issue if it's too big, not too small, so that the occupant doesn't get its head stuck between bars that are too far apart.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I love that cage! I considered it for a long time but ended up wanting white. I had a former coworker who had it for her chinchilla and it was so easy to clean!!

I've read that too-small bar spacing could be an issue if they ever get their wing through bars then can't get it back in, but I would think that 1/2" would be ok for a Pionus (from the size of the only one I've met anyway).

Congratulations by the way!!! 🎉

OP
Vanessa.V

Vanessa.V

May 4, 2018
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Elly - sun conure
Oswin - budgie
I love that cage! I considered it for a long time but ended up wanting white. I had a former coworker who had it for her chinchilla and it was so easy to clean!!

I've read that too-small bar spacing could be an issue if they ever get their wing through bars then can't get it back in, but I would think that 1/2" would be ok for a Pionus (from the size of the only one I've met anyway).

Ahh that makes sense. I knew larger spacing could be potentially dangerous, but wasn’t sure about smaller spacing.

Thanks so much! I’m very excited. A Bronze Winged Pionus has been on my wishlist for a very long time, and I finally found some that are available.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am envious of you getting a bronze wing..
The doors are an advantage and disadvantage at the same time.

The cage doesn’t look like it has built in food/water dish access. If not you will have to feed/water your bird through the main door giving your bird an easy escape route.
You may be thinking your bird will be out of the cage so much of the time it’s ok but there will be times it turns into a major problem.

please post lots of photos of your bronze wing.
That’s one bird that if I ran across one in a pet store my plastic would be out of my wallet so fast your head would spin.

OP
Vanessa.V

Vanessa.V

May 4, 2018
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Elly - sun conure
Oswin - budgie
I am envious of you getting a bronze wing..
The doors are an advantage and disadvantage at the same time.

The cage doesn’t look like it has built in food/water dish access. If not you will have to feed/water your bird through the main door giving your bird an easy escape route.
You may be thinking your bird will be out of the cage so much of the time it’s ok but there will be times it turns into a major problem.

please post lots of photos of your bronze wing.
That’s one bird that if I ran across one in a pet store my plastic would be out of my wallet so fast your head would spin.
I will definitely let you all know when he/she arrives! I am still very much in the planning phase, but am in communication with someone who has them. You bring up a very good point regarding the food/water bowls! I’ll have to think about that for sure!

LunaG13

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
Luna- White Bellied Caique
I will definitely let you all know when he/she arrives! I am still very much in the planning phase, but am in communication with someone who has them. You bring up a very good point regarding the food/water bowls! I’ll have to think about that for sure!
Did you end up getting that cage? I like the size of it and bar spacing, but I'd love an option with doors for the food cups. How do you manage this?

LunaG13

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots

Can I ask what kind of cage you ended getting? I'm looking for a large cage with smaller bar spacing. I like this one, but wish it had doors for the food cups. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

LunaG13

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
I just bought the borneo cage with the add on. I am planning to attempt to modify it and add a feeding station linked below. Anyone have experience cutting the wire on these cages? Planning to use something like JB weld to cover the cut ends so there's no chipping and then use this feeding door system which ultimately will cover the cut ends anyway by sandwiching it between the two panels so there won't be any access to the cut ends for chewing or getting into trouble. 🤞 hoping this plan works. I just got the cage delivered and need to put it together. The feeding system will take a few weeks to arrive. We'll see how it goes.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I just bought the borneo cage with the add on. I am planning to attempt to modify it and add a feeding station linked below. Anyone have experience cutting the wire on these cages? Planning to use something like JB weld to cover the cut ends so there's no chipping and then use this feeding door system which ultimately will cover the cut ends anyway by sandwiching it between the two panels so there won't be any access to the cut ends for chewing or getting into trouble. 🤞 hoping this plan works. I just got the cage delivered and need to put it together. The feeding system will take a few weeks to arrive. We'll see how it goes.

I saw that Borneo cage and really liked it. I like the horizontal bars that are easy for parrots to climb and look pretty closely spaced. Its big with lots of potential for expansion. Personally I would just use metal food bowls that fit into metal rings instead of the rotating feeding system which seems kinda unnecessary but you must have good reasons for wanting it. My only concern would be the enormous doors make it hard to keep your birds inside when you want to service the cage without the birds getting out, but perhaps that's why you want the rotating feeding system. With that and the sliding tray at the bottom you won't really need to open the doors unless you want to take your birds out.

LunaG13

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
I saw that Borneo cage and really liked it. I like the horizontal bars that are easy for parrots to climb and look pretty closely spaced. Its big with lots of potential for expansion. Personally I would just use metal food bowls that fit into metal rings instead of the rotating feeding system which seems kinda unnecessary but you must have good reasons for wanting it. My only concern would be the enormous doors make it hard to keep your birds inside when you want to service the cage without the birds getting out, but perhaps that's why you want the rotating feeding system. With that and the sliding tray at the bottom you won't really need to open the doors unless you want to take your birds out.
Yes, people had discussed above in the thread the concern about not having food doors so I just wanted to share my plan. I mostly want this option so I can make quick changes to her food and water without opening the doors when I don't have time to let her out and so that others can help care for her who are less experienced or who she just doesn't like very much 😂

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yes, people had discussed above in the thread the concern about not having food doors so I just wanted to share my plan. I mostly want this option so I can make quick changes to her food and water without opening the doors when I don't have time to let her out and so that others can help care for her who are less experienced or who she just doesn't like very much 😂
Smart idea. If someone else has to feed her they may have difficulty keeping her from getting out and then trying to get her back in. Everything else about the cage is great.

Most Reactions