Help!! Beak problem?

Readingexcalibur

Feb 14, 2014
Help. I purchased a macaw for my family and am concerned about a soft whitish spot on both sides of his bottom beak. It is right at the base of where his beaks connect. He is eating fine, but I don't know what this could be? It seems to be like skin over the beak.
image_zps14188ef8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That's just the baby part of the beak as it will go away as your baby matures a bit more.

OP
R

Readingexcalibur

Feb 14, 2014
Awesome! My mom has a 7 month old macaw that didn't have this. I am a worry bug when it comes to my family members you know!

I was worried it was a cist or tumors of some sort.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Yours looks way young....how old is yours???

OP
R

Readingexcalibur

Feb 14, 2014
He is young. Probably too young. The store said he is 7 weeks old.

Here is some better pics. Mind the mess, he just had his dinner and I'm not that good with the syringe yet. He bumped it with the syringe when gulping aggressively. And not it's open... I feel like I am in a heep of trouble with this little guy.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I would say he's between 6-7 weeks old from the looks of it. You should use a warm wash cloth to clean off the formula off the nostril and face to prevent infection!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
"I will do! Any idea what I may be dealing with otherwise?"

A feathery ball of fire once he's fully weaned! He's so tiny now, I think that will be a wonderful experience for you to watch him grow (and he will get big fast). I bet he's going to be a beautiful boy when he gets all his feathers :)

Most Reactions